Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Interested in views re blogging on and off websites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

Good morning to all!

What’s everyone’s take on whether blogs should be part of an actual website or hosted off site? I’m in two minds as there are various schools of thought. My retail site’s blog is on my actual site whereas my wordmistress blog is both on my site (and new site coming very soon) and on WordPress.

Obviously the job of a blog is to position oneself as an expert in their field, and also to create a personal relationship with readers, one that doesn’t aim to ‘sell’, but to engage.

I like the generalised exposure of off-site blogs such as WordPress but I really do like to have the content available as part of the site as well. But would a button to link to my blog off-site be appropriate?

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Hi Gina,
    a blog that is addressed as part of your domain goes a long way to looking more professional and gives the image that you are taking blogging more seriously.

While it’s not the end of the world, having your blog designed slightly differently to your website will help to symbolise that it is not part of your regular website and is common practice.

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi beco baby carriers, thanks.

Ok Mike, so mine is on the right track then, you think? Maybe a bit of tweaking of the design?

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Whats the point of your Blog? Why?

mike@engagemarketing
    Up

Yep you’re definitely on the right path! I think once you make it more obvious that it is your blog and an opinion-based area separate to the normal content of your website, then you’ll be set.

Perhaps get your web designer to put a blog logo or heading of some sort at the top of the black area to the left of your blog?

mike@engagemarketing
    Up

One other thing that I might add Gina – It would be fantastic if you were able to make comments on your blog without having to register or login. Blogging takes up so much time that users will typically quit the page instead of registering and engaging with you.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

Your SEO ranking improves when the blog is on your site. Why? Because of links.

I read your blog and love an article. It’s relevant to my readership, so I write a complementary post and link to your post. Now, if your blog is hosted by wordpress, who gets the SEO benefit of my link? WordPress.

If it’s hosted on your main site, who gets the benefit of the link? You do. Google (and other search engines) love deep links into a site.

The other point of having the blog on your main site is keywords. You write a post on your topic, for your niche, and it’s going to be naturally keyword rich. Over time you write hundreds of posts. Your site is organically stuffed with keyword rich material for the search engines to find and direct people to, based on their search terms.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.