Home – New Forums Find the help you need Insurance Broker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good professional insurance broker that is familiar with small and home based businesses?

Thank you

rickmp
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Good afternoon John,

We came accross your enquiry re insurance brokers.

We offer a full range of financial planning services including personal insurances such as income protection and life/trauma cover. We also offer wealth management advice for superannuation and investments via managed funds.

Please feel free to check us out at our web address http://www.informfinancial.com.au or email me at [email protected] or call on 03 9596 3366 with any enquirey you may have.

Regards,

Rick

JohnSheppard
    Up

Thanks Rick, I’ll pop you an email.

Specifically, I was after;
    – Professional Indemnity
    – Public Liability
    – Recommendations and advice on any other forms of insurance I might need.

I essentially do web development, software engineering and web hosting from a home office so I believe I need special needs in that regard as well and would need to be advised.

Actually other advice I was also looking for was;
    Is it wise to force contractors/subcontractors I work with to have these kinds of insurances (including offshore).

Thank you
    John

onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

Hi John,

I was looking into the same thing and found an article on here which covers some of this…

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/p242183515_Understanding-insurance-and-protecting-your-business.html

regards
    Ursh

JohnSheppard
    Up

Thanks Ursh,

I read it, it’s helpful but is only a primer really.

My conclusions has pretty much come to, I am starting with public liability and then a year or two down the track as I get into doing more important high end stuff I’ll get professional indemnity and do a more thorough check of what my real situation is.

There are other things that would probably be useful, but for those I’m prepared to take the risk as in my current position it beats being snowed under with paperwork…

As far as I understand it it is wise for me to make sure any contractors I use have their own PL an PI, but if they don’t my own would cover me. (At least thats what my broker has insinuated)

As for web hosting and my responsibilities there, no brokers I’ve spoke to have really been all that helpful, I’m still in the dark about that…..I’m guessing its so competitive they have no margins…and they’re not lawyers. All they do is fill out forms…

This is pretty much how it’s gone;

Me: Hi, please insure me, I’m not a bad person and I have the best of intentions for everyone, including the plants and the trees. Goo goo gah gah. What do I need to be covered by?

Them: What do you do?

Me: I do web hosting, software engineering and web design, I use contractors, mostly in Australia but occasionally form overseas. I hand out professional advice that customers rely on to make money, la la la, etc

Them: Oh you’ll need Iawn, ar gyfer eich gwe-letya byddwch yn dod o dan ‘o’r fath ac yswiriant o’r fath’, fodd bynnag, ‘o’r fath ac o’r fath, bydd’ gwag eich yswiriant ac mae gennych ffi 90% dros ben, os Timmy haciau llestri yn eich safle. Rwy’n hynod argymell nad ydych yn cael bod gan fod 90% kinda ffi defeats dros y pwynt.

Me: Uhhh huh,….Ok, so how do I avoid the excess fee?

Them: Oh, huh? don’t you get it, this is a scam?

Me: Oh, sorry my mistake…..where do I sign?

Them: Don;t forget that life insurance one.

Me: But I don’t have any money or assets?

Them: Oh nah…thats entirely irrelevant…btw, I’d advise you go for the BIG one…

haha, OK I’m just joking it really didn’t go like that :)

onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

very funny! I get the gist…

yes I think your conclusion to wait is good…I don’t need it yet either..a nice to have but not essential at this stage.

Have a friend looking into it also at the moment so if it turns out he find someone more helpful, I will put it in here.

cheers
    Ursh

Arrivis Insurance
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi John,

I will be more than delighted to aid you in your insurance needs. I’ve been in the insurance industry for over 7 years and can definitely shop your PI and Liability insurances for you and obtain multiple quotations across our panel of insurers we go through i.e Allianz, CGU, QBE, Zurich etc… Ill find out whats the best deal out there and provide you with formal quotes via email, mail or fax.

Shoot me an email and we can get started, [email protected].

Alternatively you can have a look on our company website: Arrivis.com.au.

Cheers and hope to hear from you.

Nathan. CIP ANZIF (Associate)

brookie
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi John

I run a business that focuses on arranging insurance cover based on the clients actual wants. At this stage we do not do PI or Public Liability, but look at life/TPD/Income Proetction etc, as well as super and investments.

We differ in that we are directed by the user regarding the level of cover they want, and we arrange the paperwork. Commission, particularly in the the world of personal insurances, can be quite high, usually around 100% of the first years premiums, and then between 10% and 30% every year thereafter.

If you are able to direct us to what you want specifically, and advise us to organise it, we actually refund a minimum 50% of that commission, capped at a maximum fee of $500. Most fund managers/insurance companies offering have “blended” to a point where their is little differences between their products and pricing, and this is a great way for the individual can take control of these costs and “reclaim their fees”.

The same is true with super and investments. If you have some old super funds floating around most are paying a commission. By completing a broker nomination form (found on our website) we can reclaim these fees for you as well.

Check out our website – http://www.superrefunds.com.au, or email me on [email protected]

Happy to help if I can

Brett
    http://www.superrefunds.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.