Home – New Forums New here? Share your story independant consulting in Business Intelligence

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    37742#deleted
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I am wondering anyone here in Business Intellience (BI) business? I have been in this area for many years and since 2008 I have been working as contractor, and now registed a sole trader company. but I haven’t been able to gain 100% independance till today. I have still to rely on large consulting firms and labour hire agencies to procure work while myself is a full-scale consultant in the area. I find it hard to do direct marketing for myself. The Seek website is a pure job seeker website and has been dominated by labor hire agencies who do not know much about the business except thinking that you are hungry and need cash.

Any idea of how to move forward business-wise?
    Also does the ‘business class membership’ of this website worth the bucks?

Thanks in advance
    John

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi John,

I thought I’d jump in to answer your query about Business Class. We regularly get good testimonials from customers but the only way of discovering if it’s right for your business is to give it a go. The first three months are refundable if it doesn’t work out. A handful of customers have taken us up on this guarantee but only a tiny percentage (off the top of my head I’d say less than 1%).

I know there are some forum members who are Business Class members too and I welcome them to jump in with their feedback.

Hope that answers your question.

Sam

PS: Some more info is in this post http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/announcements-feedback/19627-more-ways-help-promote-businesses.html#post117311 and a list of paid member benefits is on the ‘tell me more’ icon here http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/membership/become-a-member/free

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks Sam. I would try the business class membership first. By the mean time I would very much appreciate thoughts, questions, oppinions from this forum. I do have a website that tells my business.

http://www.precisioninformation.com.au/

This webiste is a one year free template from myob atlas, but I found it quite limited in customisation.

ABC
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

John
    BI consulting can be hard to land when you are solo. My consulting within a global firm was more in the strategy area though did do quite a bit of BI once the strategy is approved. Many of my colleagues have gone solo and seem to find work through some of the following:
    * old consulting firm – per what you said, if they need extra pair of hands
    * labour hire
    * former clients – people who have known your work and abilitie are more likely to take the chance (harder for large corporates who only accept suppliers from approved vendor list)
    * former colleagues – who are now in house and know your work and abilities OR are doing consulting themselves and need an extra pair of hands
    * network – people who know people who know you
    * contracts – basically, instead of a vacancy, companies hire you on contracts for a specific piece of work or projects

Its not easy in this space but once you are known, it does get easier once you have a profile and a group of clients who know you and can recommend you. Linkedin can be a good way to store recommendations –

Hope this helps
    abcvic

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks abcvic. I am utilising linkedin. But to be honest I haven’t found it much helpful. And I doubt how much people really trust linked as the source of recommendation/reference can be made-up. However I am exploring more features. Soloist in BI can be doable if the clients’ own resources can be utilised by the consultant, which typically means the in-house BAU teams. I have experienced too much expansive and expensive BI projects which can be saved a great deal if the client’s own resources were propoerly utilised. Having just finished a contract I am now pondering what can be better at the next step while taking a short holiday.

By the way I am keen to connect to like-minded people either in or ouside of the field of BI. My public linedin url is
    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/john-hales/41/145/ba4

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo,

I have worked in places which have employed experts such as yourself and I understand why it might be hard to go it alone. Lots of your potential clients probably head straight to Stillwell or similar first.

First to business class – it depends on who you see to be your target market. A lot of the members here are in my target (SMEs with a marketing budget!) and the membership definitely brings work my way, even in a competitive field. It is, however, a very affordable way of marketing yourself.

Second, I think you need to put some time/effort/cash into a decent optimised and promoted website. For what you need (probably three pages – about, services, home), it won;t cost a great deal and you can even attempt it yourself with WordPress if you have any tech savvyness. Not only will it look far more professional, but it may help you be found by search engines and thus potential clients.

There are plenty of web designer, developers here. Or I can refer you to a couple of people that I work with regularly and trust.

Finally – you need to get out there and network, network, network. Join the local CofC or equivalent, go to events and expos where your target will be.

Good luck!

Nicole

Anonymous
    Up

Thanks Nicole for your valuable oppinions. The website was created as trial and sure needs shakeup. I may just need to find another place to park my domain and be able to customise my page to a magazine format. I’d also try wordpress. And I agree that an actvite marketing method is to attend events that provide networking opportunities.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.