Home – New Forums Money matters Invoiced 3 years after recieving a service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brettles
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I have had someone invoice me for advertising from August 2011 to present, The last invoice I got was in Jan 2011.

I understand that I have received the advertising over this period and I am probably liable to make the payment. I actually forgot that they were still providing a service to me as its been that long since I have looked(Probably should of followed up on it), however I think its a bit ridiculous for this to happen and I know that it is because they haven’t gotten around to it again as a similar thing happened in 2011. Their advertising period is 3 monthly and such is what their billing cycle is meant to be.

So is there a limitation on when someone can invoice you?

Thanks in advance for your response

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

It might be a good idea to go to the Office of Fair Trading and ask what is the usual response for this and is it bonafide etc Is there a statute on a time period etc?

Adam Hodgson
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

A quick phone call to the provider could resolve this. Suggest that you are willing to pay for the last , but three years later is just too long.

The provider will probably recognise their mistake and agree to a reasonable solution

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Adam,

What does the original contract state re invoicing? If they have breached this then perhaps you can limit the amount owing but if its watertight you may need to pay the full amount.

Also it may depend on how much you value the partnership as to how this progresses….

Regards,

Mark

Recovery Russ
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Short answer is: It depends. Some industries have specific laws on billing but generally you need to refer to the terms of the original agreement.

If there is nothing stated in the terms, or there are none, it’s incredible poor form but an an invoice can be issued anytime within the statute of limitations. It depends what state you are in, but for most states it is 6 years.

Having said that if someone issued me an invoice years late I wouldn’t be jumping to pay it.

One thing to be careful of is to check that this is the first time the invoice has been issued, they may have issued one straight away but it got lost in the post or sent to an incorrect address or something and then they were just too slack to chase it up.

Brettles
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks for the info guys,

I will drop them an email and see how I go.

it is the first time the invoice has been issued as it has 3 years on one invoice and an invoice date of the 8th Feb from memory.

There is no contractual agreement which makes it difficult, only terms of sale that state that unless I tell them otherwise they will continue to provide the service. However the billing period is quarterly.

Regards,

Brett

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.