Home – New Forums Starting your journey Initial Launch – DIY or Go Pro?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hazel&Elsie
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My business partner and I are starting a small home based business, hand made shoe clips (accessories). We are starting small with 10 products in a large range of colours and option to customise. We have done some research on webhosting but are still a little skeptical about which way to go.

An example of the type of layout/interface we are leaning towards would be http://www.shopbando.com and http://www.sereniandshentel.com

Here are a few issues we are in dilemma about:

1. Should we start small via Shoply.com, or go straight into using our own domain name? (I feel that our own domain name will have more presence)
    2. With our own domain name, should we go DIY with eCommerce webhosts like iPage or webhostinghub.com?
    3. Does it matter if the webhosts are based in USA/Australia? (Australian domain names are not a priority)
    4. Are webhosts fairly easy to operate (page/design editing, shopping carts and shipping rate calculator, etc)?
    5. Any other suggestions?

Sorry for the overkill of Qs =/ all the ideas, all the confusion. Decisions, decisions! Thank you for your time and help anyways.

Cheers and regards,
    Hazel

RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Hazel,

Shoply.com allows you to have your own domain name and since a domain name really isn’t expensive (around 10$ per year), I would definitely get one–it just looks more serious and less home-brewed ;)

To set up a good webshop (or so called ecommerce system) usually takes a good amount of time and is quite expensive (think five-figure) if you have it done by a pro. But there are a lot of providers like Shoply around that let you set up a shop with a good system and you usually have tons of designs (templates) to choose from. In my opinion that’s enough to get started and you could still have a new design later on without changing your shop-provider.
    Those providers will have some kind of building kits with more or less limited options to customize your website. How easy they are to handle depends on the provider so ask or look for a demo version, they should all have one.

I hope this helps :)
    Cheers, Tina

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up
    Hazel&Elsie, post: 70047 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

My business partner and I are starting a small home based business, hand made shoe clips (accessories). We are starting small with 10 products in a large range of colours and option to customise. We have done some research on webhosting but are still a little skeptical about which way to go.

An example of the type of layout/interface we are leaning towards would be http://www.shopbando.com and http://www.sereniandshentel.com

Here are a few issues we are in dilemma about:

1. Should we start small via Shoply.com, or go straight into using our own domain name? (I feel that our own domain name will have more presence)
    2. With our own domain name, should we go DIY with eCommerce webhosts like iPage or webhostinghub.com?
    3. Does it matter if the webhosts are based in USA/Australia? (Australian domain names are not a priority)
    4. Are webhosts fairly easy to operate (page/design editing, shopping carts and shipping rate calculator, etc)?
    5. Any other suggestions?

Sorry for the overkill of Qs =/ all the ideas, all the confusion. Decisions, decisions! Thank you for your time and help anyways.

Cheers and regards,
    Hazel

I have an ecommerce site on the side and I just used a html template which I edited (cost me $30) and then I bought some stock photos and images for $30 and put it up on its own domain through justhost.com. I just use paypal for the checkout which is the most userfriendly and secure approach IMO.

It is very easy to use and can be done in a day or 2. Alternatively get a .com.au or .com (or both!) and put a wordpress site up (you can pay a designer to do one for as little as $200. Including hosting and domain registration and ebay registration – it totals about $270 for a wordpress based e-commerce site.

Really though, I recommend crazy domains or justhost, cost affective, good customer service, always up, and good access speed,a nd unliited bandwidth. Very simple to use.

If you need any SEO help I am willing to do a freebie or two if you ask nicely :)

Hazel&Elsie
    Up

Hi Tina!

Thank you so much for your input. Will take baby steps with Shoply first and then maybe expand into a more detailed and personalized website once sales start rolling in :)

XOX,
    Hazel

Hazel&Elsie
    Up
    Netboost SEO, post: 70077 wrote:
    I have an ecommerce site on the side and I just used a html template which I edited (cost me $30) and then I bought some stock photos and images for $30 and put it up on its own domain through justhost.com. I just use paypal for the checkout which is the most userfriendly and secure approach IMO.

It is very easy to use and can be done in a day or 2. Alternatively get a .com.au or .com (or both!) and put a wordpress site up (you can pay a designer to do one for as little as $200. Including hosting and domain registration and ebay registration – it totals about $270 for a wordpress based e-commerce site.

Really though, I recommend crazy domains or justhost, cost affective, good customer service, always up, and good access speed,a nd unliited bandwidth. Very simple to use.

If you need any SEO help I am willing to do a freebie or two if you ask nicely :)

I will take you on that offer once we have our plans sorted out! Thank you so much for being so helpful :) Will keep in touch sometime soon. Cheers!

XOX,
    Hazel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.