Home – New Forums Other discussions Increased SPAM calls directly related to FS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi Peeps

Has anyone noticed in the last week or so an increase in Spam calls directly related to FS?

Over the last week i have been fielding 1 or 2 calls a day from Bangalore, they visit my site from clicking an FS post link and within moments on appearing on my site they then call with a “G’Day mate, just calling regarding your listing on FS and would like to gather some feedback”.. its almost like they are representing FS, although do not quite say that..

Would be interested to hear how you go.. they appear to be selling SEO, or web related improvements and always pay homage to whatever it is you do.. LOL

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’ve had SEO marketing type emails I can link to someone scraping the forum, not many … but I don’t have my email address anywhere obvious.

Calls no, but I don’t publish my number anywhere, don’t have the kind of business where I want or need to.

Couldn’t quite get the image on your screen capture, every time I do, that incredibly irritating Allianz add encroaches on the “lightbox” and obscures it (Chrome … if anyone wants, or needs to fix it).

I’m usually fairly oblivious to ads, and on the 13 inch screen you hardly notice it, but on the the 27 inch they’re unbelievably annoying … don’t mind FS getting the rent, but does anyone actually buy stuff through these?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    estim8, post: 151210 wrote:
    Couldn’t quite get the image on your screen capture, every time I do, that incredibly irritating Allianz add encroaches on the “lightbox” and obscures it (Chrome … if anyone wants, or needs to fix it).

I’m usually fairly oblivious to ads, and on the 13 inch screen you hardly notice it, but on the the 27 inch they’re unbelievably annoying … don’t mind FS getting the rent, but does anyone actually buy stuff through these?

Hi estim8,
    I see what you mean with the side ads going over the top of the image (we’ll need to update our template to avoid this). A direct link to the image will open it on a blank page to see the full thing: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/attachments/other-discussions/405d1360719043-increased-spam-calls-directly-related-fs-bangalore.jpg

Regarding the advertising, while we are working on ways to lessen our reliance on it, we still rely on advertisers to keep the lights on. Having said that, we are always keenly aware of the need to maintain a great experience for our members and readers and keep it all in balance. We’ve already passed on some feedback about this particular campaign and don’t hesitate to continue to offer feedback as we do listen and adjust as we go.

Cheers,
    Peter

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 151206 wrote:
    Hi Peeps
    Has anyone noticed in the last week or so an increase in Spam calls directly related to FS?
    Over the last week i have been fielding 1 or 2 calls a day from Bangalore, they visit my site from clicking an FS post link and within moments on appearing on my site they then call with a “G’Day mate, just calling regarding your listing on FS and would like to gather some feedback”.. its almost like they are representing FS, although do not quite say that..

Hi Jason,

Thanks for reporting this. We’ve investigated a couple of spam reports over the years where people claim to be associated with Flying Solo or other well-known Australian sites even though they are not members or associated with these sites.

What some of these spammers do is trawl popular sites on the internet looking for contact details (almost always email addresses) that are posted online and then claim to have some affiliation, which I guess they feel helps their ‘sales/spam’ responses.

While they can’t access any of our member data within our system, they can scrape content on public pages. In each case we’ve found that the email addresses or phone numbers are available on public threads, profile pages or sometimes forum signatures.

In your case I can see that your phone number appears on your Flying Solo directory listing in addition to your own website. Just let me know if you’d like to take your phone number off your FS directory listing to remove the association.

Online it’s always a balance between being easily contactable for genuine users but not attracting spammers.

In general, to avoid this on Flying Solo and similar forums, rather than publish your email address or phone number online you can ask users to send you a Private Message or email via the forum’s messaging system. That way they can send you a message but not access your contact details and you won’t need to disclose your email address publically. If you get any unwanted/spam private messages just hit the ‘report’ link and we can easily identify these members and block them. Alternatively you could link to the contact form on your website.

Thanks for your support and if you have any further messages or questions please let us know so we can address and continually improve our security.

Cheers,
    Peter

Greg_M
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 151257 wrote:
    Hi estim8,
    I see what you mean with the side ads going over the top of the image (we’ll need to update our template to avoid this). A direct link to the image will open it on a blank page to see the full thing: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/attachments/other-discussions/405d1360719043-increased-spam-calls-directly-related-fs-bangalore.jpg

Regarding the advertising, while we are working on ways to lessen our reliance on it, we still rely on advertisers to keep the lights on. Having said that, we are always keenly aware of the need to maintain a great experience for our members and readers and keep it all in balance. We’ve already passed on some feedback about this particular campaign and don’t hesitate to continue to offer feedback as we do listen and adjust as we go.

