Home – New Forums Tech talk Invoicing Software for freelance web design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some invoicing software for freelance web designing, preferably something that can integrate with EWay or alternate payment gateway.

I have recently spend far too long battling with WHMCS and its just too clunky.

I really detest the web interface (go figure) for things that I spend alot of time with…in some respects I think everyone’s gone mad….anyway that’s a different topic :)

I am leaning towards MYOB but I am not sure if it can do credit card processing via a payment gateway.

My main priorities are;

• Desktop Application
    • Recurring Invoicing (for hosting packages)
    • Detailed Quotes and quotes to invoices.
    • E-way integration
    • Emailable invoices/pdf’s etc

Thank you kindly for any advice
    John Sheppard

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 17399 wrote:
    I have recently spend far too long battling with WHMCS and its just too clunky.

Hi John,

What issues are you facing with WHMCS? Personally, I think it’s brilliant even for development/design/single fee type services.

Cheers,
    Joel

JohnSheppard
    Up

Well my problem with WHMCS is that … it makes no sense lol…I’m not sure, I just find it really unintuitive.

Primarily I want to be able to quote and invoice for webdesign. The hosting aspect of it I find is great and useful, but its not my core business, although I will be using those features.

I suppose I ran into the following;
    – Trying to get a quote made that was itemised had problems with GST not reading from the product menu correctly. Means double checking everything. Last thing I need is making errors on quoting.
    – On the order form it doesnt read recurring entries properly from the database meaning I have to double check things again leading to errors.
    – Couldn’t place recurring items on a quote, mixed with once off items
    – Trying to place an order in one step without it sending off a gazillion emails, there is no single order form that I am aware of where I can just add lines of billable items.
    – Importing orders from a highly customised order form is complex. Their shopping cart system and templates are geared towards hosting.

Some of those statements may be incorrect as I haven’t REALLY tried hard to sort them out yet. I havent given up on it just yet and I’ve given it a break because I wanted to kill the damn thing last week, I’ve put it on the backburner until next week. I do need to put more research into it.

I would however LOVE to hear what your processes are for placing orders and making quotes because I would like to use it if I can…

But then I was thinking…a simple invoicing system is just easier, I’d be set up and ready to go in 2 hours in MYOB.

Thank you
    John

Webolution
    Up

I see your point, and I don’t think WHMCS is the perfect solution for a service based business. It does cover hosting/domains extremely well, and is extensible, but packages like MYOB and saasu are just so quick to setup and easy to use. WHMCS has the extra billable items and those great new features however they are an afterthought and not the core of the package.

Cheers,
    Joel

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 17399 wrote:
    Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some invoicing software for freelance web designing, preferably something that can integrate with EWay or alternate payment gateway.

My main priorities are;

• Desktop Application
    • E-way integration

Hi John

If you’re a software developer, why not just write your own? :) lol

Seriously, I’ve developed an application for a customer that pretty much includes your list above.

They get a CSV file of satellite phone call data which gets imported into the database. Monthly fees are added automatically (and if necessary, pro-rated according to start date of service), call charges are totalled according to plan rate (per minute), invoices are produced (main payment page, call summary and detail pages) any of which can be reprinted at any time; GST is added for Australian customers only (there are some international customers too); it then creates a data file for uploading to the “eVolve” payment gateway. The results are then downloaded and processed, and then it automatically connects to and creates entries in Quickbooks. I’ve just added the capability of emailing those invoices (as PDF’s) to their customers.

They’ve been using this application for the last six years – it just keeps working! :) I’d be happy to give you their number as a testimonial.

I’d really like to talk to you about this, as I’m always on the lookout for more work. I currently live in Maryborough QLD, but am moving to Forest Lake QLD in early December, and want to get back into the Independent Software Developer role again (I miss it!) so I need some customers! :)

Love the FAQ on your website as well – straight and to the point answers. Well done.

Cheers
    Brad

Webolution
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 17403 wrote:
    I suppose I ran into the following;
    – Trying to get a quote made that was itemised had problems with GST not reading from the product menu correctly. Means double checking everything. Last thing I need is making errors on quoting.
    – On the order form it doesnt read recurring entries properly from the database meaning I have to double check things again leading to errors.
    – Couldn’t place recurring items on a quote, mixed with once off items
    – Trying to place an order in one step without it sending off a gazillion emails, there is no single order form that I am aware of where I can just add lines of billable items.
    – Importing orders from a highly customised order form is complex. Their shopping cart system and templates are geared towards hosting.

Hi John,

I’ve just had a play around with the quoting within WHMCS, and I found:

– you can create a mix quote with recurring products and one-off products
    – the GST was working fine for me

The other issues are both true and I’m not sure of easy ways around it. There are so many other systems available (MYOB, saasu, BillingOrchard to name a few) – I guess you could trial them to see if they fit the bill. Or go down the route of custom software (if the cost/benefit ratio is good).

Cheers,
    Joel

JohnSheppard
    Up
    bradzo, post: 17433 wrote:
    Hi John

If you’re a software developer, why not just write your own? :) lol

haha, to be honest, I’d rather be developing my own than web design lol…but designing your own software doesn’t pay the bills and as you will know…it’s a full time role :)

Being a freelancer I wont have the scale to warrant the kinds of investment’s it needs

If you want to have an academic discussion about it, I would however be interested to chat about it. In terms of desktop applications I use only LLBLGEN, C#, Winforms and Devexpress and would be forcing any contractors to use those techs and horribly micromanaging them :) Pop me a private message if ya do…

bradzo, post: 17433 wrote:
    Love the FAQ on your website as well – straight and to the point answers. Well done.

Thanks, lol I spent hours working through those :) It’s still a work in progress because I’m not actually operating commercially yet.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Webolution, post: 17434 wrote:
    Hi John,

I’ve just had a play around with the quoting within WHMCS, and I found:

– you can create a mix quote with recurring products and one-off products
    – the GST was working fine for me

The other issues are both true and I’m not sure of easy ways around it.

I’ll have to have another look at it. Thanks for looking at it for me, you’ve maybe given me some hope! I’ll see what comes of it and let you know. I reckon monday will be WHMCS day!

Webolution, post: 17434 wrote:
    There are so many other systems available (MYOB, saasu, BillingOrchard to name a few) – I guess you could trial them to see if they fit the bill. Or go down the route of custom software (if the cost/benefit ratio is good).

Cost/benefit for custom software rarely stacks up in my experience, its a medium to enterprise proposition in most cases.

I have looked around at a few online offerings, but to be honest, I dont get it, the market it so saturated it gives me a head ache, they all lack features somewhere along the line, overpriced (vs say MYOB) and they’re web based which makes little sense to me for an application you practically live in all day….

The eWAY Team
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi John,

You may already have found a suitable provider, but if not, feel free to give us a call. We offer free 24/7 phone support, and we’d be happy to discuss billing software with you. (Some of our other merchants use Freshbooks, Invoicera and SimpleInvoices.)

Thanks for using eWAY!

Kind regards,
    The eWAY Team

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 17399 wrote:
    My main priorities are;

• Desktop Application
    • E-way integration

Hi John,

I’m not sure if you had a look at our solution, we have had discussion and some trials with E-way but there are still some glitches. We’ve had contact with a coupe more providers to integrate with Nominal in the last couple of weeks.

Would love to hear from you if there is anything I can do to help, or if you have any feedback or comments.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.