Home – New Forums Get productive Interesting article about the sacrifices we have to make – can you relate?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    ::

I can personally relate to this:
    http://www.theage.com.au/small-business/trends/sacrifices-aplenty-for-small-business-owners-20120619-20ljs.html

I find myself working a lot longer than I would normally in a regular “job”, and I can see many small business owners struggle in the same way. Would love to hear your experiences on what you had to sacrifice to continue running your small business

Thanks for reading

Wendy

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

I definitely worry more than I used to in my previous corporate job and find it harder to switch off. I earn less now than I did when I was employed, but on the positive side I enjoy my work much more now. I get a buzz out of having my own business, every day is different and I love the variety of clients, meeting new people and working on different projects.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Having a business is a way of life not a job and therefore comparisons in terms of sacrifice are irrelevant.

Lots of things about my life are different now to when I was employed. Some better, some worse but I would no more focus on the negatives as ‘sacrifices’ as I would look at the things that I lost from my life now I have children.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

i would argue that alot of business owners don’t even create a business. they create a job. the idea of a business is to set systems in place so you can work less and get more out of it.

the business should be working hard for us and not the other way around – even if it’s “fun” doing the work.

high performance is all about focusing on the 20% that produce 80% and delegating the 80% that produce 20%. This is what working “on” the business is all about.

If we don’t know our leverage points, our business becomes our life. given the choice, is that what we really want?

i think the problem is too many self employed jump right in and never bother to invest in a course on creating a business that will benefit their lifestyle.

this involves establishing metrics, processes, procedures, policies, automation, out tasking, contracting, etc.

LEVERAGE.gif

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I don’t sacrifice anything. I work less than ever and I have more time to spend with my wife.

Depends on your business really. I get paid by the hour – so I work as much as I need to live over general subsistance, but rarely more.

I used to chase dollars, turns out they can’t hold you when you’re unhappy :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.