Home – New Forums Logistics Importing – weighing up the costs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Busy Working Mum
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I am looking to set up a new business selling packaging, bags, food containers, etc to retail shops as well as to the public. I’m starting out small, so just a few key products, which i have researched thanks to a few business owners i know. I have found a few suppliers in Australia who can supply me in bulk, but i can get some things a lot cheaper direct from the manufacturer based in China.

Initially, i was thinking of purchasing from the Australian distributor to see how my sales go and gage interest in the products i have. Then maybe look at importing direct from the manufacturer in China.

I have been researching importing and think i have a grasp of the basics. I understand if i import goods valued at less than $1000 via sea, i have to lodge a SAC (Self Assessed Clearance) Declaration. This can be done via a Customs Broker or by me using the ICS (Intergrated Cargo System), but i need a digital certificate for this. At this point, i am beginning to find things getting a bit harder. If my goods are more than $1000, i need to pay additional fees and complete an Import Declaration.

I dont live near a port, so i wont be able to attend a Customs and Border Protection counter. What do other people do? I have read a few threads on here and I am wondering if i should use an agent/logistics service?

I welcome any feedback :)

Thanks

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

http://www.cif.com.au/
    Hi I have used these guys – they handled all my paperwork – not expensive hassle free for me. I used paypal (there are other options) for security/insurance reasons.
    I also believe we may have some FS freight importers that can offer a similar service. They take the stress out of importing. Use them, inexpensive and much easier.

All the best.

Matt Icon Logistics
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi Busy Working Mum,

A freight forwarder/customs broker would be able to advise you best on the most cost effective method of shipping and would also arrange the lodgement of the SAC or Import Declaration as required. Once the consignment is clear normally they would arrange delivery to your nominated delivery point. Most of this process can be done remotely and would not require your physical attendance. A forwarder/broker would also be able to obtain better Intl Freight rates due to larger buying power and the same would also apply to the local delivery once the consignment is clear. There are also certain deadlines and time restraints that your forwarder/broker needs to work within to avoid additional charges. Brokers are also in a position to check for duty concessions or advise on relevant trade agreements that may also apply.

It is certainly possible to complete this process yourself, but an oversight or an error on a document may/can result in additional charges that could easily exceed any cost saving that you would make. Also, it would be advantageous to build a relationship with a forwarder/broker so when you are importing full seafreight containers at a time you have the contacts in place

Regards

Matt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.