Home – New Forums Money matters Increasing pricing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Haven’t been a bit absent of late, but still extremely busy. Since starting the business in October 2010, we have worked hard to fight price increases through areas such as paper supplies, postage costs and so on. I have always worked hard to find ways of reducing our costs to counter these, but we have just been hit by another postage increase.

I wanted to find out how others have gone about advising of a price increase to their customers. My intention was to write to our customers, outlining all we have done to keep our costs down and explain that we are now in a position that we have to adjust our pricing to cover all of these additional expenses.

I just want to ensure that our customers know we are not simply taking the easy option of passing on cost increases.

If anyone has successfully done the above, would love to know how you went about it.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I can only imagine how busy you have been lately :)
    Coincidentally another thread has popped up today discussing the postage increase.

I have not increased my fees within my business before – and, thankfully these sorts of increases don’t really impact my business so not needing to immediately – but can see that a lot of people will need to.

In a past role, I was in charge of drafting and sending a letter out to clients to advise of a fee increase. As a general rule, giving people notice – and allowing them time to ‘get in’ at current fees before they increased seemed to work. In any letter you send, I don’t think you need to spend too much time justifying yourself. Short & Sweet:

– In almost three years you’ve maintained your low fees;
    – Unfortunately, with increases to supplies (including with Australia Post) you cannot continue to absorb all the additional costs;
    – As of fees will increase by X% or $X;
    – Proceed with a new order before X date and receive the current fees still
    – Trust you understand and I look forward to continuing to work with you.

Most people understand that businesses need to increase prices from time to time; everything goes up so it’s unreasonable to assume you will make no money in order to keep your fees down.

Plus – as a happy customer of yours already, I for one can say that your fees have always been ridiculously competitive! I am sure they will continue to be even with a price increase!

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Facts are fab, but don’t forget to tap into the emotion your customers will be feeling, and how you want them to feel too.

Best of luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.