Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Instagram Advertising Anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    ::

Instagram is rolling out ads to everyone after completing their trials. Just interested to see how many soloists are going to be advertising on IG when it becomes available to them?

There will be some great deals to be had while the competition is low in the early days.

I’m personally very excited about it! :D

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up

Not me buddy. I’d love to be on Instagram but it would be blooming hard to get nice pics for my industry. Very abstract and no one needs to see me in my beach shorts. Really wish I was in a niche in photography sometimes. We struggle to get nice pics for the blog as well with topics like ‘single or double optins for your email list’. Yawn, yawn. Being in the restaurant industry would be nice as well. I’d love putting out pics of the fodder. Hope it doesn’t become invasive – hard balance for these site to manage. Enjoy the early mover advantage Stuart!

Quinzhee
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

I would consider advertising on IG if I had a really interesting account. I don’t have that many posts yet.

The free way to grab attention is to interact with actual users, by liking and commenting. People think “who’s this stalker?!” and check out your account. It’s a lot less volume doing it manually and I know people who use bots to do it for them. I usually just keep scrolling past ads.

Stuart B
    Up

I would think dentistry could have some very interesting content for instagram. Just have to integrate it into your business activity. Especially cosmetic procedures. Instagram is perfect for before/after photos.

Definitely don’t use bots. That’s a fast way to have your accounts banned and irritate people. Focus on building real value on social media and you’ll get real value back.

PlanJapan
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

I once paid an Instagrammer with a very large following $400 to promote my product. Her posts generate 4000-10000 likes.

It was a flop, 2 sales. I thoroughly miscalculated her target audience, and the possible conversion.

Then again, my friend sells Australian bikinis in Moscow. She paid anywhere between $300 ad $1000 per post to Insta celebrities to wear her swimmers. That launched her business, paying off in a big way.

I think Instagram works well for two types of businesses. First of all, businesses that sell clothes and swimwear aimed at young women. Young women rule instagram. A stream of images featuring inspirational bodies in their product will sell it.

Secondly, it works well for anyone who has an instagrammable product and able to produce a lot of stylish, attractive content featuring their product. Instagram is a hungry beast, and you need to keep feeding it daily. Even then, every success on Instagram is hard-earned, as even with good photos, you need to reach out to influencers, do placements, build relationships….It is a very serious task.

From my experience, ads driving traffic will not convert if you don’t already have a great looking account that can offer aspirational images to potential followers. By all means advertise, but put some serious work in beforehand.

Stuart B
    Up
    PlanJapan, post: 224553, member: 63982 wrote:
    I once paid an Instagrammer with a very large following $400 to promote my product. Her posts generate 4000-10000 likes.

It was a flop, 2 sales. I thoroughly miscalculated her target audience, and the possible conversion.

Then again, my friend sells Australian bikinis in Moscow. She paid anywhere between $300 ad $1000 per post to Insta celebrities to wear her swimmers. That launched her business, paying off in a big way.

I think Instagram works well for two types of businesses. First of all, businesses that sell clothes and swimwear aimed at young women. Young women rule instagram. A stream of images featuring inspirational bodies in their product will sell it.

Secondly, it works well for anyone who has an instagrammable product and able to produce a lot of stylish, attractive content featuring their product. Instagram is a hungry beast, and you need to keep feeding it daily. Even then, every success on Instagram is hard-earned, as even with good photos, you need to reach out to influencers, do placements, build relationships….It is a very serious task.

From my experience, ads driving traffic will not convert if you don’t already have a great looking account that can offer aspirational images to potential followers. By all means advertise, but put some serious work in beforehand.

I think you’ve illustrated quite well the trap many people fall into when doing SMM.

1. You didn’t accurately identify the audience you were marketing to.
    2. You expected that the campaign would directly create immediate sales to justify the cost, but instead you got a lot of followers, and only a few sales. (But in all likelyhood those followers are all warm leads, people who just need to see a bit more content over time and develop trust and will probably buy something later if managed properly).
    3. You didn’t have a followup plan. In all these campaigns, it’s great if you get some sales right away, but you ALWAYS need to have a plan to engage the database of people who are now engaged with your brand over time. That is what generates sales over time, long after the initial campaign spend.

Putting Instagram in a pigeon hole for just women with nice bodies and swimwear/clothing is a very narrow view considering their total audience reach. Yes you need to have an account that has high quality engaging content but is that really a surprise? It’s a platform devoted to photos.

Even if you have a kind of dull product/service, then it’s still possible (though maybe more difficult) to achieve success, there just needs to be a strategy on how you’ll create engaging content that will appeal to your audience.

Yes if your account looks rubbish you’re not going to convert many people as a result of your ads but that’s not news. Same thing goes for adwords, organic search, whatever. If someone clicks through to your site, SM account, or something else and it looks like a dogs breakfast, they’re not going to buy anything.

PlanJapan
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    Stuart B, post: 224560, member: 10757 wrote:
    I think you’ve illustrated quite well the trap many people fall into when doing SMM.
    1. You didn’t accurately identify the audience you were marketing to.
    2. You expected that the campaign would directly create immediate sales to justify the cost, but instead you got a lot of followers, and only a few sales. (But in all likelyhood those followers are all warm leads, people who just need to see a bit more content over time and develop trust and will probably buy something later if managed properly).
    3. You didn’t have a followup plan. In all these campaigns, it’s great if you get some sales right away, but you ALWAYS need to have a plan to engage the database of people who are now engaged with your brand over time. That is what generates sales over time, long after the initial campaign spend.

Putting Instagram in a pigeon hole for just women with nice bodies and swimwear/clothing is a very narrow view considering their total audience reach. Yes you need to have an account that has high quality engaging content but is that really a surprise? It’s a platform devoted to photos.

Even if you have a kind of dull product/service, then it’s still possible (though maybe more difficult) to achieve success, there just needs to be a strategy on how you’ll create engaging content that will appeal to your audience.

Yes if your account looks rubbish you’re not going to convert many people as a result of your ads but that’s not news. Same thing goes for adwords, organic search, whatever. If someone clicks through to your site, SM account, or something else and it looks like a dogs breakfast, they’re not going to buy anything.

That’s a touch presumptuous and condescending at the same time.

Who says I didn’t have a follow up strategy, or that my account didn’t look good?

My point was, is that my friends who use Instagram to sell bikinis, saw a dramatic and immediate ROI. For products that are not aimed at the demographic of young women aspiring to look “hot”, it is more of a slow burn.

Instagram is actually working for me, and I have sales coming through steadily off the back of it. But ads – I wouldn’t do. Instagram already has in-built free tools allowing you to expose your brand to your target market, for free.

Stuart B
    Up

Sorry I worded that poorly. When I was saying “you didn’t have a follow up plan” I was referring generally to people who have a marketing campaign and don’t get all the value out of it with follow up sequences. Not specifically your particular campaign.

My point still stands though that there are plenty of business which are unrelated to you attracting people which do very well on instagram.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.