Home – New Forums Logistics Importing via Australia Post

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ramps
    • Total posts: 36
    Up
    ::

Does anyone bring in goods (parcels) from overseas via Australia Post. That is Im interested in getting my supplier to stick my products into parcels (boxes) and try and get the stuff into Australia.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation. I understand the rules regarding the $1000 limit etc. Im just wondering what the process is when the parcels arrive in Australia at Australia Post. How does customs become involved in this situation or do they? Can anyone explain.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

A few months ago I imported some goods through Australia Post from the US. They go through Customs where they are checked for value and if any import duties are applicable. If duties are applicable, Customs contacts you (so contact details must be clear) and ask for payment via credit card or whatever BEFORE releasing the goods to be delivered by Australia post.

The process is easier for smaller quantities with Australia Post and there’s no need to get a third party or extra courier involved.

AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    KarenC, post: 20760 wrote:
    A few months ago I imported some goods through Australia Post from the US. They go through Customs where they are checked for value and if any import duties are applicable. If duties are applicable, Customs contacts you (so contact details must be clear) and ask for payment via credit card or whatever BEFORE releasing the goods to be delivered by Australia post.

The process is easier for smaller quantities with Australia Post and there’s no need to get a third party or extra courier involved.

Hi Karen

How would customs know what the value of the goods are? The supplier wont stick the invoice to the box im sure or do they just need to write the value on a form when posting? just to double check, postage and insurance etc is not included in the $1000 limit?

Did you ever order a parcel from 2 suppliers at the same time, Karen? If so, does customs calculate the value of both parcels to determine duties and tax (so if each are under $1000 you still pay tax when both are combined)?
    I heard this is something they might do if a few parcels are coming in for you at once, but im not sure if that is only if the packages are from the same supplier, or from different ones too

thanks
    Linda

kym.oberauer
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi guys,

Check out this link: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingGoodsByPostFAQ.pdf

I regularly import goods from the US via the postal service. As part of the process the supplier attaches documentation to the outside of the box. This includes the value and a description of the items.

I try to keep the value under $1000 AUS including the postage fees as I believe this is included in the value calculation (but I may be wrong). I prefer to have a little breathing room especially considering fluctuations in the dollar.

It would also be a good idea to investigate if Australia has a free trade agreement with the country you are importing from. We have one with the US so all my parcels are duty free where the criteria are met and the correct forms are completed by the supplier.

Try to spread the deliveries out a little just to be safe so customs don’t combine the value of your parcels together. I have not had this happen but have heard of it happening.

And one last thing…I use a foreign exchange broker to pay orders. This way you get a better exchange rate than the banks, avoid costly credit card fees and is much quicker than international cheques etc. I’ve been using http://www.afex.com/australia/index.html for a couple of years now and they have been very good.

Hope this helps,

Kym.

AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    kso_it, post: 21119 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Check out this link: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingGoodsByPostFAQ.pdf

I regularly import goods from the US via the postal service. As part of the process the supplier attaches documentation to the outside of the box. This includes the value and a description of the items.

I try to keep the value under $1000 AUS including the postage fees as I believe this is included in the value calculation (but I may be wrong). I prefer to have a little breathing room especially considering fluctuations in the dollar.

It would also be a good idea to investigate if Australia has a free trade agreement with the country you are importing from. We have one with the US so all my parcels are duty free where the criteria are met and the correct forms are completed by the supplier.

Try to spread the deliveries out a little just to be safe so customs don’t combine the value of your parcels together. I have not had this happen but have heard of it happening.

And one last thing…I use a foreign exchange broker to pay orders. This way you get a better exchange rate than the banks, avoid costly credit card fees and is much quicker than international cheques etc. I’ve been using http://www.afex.com/australia/index.html for a couple of years now and they have been very good.

Hope this helps,

Kym.

Kym, your post was invaluable! I saw that customs site before and i thought i’d have to send invoices to customs for every order before its cleared lol so its a good thing the supplier will attach the details outside the box.

I think the postage isnt included as they say the value of the goods is calculated for duties excluding postage if its over $1000. but youre right about fluctuating exchange rates and being safe..

The free trade thing sounds like a godsend. I have a couple of suppliers from the US so what would ensure that “the criteria is met”?
    what forms would need to be filled out by the supplier?

Thanks again,
    Linda

kym.oberauer
    Up

Hi Linda,

Have a look at this link: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5498.asp

At the bottom, there are some example statements that your supplier would need to fill out. What I did to make the process easier for them was to create the form myself and just have them sign it etc.

The criteria relates to the rules of origin. To be eligible to waive the duty the items you import must adhere to the rules set out in this document:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/notices/ACN04039.pdf

Please note that some types of imports are not covered and you would need to see how this relates to you.

Cheers,

Kym.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

don’t forget to make sure the sender insures the goods as well….

Grounded
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    kso_it, post: 21119 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Hope this helps,

Kym.

Hi Kym,
    What sort of fees do AFEX charge. I assume you use them because they not only get a better exchange rate, but basically cost you less than the banks overall?

Mark

kym.oberauer
    Up
    Grounded, post: 21251 wrote:
    Hi Kym,
    What sort of fees do AFEX charge. I assume you use them because they not only get a better exchange rate, but basically cost you less than the banks overall?

Mark

Hi Mark,

It costs me $10 per transaction plus they take a small percentage of the exchange rate. Say it is currently 0.91, they will offer 0.90 to .905 etc.

Cheers,

Kym.

Grounded
    Up
    kso_it, post: 21339 wrote:
    Hi Mark,

It costs me $10 per transaction plus they take a small percentage of the exchange rate. Say it is currently 0.91, they will offer 0.90 to .905 etc.

Cheers,

Kym.

Thank you Kym
    Mark

Ramps
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Its been a very busy time for me the last few days, some terrific responses in this thread, one of the things I have to do early next week is organise my insurance stuff.

For an import company what are the necessary insurances to have. From making sure you get the goods to what types of insurance are needed at this end, if for example problems emerge.

Any assistance would again be greatly appreciated.

Grounded
    Up
    Ramps, post: 21406 wrote:
    Its been a very busy time for me the last few days, some terrific responses in this thread, one of the things I have to do early next week is organise my insurance stuff.

For an import company what are the necessary insurances to have. From making sure you get the goods to what types of insurance are needed at this end, if for example problems emerge.

Any assistance would again be greatly appreciated.

G’day Ramps,
    I’m in a similar spot. I don’t know what is going on with the insurance companies at present, it is so difficult just to get a quote back.

I have asked for Public/Products Liability mainly, for after sales coverage.
    If you are bringing your products in via ship you should cover them with marine insurance. If you are using a Freight Forwarder I am pretty certain they can look after this for you.

Just on Freight forwarders, if anyone can recommend one, that would be great. I don’t just mean do you know one, but can you HIGHLY recommend one that is fair priced and efficient.

Back to insurance. I got a quote from GIO, which is very reasonable.
    I have contacted 3 brokers, and they have not gotten back to me after a week?????

Mark

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.