Cheers,
    Peter

I don’t have a problem with you guy’s running ads, its just this one that seems to get up my nose more than most … but maybe I’m just a grumpy old man :)

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    estim8, post: 151265 wrote:
    … but maybe I’m just a grumpy old man :)

We don’t view you as such…just open and honest…and we like that a lot!

Robert :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Ive had a few calls, one yesterday from a company stating they were replying to my request for lead generation.
    Not enough calls to bother me though.

Steve

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 151267 wrote:
    Ive had a few calls, one yesterday from a company stating they were replying to my request for lead generation.
    Not enough calls to bother me though.

Steve

Hey Steve

Not saying its a bother as such, really just curious if everyone else was getting hit as well… and feedback to FS, certainly not an issue as such… i actually find them quite funny, on occasions.. i sometimes entertain them, for a lil while.. :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 151258 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

Thanks for reporting this. We’ve investigated a couple of spam reports over the years where people claim to be associated with Flying Solo or other well-known Australian sites even though they are not members or associated with these sites.

What some of these spammers do is trawl popular sites on the internet looking for contact details (almost always email addresses) that are posted online and then claim to have some affiliation, which I guess they feel helps their ‘sales/spam’ responses.

While they can’t access any of our member data within our system, they can scrape content on public pages. In each case we’ve found that the email addresses or phone numbers are available on public threads, profile pages or sometimes forum signatures.

In your case I can see that your phone number appears on your Flying Solo directory listing in addition to your own website. Just let me know if you’d like to take your phone number off your FS directory listing to remove the association.

Online it’s always a balance between being easily contactable for genuine users but not attracting spammers.

In general, to avoid this on Flying Solo and similar forums, rather than publish your email address or phone number online you can ask users to send you a Private Message or email via the forum’s messaging system. That way they can send you a message but not access your contact details and you won’t need to disclose your email address publically. If you get any unwanted/spam private messages just hit the ‘report’ link and we can easily identify these members and block them. Alternatively you could link to the contact form on your website.

Thanks for your support and if you have any further messages or questions please let us know so we can address and continually improve our security.

Cheers,
    Peter

Afternoon Peter

Thanks for the detailed response.. its all good,,, was more doing it to gauge if others were also getting this, it has really only been recently and was curious of other members experience..

Cheers and keep up the good work,, loving the forum.. still..
    Jason

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

This is an interesting case thou, as I recently started getting heaps of ‘Unknown Caller’ calls to my mobile, and even posted a thread about it here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/other-discussions/23783-answering-unknown-caller-mobile.html, but as i never answered them, and they never left a VoiceMail message, I can’t say if it was associated with the FS forum at all. But as Peter said, “we are online”, so with the power of the internet we have to take the good with the bad.

Although I’ve also got my spam filter set to delete any spam messages greater than 3/100. There may be some legit messages that get deleted automatically but then if they want to contact me and I don’t reply to their email then they can call me… it’s all online.

Brent.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 151279 wrote:
    This is an interesting case thou, as I recently started getting heaps of ‘Unknown Caller’ calls to my mobile, and even posted a thread about it here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/other-discussions/23783-answering-unknown-caller-mobile.html, but as i never answered them, and they never left a VoiceMail message, I can’t say if it was associated with the FS forum at all. But as Peter said, “we are online”, so with the power of the internet we have to take the good with the bad.

Although I’ve also got my spam filter set to delete any spam messages greater than 3/100. There may be some legit messages that get deleted automatically but then if they want to contact me and I don’t reply to their email then they can call me… it’s all online.

Brent.

Hey Brent

Yeah i have read and posted in your thread.. interesting thing is, its not an ‘unknown’ call…. its routed out of Australian number.. ;)

Bit funny really

Cheers
    Jason

Greg_M
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 151281 wrote:
    Hey Brent

Yeah i have read and posted in your thread.. interesting thing is, its not an ‘unknown’ call…. its routed out of Australian number.. ;)

Bit funny really

Cheers
    Jason

maybe they read the other thread, and realised why no one was answering.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    estim8, post: 151283 wrote:
    maybe they read the other thread, and realised why no one was answering.

I think its Brent diverting his calls to me :D

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Nice sleuth work!

Not noticed any change here.
    We have never really had that issue and that’s mostly because of how we have setup our MondoTalk Cloud PBX.

If you have something that can do what I describe below I suggest you do it to.

When you call MondoTalk we have configured our Cloud PBX for us to Answer the phone call and greet our callers.

This is all you need as most telemarketing systems will hang up a connected phone call if they have not detected a human on the otherside with x secs where x is usually around 2-5 seconds.

Enjoy!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 151286 wrote:
    I think its Brent diverting his calls to me :D

Actually I’m the one diverting calls to you :)

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.