Home – New Forums Logistics Importing wooden items

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Taherk23
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

My name is Taher and this is my first post on FlyingSolo. Lately I have been thinking about starting up a business importing wooden items (typically artefacts made from Mahogany and Teak) from Sri Lanka.

I visited family over in Sri Lanka recently and was overwhelmed with the variety of wooden items on sale in the local market. I believe these items would be hugely popular in Australia. My family is already involved in importing / exporting and through them I have made some good contacts (manufacturers) who are willing to provide samples / catalogues of anything I may require. They have also offered to arrange to export goods from Sri Lanka provided I can fulfil customs requirements from my end (which I have heard is a complicated process).

At this stage I’m unsure whether to set up my own store or act as a middleman and sell to already established organisations. Either way, for me, the biggest challenge will be to tap into the market here in Australia, get to know potential customers and get my name out there.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Taher

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Taher,

Thanks for joining us at Flying Solo! Just want to wish you all the best and I hope to see you around the forums.

Please keep us up to date with your progress. :)

Dave

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

Hi Taher,

Great to hear you have family that is already familiar with importing/exporting.

A few major things to consider in regards to importing wooden items into Australia is the rules and regulations around this. A really good start is to visit the DAFF website and in particular the info about importing timber into Australia (http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/import/timber)

Also just be careful of the fumigation provider used in Sri Lanka as there are a few companies that have been suspended so there fumigation certificates are not accepted. Full list is here.

Cheers

Cat :)

Taherk23
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Cat,

This is great info, thanks. I was not aware that some fumigation providers have been backlisted.

Cheers,
    Taher

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Taherk23, post: 183249 wrote:
    Hi Cat,

This is great info, thanks. I was not aware that some fumigation providers have been backlisted.

Cheers,
    Taher

Hi Taher

Oh yeah, make sure you use some reputable.. its that same with China.. many dodgy forged certs around… many i say! LOL…

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.