Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Informal Geelong Network – c’mon we’re not THAT small!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tim Davies
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Just starting a business myself with a friend and what we’ve already found is that any ‘network’ you’re looking to join seems to cost. Even free ‘networks’ cost to listen to speakers that have no relevance to your business!

Im interested in a number of things. A couple of which at the top of my list are talking to people about business and having a glass of wine doing so.

Im looking for like minded people, passionate about their business and helping others achieve success. I’d like to start a very informal business network in Geelong, for people looking to connect with our business poeple in Geelong for general monthly catchups, networking and sharing advice and support.

Please reply to this post if youre interested. We’ll be happy to start even with small numbers, as it may take a little time to grow this one, down here in sleepy hollow. All types welcome.

If you’d like to know who I am, go to http://silkroadtrade.com.au/?page_id=39 that’ll tell you a little about my experience.

Go Cats!

Daniele
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hello Tim,

China is out of my market. I am mainly interested in small local businesses.

I agree, networking can be costly. But work and leisure mix pretty well at the Geelong football club.

Like you said Geelong isn’t that small, so watch out for that marketing intelligence – “loose lips sink ships” even after WWII.

Catch up again Tim.

Cheers,

Daniele

finnsmum
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi Tim i would br interested

thanks
    Leonnie

sheryl a
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Tim

Yes, please! Count me in. I’m confident you will flush out a few soloists in sleepy hollow. :) Looking forward to it.

Regards

Sheryl

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Hey Tim,

Count me in too.

Hugh

melbstrip
    • Total posts: 114
    Up

I live at Ballan and Geelong is not so far away.

Would be good to have the chance to speak with other business owners.
    The sum of its parts are greater than the whole

As a collective who knows how much wisdom and experience we could tap into? Sounds exciting to me.

yun
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Tim,
    I am interested in your network and I am doing the import business from China.
    pls count me in, thanks.
    Steven

Tim Davies
    Up

Hi All

I guess we’re getting pretty close to being able to do something which is exciting. Even, as the post mentioned, something informal.

Ill keep watching this for another 4 weeks or so and see what happens.

In the mean time, feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] with your contact details and if you’d be coming along or could drag a business friend with you.

When we get close to 10-15 we might try and get something going.

Go Geelong! We’re not that small after all.

Tim Davies
    Up

Im starting to think with a small group of diverse expereince we might be able to achieve something for one another for general infromal catch ups.

If we were to all send a leading question to the ‘coordinator – of the group’ that is an issue specific to our business, the coordinator then shoots these consoldiated out to the group around a week before a catch up. This would give everyone time to have a think about how they may be able to contribute to that discussion point.

We’d then catch up and spend around 10 mins on each person’s questions, making it 60-80 minutes of dicussion. Everyone walk away with something of value. It also gives everyone a reason to be there.

I also dont want to make it simply about ‘networking’ for the sake of exchanging business cards.

Thoughts from anyone on this format?

Daniele
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

OK Tim,

Let’s get going! What would be your leading question to the ‘coordinator – of the group’ that is an issue specific to your own business?

I am happy to make time for the discussions you suggested.

Cheers,

Daniele.

mattybee
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I will jump into this, why not.

LucyLu
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Guys,

Have you made this official yet? What is the date and time? I am just starting out and would be very keen to participate.

Kind Regards,
    Lucy

Tim Davies
    Up
    LucyLu, post: 49626 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Have you made this official yet? What is the date and time? I am just starting out and would be very keen to participate.

Kind Regards,
    Lucy

Great to hear the enthusiasm. I just need to put some ideas together for the concept, ill post on here soon to let you know the next action!

Mando
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Tim,

Checked out your website, looks great. I am in the business justification process for myself and would be interested in networking in Geelong having not long moved down. You could also try the Committee for Geelong if you are well established down there as well.

Samwww
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Tim,

I am also looking for Networks for the business. Surely we can work together out if we have got a good Network.

Don’t feel stress if you found my following information is too technical. Technical and non-technical or even you already have a company are all welcome.

Here is about me and my business:
    I have 12 years development experience in Java/J2EE, C/C++. Apart from my programming and database skills, I have intensive Unix system skills as well.

Areas of my expertise: Liferay Portal (CE and EE), Middleware, and Backend development,
    Portal products: Out-of-Box Portals – Portal products
    Database: MySQL, PGSQL, Oracle,
    Application servers: Tomcat, JBOSS, Weblogic, Glassfish,
    Middleware experience: MQSeries,
    Systems: FreeBSD, Solaris – Portal OS
    Liferay Hosting Services: http://www.ixsystems.com.au/liferay-hosting-services

Location of business: Australia (Melbourne)

I am a very passionate and committed developer with numerous innovation in providing web solutions to the local community.

Please send me an email if you want to work something out from online business.

Cheers
    Sam
    Email: [email protected]
    Mobile:0439 251 375 (Australia).
    Called from oversea: +61 439 251 375

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.