Home – New Forums Starting your journey insurance for carpenter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jeffreyj90
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

hey there,
    as of monday i will be working as a sole trading carpenter, working predominantly for a builder monday to friday.
    I am trying to get my head around a lot of things, one being insurance. What do i need, what dont i need.

i am living and working in queensland and as far as i know it is up to the builder to have public liability to cover trades on his job site, correct me if i am wrong!

so does that just leave me with income protection in the case of sickness or injury?

any links to relative threads or general advice is greatly appreciated!!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You need to check with the ATO or an accountant if you are truly working solo, or if you are still the responsibility of the employer because if you are only working for one company you could be classed as an employee regardless.

If you work for yourself, you will have to be registered with an ABN and take our liability insurance and any other insurance you need (sickness, injury etc)

Please talk to someone relevant – ie the ATO/Accountant etc BEFORE you start.

Here is the business page to determine if you are an employee or a contractor at the ATO http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/pathway.aspx?sid=42&pc=001/003/135&mfp=001/003&mnu=53043#001_003_135

KellyB
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

We are in Vic so not sure if things are exactly the same or not.
    If you are a subcontractor, you need to organize your own insurance, we have public liability and workcover – however if you are a sole trader (not a pty ltd company) you can’t get workcover for yourself, only any people you actually employ, so you will need accident/sickness insurance instead.

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Jeffrey,

It is very rare for a builders policy to extend to cover his subcontractors for their negligence – as such we always recommend that each subcontractor have their own policy. You don’t want to assume you are covered by the builder, only to find out after the event that, although their policy paid for the loss, their insurer is coming after you to recoup their money.

Another benefit of having your own policy is that it will allow you to work on your own projects or work for other builders – you can advertise without worrying about whether you are covered or not. In addition to Liability, most insurers will allow you to extend the policy to cover your tools, workshop, ute, personal accident etc. (some will even cover the tradies dog!)

Regards,

Mark
    0412 495 397

topdog
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

gday mate im a chippy/builder too im in Sydney

you need your own public liability/professional indemnity this is a minimum requirement as a sub contractor. I go through “tradesure” http://www.tradesure.com.au/ QLD mob good cheap and thorough from memory there underwritten by QBE

the builder will have you under his work cover only if your employed by him not as a subby though , BUT after a while of you doing consistent work with him ( its a bit of a grey area even with ato/dept fair trade etc) he could/should actually have you in his work cover im unsure of the amount of weeks eg it could be if you work more than say half the year with him as a subby you could be intitled to be on his insurance

you’ll also need wage /income protection they have a policy for injury only and also injury and illness , it will depend on how much you tell them you earn eg 1000pw may equate to 100 pmonth to pay ?? make sure you get this I injured my self broken knee cap out for 8 weeks and I could’ve been getting 1250 pw but got a whole lot of nothing coz I forgot to pay it just do it as a direct debit and forget it

hope that helps

fire away if you have any other questions

Monish
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Jeff,

I am a builder in Brisbane. In order to protect yourself from the builder palming the blame for an accident down to you you’ll need public liability insurance, 5mill cover should be enough. If you are a subby your safety is your own responsibility, so you’ll have to arrange you’re own injury/accident insurance. I have a 10mill public liability cover with master builders and its under $500, however personal injury insurance is around the 3k mark per year for carpenters (classed as a dangerous occupation). Insurance for tools will cost you more on top of that.

You will get income protection from your super, depending who you’re with so I would highly recommend making regular super contributions even if you’re a subby on abn. You might also think 3k is too expensive for personal cover, but it’ll give you peace of mind.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.