Home – New Forums Tech talk Interview with an SEO company

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    ::

I made this quick video … after having a chat with an SEO company…

:D I’m glad I’m not a “company”

http://www.internetninja.com.au/interview-with-an-seo-company/

(Sorry I don’t know how to embed videos here… is it possible?)

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Gabriel, nice one :)
    I’ve seen an equally funny one of a graphic designer talking to a client!
    Videos can’t be embedded or attached so we’re stuck with links for now!
    Cheers
    Peter

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Here is a designer one. (Warning every 5th word is from the gutter)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfprIxNfCjk

While I think there are lots of shoddy seo places around at the moment, they will slowly die off as people fail to see returns (I hope)…..consumers will harden up and its just another industry that will rely heavily on word of mouth because of it.

If you are clueless about something the best way to find someone is through word of mouth, imo, but then maybe it doesn’t work like that?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Gabriel,

The video is a tragedy because it is so true. I keep running into clowns like this who waste my time when they approach a client.

One mob charge $5,000 for SEO of 15 keywords. They told my client his site did not implement SEO and a competitor’s did.

When I ran a top 10 search results comparison of 422 keywords the client was targeting the results were:

My client = 83% in top 10
    Competitor = 3% in top 10

I know the competitor wanted the same words because they were buying sponsored links for at least 45% of them.

So I’ve had my reputation temporarily besmirched and wasted many hours to prove how ridiculously incorrect and incompetent some self styled “expert” was.

At least I could tell my client that based on the SEO company’s published rates I had saved him over $110,000 by not using the “experts”.

It seems to me that the vast majority of people offering SEO or online marketing services don’t understand the purpose of the service and can’t even assess it, let alone know how to implement it.

Regs,

John W

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I tend to find the more expensive the service, the more full of crap it is :P

Hahaha, your story hits home right about now John – on multiple levels.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Well when they phone you and say they can help with your website, I have to ask them have you read the website, because if they had they certainly wouldnt phone me.

Some are desparate. Suchislife.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Yeah Burgo, I get calls from SEO/AdWords mobs all the time. I do enjoy messing with them though…

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

I resent my time that gets wasted with their email spam programs and useless website audits that are sent to my clients who then ask my comments.

I had one last week that “audited” a client’s new 3,000 page website by analysing 6 pages. Four of these pages were SE irrelevant.

It was so obviously a template audit report based on some numbers spat out by one of those useless SEO tools. At no stage did it discuss what words were being targeted nor did it run any ranking comparison tests with competing sites.

Maybe we should start a post about “how do you identify SEO incompetents?”

Here are my first two tips:

Their SE audit report includes analysis of:

the site’s keyword meta tags
    the site’s compliance with W3 code standards

I particularly love the latter piece of nonsense. I guess that is to make every site in the world a potential client.

http://www.ato.gov.au = 258 code errors (Ranks #1 for “tax” out of 304 million pages)
    http://www.google.com.au = 46 code errors (Can you think of a simpler web page than Google?)

Regs,

John W

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Good to see you managed to get back on the forums Gabriel =)

Very funny video – I’ve forwarded to a few friends of mine :P

– Jake

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Aah yes – the old “give us $250 per hour and we’ll tell you how to crack Google…guaranteed” approach to SEO!

Thats bad enough…

but please God, if you exist…

spare me forever more from…

“…my cousin in IT says we should put some invisible words into our website…”

Aaaagh!

ps – Loved the cartoon Gabriel, more please if you get a chance :)

lutrov
    Participant
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Point made, Gabriel.

But why the irrelevant accents? I think I heard one of the animated characters say “Arsie Company” or something, which ruins the credibility of the whole thing.

This is supposedly set in Australia, right? If so, why are there two Americans doing the talking?

seocourse
    Up
    Aidan, post: 39705 wrote:

ps – Loved the cartoon Gabriel, more please if you get a chance :)

I will try to make more …. ^_^

Thanks for being my first cartoon-movie supporters. :D

seocourse
    Up
    lutrov, post: 39710 wrote:
    Point made, Gabriel.

But why the irrelevant accents? I think I heard one of the animated characters say “Arsie Company” or something, which ruins the credibility of the whole thing.

This is supposedly set in Australia, right? If so, why are there two Americans doing the talking?

Lutrov… it is a free system to make cartoons…. I will love to invest in “professional voice over” but I did that video for fun. Not to present in the next Melbourne Film Festival . :D

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    JohnW, post: 39678 wrote:
    Maybe we should start a post about “how do you identify SEO incompetents?”

Here are my first two tips:

Their SE audit report includes analysis of:

the site’s keyword meta tags
    the site’s compliance with W3 code standards

I particularly love the latter piece of nonsense. I guess that is to make every site in the world a potential client.

Amen to that! While it’s not a bad move getting a site to validate, 98% of the sites in the world don’t and it’s not a major SEO factor at all.

The meta keywords tag one makes me laugh, but then again there are STILL so called SEO experts out there advising to put keywords repeated over and over again in white text on white background! The funny thing is though, last week I was working with a good client on his website on content, and was seo copy editing his text to include a few more keywords, while obviously making sure it still read well. He asked if this (the white text on white background) was a good idea to get even more text on the page. I explain why not, and he’s cool with that.

Not 10 minutes later, his graphic designer walks in. Asks me why we have text on the homepage, he thinks it would look better with just one welcome line, some images and that’s all. I explain about the value of content etc etc. His eyes light up as a light bulb goes off in his head. “Why don’t we just put all the text in white, so it’s there but people only see the pictures” he says, proud as punch that he’s invented a new way to rank well, that he probably believes no one else has been smart enough to think of! I couldn’t help but laugh, given I had heard the idea twice in 10 minutes!

http://www.google.com.au = 46 code errors (Can you think of a simpler web page than Google?)

Google’s home page looks simple, but it isn’t! There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than it looks on the surface!

Matt

seocourse
    Up

Love how my little tiny video (with bad accent) generated over 500 visits yesterday.. mmm ^_^

May be I shoud quit SEO and become a cartoon director?

Next Pixar?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.