Home – New Forums Starting your journey Invoicing for half now half on completion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    andysmithis
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I’m new here. Just started freelancing and have a quick question.

I am invoicing the client for a job, he has agreed to half now and half on completion. How would I be best to invoice this?

Do I invoice for the entire job in one? and allow him to pay half now and half on completion. Or is it best to have two invoices?

Don’t want to look like an idiot by doing one over the other if one is in fact the standard practice.

Thanks,
    Andy

elliottbailey
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Hi Andy, I’d raise two invoices but in the ‘notes’ section refer to the 2nd one!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum :)

Great question! I’m not sure what others do, but I raise separate invoices for the deposit and the balance.

Hope that helps,
    Jayne

andysmithis
    Up

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I reckon I’ll raise 2, and make it clear.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Yeah I always do 2 separate invoices too.

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

Hi,

If you can split the job into 2 parts then have an invoice for each part. But if its multiple payments for the one job, I’d have 1 invoice.

I would have the one invoice with a due date after the expected completion date, ie when the last payment is due. Then all payments can be recorded on the one invoice. So then one invoice to email to him will show the complete status of his payments. Plus then you don’t have the hassle of having 2 invoices in your system that have the same line items etc.

Depending on the software you use, the one invoice would appear open, or in your accounts receivables until the payments are all made.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

If it is one job, then you should be invoicing for the amount of that job, ie. the total amount.

That you are accepting payment in stages is your payment terms as it relates to that job. But you need to establish when each installment is due. For example, in my business I would generally write something along the lines of….

“30% deposit payable in advance with the balance of 70% payable prior to shipment of the goods”

One disincentive for only invoicing for half the amount is that the customer then has the opportunity to walk out half way through for whatever reason, or worse, dispute the total amount payable.

andysmithis
    Up

Ah, I wish you 2 guys had replied sooner. That makes a lot of sense now.

I already invoiced for the deposit. But moving forward I will invoice for the whole job. Payment terms being 50% within 30 days and 50% within 30 days of completion.

Cheers Guys

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.