Home – New Forums Tech talk Introducing the Leap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up
    ::

An entirely new way to interact with your computers:
    http://youtu.be/_d6KuiuteIA

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Ah, Minority Report revisited.

I would get very tired arms.

I have a PC but my partner has a Mac, and the touchpad does all this without waving your hands around.

It’s a cool gimmick though.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Rotating 3d stuff with flailing arms can be done almost as easily with a mouse or trackpad. The software to render 3d images in the first place is the impressive bit.

Still, I’m sure this technology has many practical applications. And there’s a host of uses in the gaming environment where mimicking human movement is highly desirable. But this is really just another invention/re-invention of technology aimed mostly at the “play” side of a computing.

What’s sad is that after 30 years of the PC, we’re still rattling away at a keyboard in an extremely inefficient manner making mistake after mistake and taking a comparative eternity to enter data. For business, that single error prone inefficiency costs untold millions every year.

If only I knew how to solve it.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

As someone who hates leaving fingerprints on touch screens, I think this is great.

Now if they can just shrink it down so it can be used on my smart phone.

Tamper Evident
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 117710 wrote:
    As someone who hates leaving fingerprints on touch screens, I think this is great.

Now if they can just shrink it down so it can be used on my smart phone.

They have!
    http://gigaom.com/2011/02/25/look-ma-more-gesture-control-tech-for-phones/

HamishBorthen
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

I’ve seen other videos of this technology where the control could imitate similar movement sizes of say what you use for your mouse. So you don’t really have to see it as complex as energetic as flailing arms.

The main advantage is that you can track all movement of all in 10 fingers. No other device can do that because they are a device. Given time I think some smart people will come up with some mind boggling applications. Perhaps remote surgery etc

In the mean time I need a game I can point and zap goblins and pretend to be a wizard with a pointy hat!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.