Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Introducing myself

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bumper Toys
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My name’s Leanne and I am just starting a drop shipping online business selling kids toys.

My main concern that is eating me up is that the company that I am uploading my products from is available to the public, to purchase at the same price as I do..

How do I get people to purchase from my website, where I sell less than the RRP, but some items are a lot more than they can sell to the public for?

Does anyone have any ideas on the ideal mark up for drop shipping?

Thanks
    Leanne

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Leanne,

Welcome to the forums. There are a great bunch of people here and I’m sure you’ll access some quality advice. My first thought is that price is only one factor in a purchasing decision. How likely I am to find your site over theirs, ease of transaction, how navigable your site is compared to theirs… these are all factors, besides the assumption that you’re competing directly with them takes for granted that your prospects will find both your and their site at the same time, which is by no means a given.

On another note, can I suggest you create a signature for under your posts, so others can see a bit more about what you’re up to? Head to ‘control panel’ via the grey bar above.

Good luck in your new business,

Sam

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Leanne,

Welcome to the forums. There are a great bunch of people here and I’m sure you’ll access some quality advice. My first thought is that price is only one factor in a purchasing decision. How likely I am to find your site over theirs, ease of transaction, how navigable your site is compared to theirs… these are all factors, besides the assumption that you’re competing directly with them takes for granted that your prospects will find both your and their site at the same time, which is by no means a given.

On another note, can I suggest you create a signature for under your posts, so others can see a bit more about what you’re up to? Head to ‘control panel’ via the grey bar above.

Good luck in your new business,

Sam

webtrade
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Leanne,

Welcome. As you are using a dropshipper, focus on what is within your control and don’t worry so much about what is not within your control. Build a quality website to build trust with visitors, and then focus on your SEO and online marketing. Perhaps you can focus your marketing efforts on selected customer groups and try to build a loyal customer base. You could use a loyalty program, etc.

Is your dropshipper using your branding on packaging/invoicing? If the dropshipper’s details are included in the packages sent to customers, that’s where you may lose repeat customers to the dropshipper if they discover cheaper pricing elsewhere.

Develop a mixed pricing strategy so that you can build a perception that you are priced competitively. Price close to the dropshipper/competitors on selected items, and price higher on other products. Not all customers will check all websites for each and every product. If someone is buying multiple items, chances are they would rather conveniently buy all from the one place and save on shipping costs.

Good luck.

webtrade
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Leanne,

Welcome. As you are using a dropshipper, focus on what is within your control and don’t worry so much about what is not within your control. Build a quality website to build trust with visitors, and then focus on your SEO and online marketing. Perhaps you can focus your marketing efforts on selected customer groups and try to build a loyal customer base. You could use a loyalty program, etc.

Is your dropshipper using your branding on packaging/invoicing? If the dropshipper’s details are included in the packages sent to customers, that’s where you may lose repeat customers to the dropshipper if they discover cheaper pricing elsewhere.

Develop a mixed pricing strategy so that you can build a perception that you are priced competitively. Price close to the dropshipper/competitors on selected items, and price higher on other products. Not all customers will check all websites for each and every product. If someone is buying multiple items, chances are they would rather conveniently buy all from the one place and save on shipping costs.

Good luck.

Sandsy
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Leanne!
    I’m new to this forum as well, but it seems that we might be able to assist you with marketing your new business.
    We are an online classifieds website for babies and childrens products, including toys!
    Take a look at our website
    http://www.mykidsstuff.com.au

If you send an email via the contact us page, I will do whatever I can to help!

Sandsy
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Leanne!
    I’m new to this forum as well, but it seems that we might be able to assist you with marketing your new business.
    We are an online classifieds website for babies and childrens products, including toys!
    Take a look at our website
    http://www.mykidsstuff.com.au

If you send an email via the contact us page, I will do whatever I can to help!

nduncan
    • Total posts: 98
    Up

Hi Leanne,

I would have to agree with t-shirt fan. If it is out of your control then there is little or nothing that you can do about it. Focus on getting as much traffic as possible and give them the best possible experience when they come to your site.

nduncan
    • Total posts: 98
    Up

Hi Leanne,

I would have to agree with t-shirt fan. If it is out of your control then there is little or nothing that you can do about it. Focus on getting as much traffic as possible and give them the best possible experience when they come to your site.

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Hi Leanne and welcome.

Are you able to mention your website? Would love to have a look.

Cheers, Ned

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Hi Leanne and welcome.

Are you able to mention your website? Would love to have a look.

Cheers, Ned

MediaConnects
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Leanne don’t worry about price. Worry about service and what you can offer from a marketing perspective I would look at a blog inside your site on toys and play that will send people to you that way.

I would also look at sites that offer product reviews and get reviews of the products done with links to your site so you become the “exeprt” for those products

Hope that helps you

MediaConnects
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Leanne don’t worry about price. Worry about service and what you can offer from a marketing perspective I would look at a blog inside your site on toys and play that will send people to you that way.

I would also look at sites that offer product reviews and get reviews of the products done with links to your site so you become the “exeprt” for those products

Hope that helps you

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Search engine optimisation will help increase the visibility of your own drop shipping website over your supplier, thus sending more traffic to you = more $$$.

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Search engine optimisation will help increase the visibility of your own drop shipping website over your supplier, thus sending more traffic to you = more $$$.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.