Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Introductions – Still thinking about a micro business

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roceal
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

Hoping I can find some useful resources here. I am cautiously dipping my toe into the pool of self-employment. Currently I do not have a business but work part time for a software company. The rest of the time I am busy being a mum to 1 yr old twins.

I have been nursing a desire to have a go at my own micro business for years; Computing is enjoyable enough but can be really dry and intangible, too. Right now I’m looking for resources to do adequate market research into a craft-based business. I love knitting, spinning, weaving, and recently have even tried out woodworking. There are lots of great indie businesses out there for hand crafters – would I be nuts to toss my hat into the ring? I’m wondering if there’s anyone on the forums who has gone through a similar journey & can provide a few helpful insights.

Cheers!
    Andrea

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

I think the great thing about a craft business is that you can test it out in a low-risk way. Make some stuff and see if you can sell it. If you make some sales, then go from there…

Thanks for introducing yourself, and keep us updated once you narrow down to an idea or two. :)

Dave

angeline_z
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Andrea.

Welcome to Flying Solo!

I wrote a related blog post recently to help would-be startups decide when is the right time to go out on their own and some of the things that they should consider.

Feel free to check it out here.

And if you have any specific questions you need answering, please feel free to ask.

Cheers
    Angeline

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Home made or hand made is a tricky business but there are ways of doing it so that you can earn money and have a business model that works.

Like anything the planning stages are fun but scary, do as much research as you can and enjoy the ride.

There is plenty of help available – just ask

Roceal
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Here is my idea as it currently stands. I’m interested in creating tools for knitting & spinning using locally sourced hardwoods. Given my computing background I’m also interested in the potential with laser cutters and/or CNC milling machines to assist with production (eventually, heh!).

Strengths/positives I see at this point:

• I have a membership in the NSW Hand Spinners and Weavers Guild where I can get feedback and potentially sell items to start out with.
    • I haven’t seen a lot of cottage-industry-level tool makers local to Australia – there are lots in the US, but not many here, so I don’t think the (local) competition is huge.
    • With my computing background I’m comfortable setting up a web presence & selling online.

Scary bits & things I haven’t worked out:

• I have no actual business background, so I’m really at sea in the marketing/finance/admin areas.
    • I’m not sure exactly how to assess whether this is sustainable & there’s a big enough market for me.
    • Time. Handcrafts are slow and my job pays me much more for my hours. Plus I need time to develop prototypes of the tools I’d like to make (I’ve used many but never made any). Hence why I’m not in a rush to jump in with both feet just yet.

Hope that gives you a clearer idea of where my thinking is currently at.

Thanks,
    Andrea

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.