Home – New Forums Selling online Instagram – is it for you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Little Birdie Marketing
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Hello!

I was sceptical about Instagram and it’s role for business’s but over the last 6 weeks my view has changed as I have seen the community that lies within Instagram and how it can assist business’s.

Who uses Instagram? Love it? Dislike it?

Thoughts appreciated!

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    MsMarketing, post: 194585 wrote:
    Hello!

I was sceptical about Instagram and it’s role for business’s but over the last 6 weeks my view has changed as I have seen the community that lies within Instagram and how it can assist business’s.

Who uses Instagram? Love it? Dislike it?

Thoughts appreciated!

Actually never used it… but should as it might put that “personal” touch and “poke” factor into it to remind customers about you.

In moderation it is all good I guess…. now you mentioned it I gonna try it.

Cee
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I use it, it’s very easy. Although I don’t have many followers on it yet I’ve already had a few extra sales from it. My friend who has 2500 followers sells quite a bit from it. It’s quick and easy. The filters allow me to have funky looking photos which are great for fb and Insta makes it easy to upload to several social media platforms all at once. You can also find other photo editing apps which will give your photos more variety & indidviduality.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I haven’t really used it, but I have noticed it being used quite a bit in Twitter feeds (I do use a couple of different Twitter accounts with some benefit).

I had a quick look at their site, seems they offer quite a lot in API’s for the mobile space, and a lot of associated platforms …

Generally I haven’t had a lot of interest in social sharing apps, but a new project has sparked my interest. Especially ones that provide interaction via an API … so Instagram has been added to the list for more homework :)

Slightly off topic, but I’d be interested to know of other up and coming social sharing apps that work in a similar way (and have an API) and are gaining some traction … even better if they’re popular in the 20 something space. I’m a complete dill in this area and I’m keen to shortcut wasting time trying out rubbish.

Cheers

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Trialing it now :-).

Messing about on InstaGram

Kinda cool, more homework… just what I needed, but fit in nice with my realtime weather hobby :-) Weather

So much to learn :-0

Greg_M
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 194608 wrote:
    So much to learn :-0

Agreed, and the rate of change atm seems to require more than an old brain like mine can handle.

Every time I think I’m getting some technology “wired” in my head, I see something new and shiny to distract me :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi estim8,
    LMDO! (Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls, if you can.)

IMHO, Instagram is yet another Internet information deliver mechanism. It seems to have attained a usage that currently averages around 10% of the world wide web population.

What we should be assessing is what sort of info it delivers and who is likely to want this sort of info delivery mechanism?

If people start testing Instagram without considering these issues they will be wasting their time as their results are likely to be irrelevant or misleading.

Can I suggest folk read a review article like this…

What’s All the Buzz About Instagram – and How Should I Use It?

“In a nutshell, Instagram is a photo sharing app”

It is more than that but…

With any social media, you need to look at:

• Who are your potential customers?
    • What sort of info do they want?
    • How are they likely to look for it?

Instagram will be very good for certain markets but like every other online delivery mechanism, poor for others.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Greg_M
    Up

I couldn’t find my Funk and Wagnalls … but I did find an internet slang site … I’ll keep that one for my repertoire, cheers.

I thought it was pretty much a photo sharing app too, and I guess it is at the core, but I was blown way by ecosystem that has evolved around it … absolutely useless to me, but not to a significant portion of the demographic that use it.

Why I got interested in this one and some others, is the data they’re spitting out via their API’s.

Take Instagram for e.g. It’s being accessed on a mobile, and it’s API’s are giving you the exact geolocation and user profile in real time. They also provide the opportunity to interact with site visitors directly.

To me that smells of opportunity.

I think it’s rapidly becoming a world of real time web services, interacting with each other, rather than conventional websites.

Instagram and it’s like, are just the beginning imo.

Cheers

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Instagram is amazing for business and the loyal following you can create for a visual business can be worldwide.

I highly recommend it for fashion and food, amongst others. There are many businesses using it really successfully.

ClickyEmail
    Up

A company that use Instagram really well is Blackmilk Clothing. They’re up in Brisbane, they make tights and other tight clothing but have a worldwide following.

They use Instagram as a form of social proof, where people upload pictures of themselves in the clothing they’ve purchased. Each item then has a series of photos (if available) that show that lots of other people are in the same item (and look great of course because they’re all selfies). It drives that desire for inclusion, and a fantastic way of crowd sourcing your brand!

Here’s a great example from their Batman series of dresses : https://blackmilkclothing.com/collections/batman/products/differently-sane-gft

I love this kind of use of tech.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Andrew,

If you’d like to learn more about BlackMilk and how they developed that huge following, you’ll love this podcast from a couple of years ago :)

Very inspiring story :)
    Jayne

31Degrees
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I resisted using it for a fair while, until a friend who was helping me with marketing insisted I started. It’s certainly been good for publicity, and I’ve made a few good connections. I tend to use it for behind the scenes type shots, and use my Facebook page for more serious marketing. I haven’t been able to bring myself to use a hashtag yet though! (And part of me wants to see just how far I can get without using them…)
    I definitely agree it’s good for visual business, as MissSassy mentioned.

SACKO – Head Office
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi Kellie,

Instagram is certainly a plus for a business especially if you’re in merchandising. Now if your target market focuses on young people then it would be a good way for your product to be known to them.

Also, as mentioned by estim8, instagram can be accessed through smartphones which can be an easy way for your customers to keep updated on what’s happening in your business. It’s also one way that you can establish good relationship with your customers.

Regards,

Augustique
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I’ve been using instagram for a couple of years. I first started using it because many of my friends were using it. I don’t have that many followers but I’ve observed that many instagrammers can benefit from having a huge number of followers (say at least 1000). As an user I’m following many online shops who sell their goods on instagram, or some fashionistas who suggest me some fashion websites (i think many of them are actually paid for it, which they call a shoutout).

So from a retailer’s perspective I think I can learn from that, using instagram as a marketing and selling page, sponsoring some popular fashion instagrammers to advertise my products…

Anyway I’m still learning here and doing the research. Any idea and comment are more than welcome. Thanks !

Mirella Vertigo
    Up

Hi Kellie,

Instagram is a very powerful marketing tool because you can post photos of your products or services with hashtags that people around the world are constantly searching for, thus gauging interest more quickly than other forms of social media such as Facebook.

We are a visual business (graphic design) and Instagram is our most popular and successful account on social media. We post a healthy mix of inspiration, works in progress, print samples, sketches, nature photos, completed projects, art exhibitions, and anything that aligns with our aesthetic so that potential clients can get a feel for the visual direction of our work beyond what we showcase on our website.

I read that you are opening a boutique – your target market would likely comprise of mothers who use visual sites like Pinterest and Instagram, so you should consider utilising both. And if it doesn’t work for you, you can always delete it.

Mirella

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.