Home – New Forums Tech talk Integrating our software with Web Store Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jottery
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

We are a POS software producer, http://www.neopos.com.au, and currently looking at integrating our POS to various webstores.

The min functionality required would be (briefly):

When an item is sold in the Shop the POS software to update the stock on hand in the Webstore.
    When an item is sold on the Webstore the POS software to update the stock on hand in the Store.
    Changes made to price, description etc at the store would be reflected on the Webstore.

BTW we are using postgreSQL.

The main question is, is there an easy way to do this that already exists? For example via a text file that our system could send to the

Webstore and vica-versa. We don’t want to reinvent the wheel if possible.

Secondly, is there anyone who might be interested in doing this interface and implementing it for our customers.
    If so, it may be an opportunity for someone. We have approx 600 users of our system and some are starting to ask for this.
    We would be willing to refer these customers on to you and you can then charge them directly for the work and on-going support.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’ve just started exploring this sort of stuff, and I have no idea how your system works.

But in a general sense, I think a lot of what you’re looking for is doable, and already available in part.

Developer API’s are available for a lot of Cloud platforms, not just stores … accounting packages are one.

I know Shopify for one, has them available. They exchange data via JSON through the API (you have an API key that verifies the connection, and or query).

The underlying programming language is only limited by it’s ability to convert data to JSON (and receive it).

I know Ruby frameworks uses an ORM (Object Relational Mapping?) and do JSON out of the box, so it’s database agnostic as long as you use the correct adapter. I regularly use it with Postgres. A framework like Sinatra is commonly used for a web service or API like the one you describe.

I’m sure there’s others. Node.js comes to mind too, that can poll data in “real time” … others might too with web sockets.

I don’t think any of them will give you direct access to the DB, regardless of what’s at your end.

Hope that’s a start, and it helps a bit.

Daniel Mitchell
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Hi there

As previously mentioned, APIs exist for the majority of cloud platforms and ecommerce platforms and it is definitely achievable to do what you’re after. The problem you’re going to face is that your product is not web-based which means you’re going to need to open up 2-way communication between your database and these additional services. If you want live communication you really need to be running a web server that can communicate directly with your database and can handle its own API calls and facilitate the communication between the external services. Security is going to be a big concern when you open this up and you need to make sure this is fully considered. You could also have a more manual scheduled ‘pull’ set up where you initiate all requests from the client on a scheduled basis to update both ends, but depending on the size of the inventory file this may add some overhead.

APIs don’t change too often, but you do need to keep in mind that what might work now will not necessarily work the same in the future so you need to come up with a solution that reduces as much support/maintenance as possible. I guess it really comes down to whether you want to try and bundle it as part of your overall service and support the common ecommerce platforms or if you want each client to deal with it individually through a 3rd party. Depending on your software you may be able to build all of this in and give some level of customisation, or come up with a standalone option that accesses the database directly.

There are various integrator products that might help, but probably nothing that will work out of the box. Have a look at this video to get an idea how they can help and see whether something similar might work for your clients. I would be happy to discuss any specifics with you if you want further help.

All the best.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

I tried to catch up with you almost 2 years ago – although I didn’t explicitly mention it, this was the exact reason I wanted to meet! We never were able to organise it.

My email is [email protected] – 0416 060 073 – let’s catch up.

Cheers,

Matt

Denhooi
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi Jottery,

One way this can be done is by dumping a csv file containing the sales date from the web store on an ftp site overnight. This can be picked up by the POS system to adjust stock on hand and create a sales invoice.

Following on from this, the POS system can dump a csv file on the ftp site with new stock on hand, prices, desc etc which is picked up by the web store. Simple and affective.

Here is our article about integrating a POS system to a web store:

http://acumensystems.com.au/index.php/acumen-blog/33-webstore-integration-to-pos-system.html

Althought it doesn’t go into the detail, it does explain the basics and benefits.

Cheers,
    Dennis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.