Home – New Forums Find the help you need Internet Service Provide Recs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

As I sit here waiting for it to be May so I’m no longer speed limited, I’m reminded that I need to something about our internet!

Wanting to switch to an unlimited option – don’t think we can get cable here though. so looking for recs on an ISP that you use and would recommend.

(currently with iprimus)
    No drop outs and have been with them a long time, but do question the speed of the service even when not limited.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    PineapplePear, post: 189582 wrote:
    As I sit here waiting for it to be May so I’m no longer speed limited, I’m reminded that I need to something about our internet!

Wanting to switch to an unlimited option – don’t think we can get cable here though. so looking for recs on an ISP that you use and would recommend.

(currently with iprimus)
    No drop outs and have been with them a long time, but do question the speed of the service even when not limited.

Hi Suzi,

are you looking for just ADSL, are you in an NBN-Ready area, or did you want more of a corporate service?

The problem with any internet service is that the provider can’t “guarantee” any sorts of speeds outside their own network.

Take your current iprimus service. They might sell you “ADSL2, up to 24M/sec” but due to your distance from he telephone exchange, you may only acheive say 15M/sec.
    Once you’ve got that far, there’s then congestion outside of the provider’s network. That’s why they always tell you to use their own speedtest utilities, rather than speedtest.com.

There’s all sorts of things that come into play – backhauls, congestion, contention. It’s not uncommon for an ISP (such as Dodo or TPG) to oversell a service. I’m a bit surprised that primus do it though.

If you’re still looking for a provider, drop me a line and we can have a chat and I’ll identify some options for you

PineapplePear
    Up

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your reply. We’ve found out we can get cable so have booked with Optus who should be installing next week.

Looking forward to a hopefully much speedier service!

(speed on speedtest with iprimus is currently 6.23mbps.)

TehCamel
    Up

I’m glad you have a solution. I say this as an optus cable customer.. … just don’t expect the world from it.

If the price for corporate ethernet or fixed wireless was within reach, I’d prefer to pay twice what I pay for 1/10th of the cable speed without the limitations and frustrations cable has given me.

PineapplePear
    Up

update to this:
    Optus Cable installed this morning, speedtest.net speed is 30mps!
    Last test on iprimus dsl was 6mps at the absolute most.
    Feeling like a speed demon today! :)

TehCamel
    Up

you should be able to get up to 100M/sec.. they may not have included the speed pack

glad to hear it’s working well though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.