Home – New Forums Tech talk Introducing a blog spam moderation service AKA “Spam Killing”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I thought I would drop in here and let you know that I have kicked off (quietly) the following service as a new offering for any folks who are running a blog but are drowning in comments from spammers.

It’s my fix for spam. http://bit.ly/spam-killer

I would like to ask you to share this link with anyone who you know who might need a hand.

Over time I will add in some specific to blog spam comment examples, and some case studies of blog owners who I have helped regain their time, freedom and sanity by helping them kill their spam.

Feedback is welcome if you have some to share (though I will be putting the whole site under the microscope over in the ‘reviews’ section soon)

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Hi Fiona,

Tweeted! Best of luck!

Best Regards,
    Samith W.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

sorry, I’m confused. Doesn’t simply setting your blog to all comments must be moderated achieve the same result? Or is there some additional element I missed?

FionaFell
    Up

Hi King,

You can achieve the same result if you set all comments must be moderated.

But:

1. You then have to go through and read them all approving/killing each one yourself

~ I do this for you

2. You have better things to do, like create more content – make more money

~ I take this task off your hands, giving you back the time eaten up by regular spam maintenance each day, week, month – so you can get back to what should be your primary focus.

3. If you turn on ‘all must be moderated’ – no comments appear on the page until you have time to approve them, slowing or even stopping community involvement.

~ I check through all comments, or just the new comments, on your blog sifting for spam and kill them before the ugly spam has time to reflects badly on your business – but while allowing community involvement to grow immediately after the ‘submit’ or ‘add comment’ button is pushed.

4. Askimet catches some spam automatically on WordPress blogs, but even that hides some legitimate comments sometimes.

~ I wade through these comments too – double checking – that the software has gotten it right, and nothing has been pushed into the wrong pile
    ~ Spam in the public comments
    ~ Comments in the (auto created) spam pile.

King, I hope that explains it a bit better. I might go and add some of these points to the copy on the page here http://www.bit.ly/spam-killer to make sure other also understand why this can help them, thanks for asking the question.

FionaFell
    Up

@Sameth: thanks for the tweet

Everyones help and feedback is appreciated.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

You are welcome. It was the clear benefits that were needed, otherwise people may have gone away mumbling to themselves the same question that I asked without asking you!

I just need enough comments to have spam an issue!!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi Fiona,

Cool service!

Who is your market? I would assume you are aiming at the larger blogs? In Australia anyway, most people who blog seriously are pretty computer literate, and could handle any SPAM issues.

Australia doesn’t have many Bloggers that would be in need of such a service. It’s no way as big as in the US.

Thanks

Matt

FionaFell
    Up

Thanks Matt

The bloggers who I am targetting don’t have to be technologically unable to deal with this themselves. They simple would have better things to do with their time than read and kill spam

I think anyone with a blog with enough traffic and revenue to pay for this service would be generating enough income to have an owner that is ready to delegate this task and clear some space in their workload so that can work on the other aspects that make them money.

I have some plans to communicate directly with the blogging community, but thoght I would let the FS community in on this at the beginning in case some members might need this in the future.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I see it’s the same sort of thing as hiring a housekeeper. You’re too busy doing other things to spend a few hours a week cleaning your house, so you pay someone to do it.

In Fiona’s case, you’re too busy making money and doing business to monitor your own blog – so you pay someone else to do it.

TheWebExpert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

You could also use Facebook commenting.
    So unless a user is a facebook user (and in Australia there is 8.6million of them) you cant comment on the blog.

An important thing to consider though.
    If you put your face up somewhere, to make comment about a topic, start a blog, etc – you should be prepared to make comment, and/or service that place you pop up at.

If you open 3 retail stores, you need to man each site – whatever that cost.

V

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.