Home – New Forums Tech talk Is anyone using MS Outlook 2007 Business Contact Manager?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KLM
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

I’m providing some training for a client but also thinking about a CRM system for my business. I’d like to know if anyone is using this tool, how they are using it and what the pros and cons are please. Thanks! :D

Bizzy
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Hi KLM,

I have used the business contact manager, it’s good for keeping track of previous emails to that person, as well as storing basic details against that record etc.

I think it really is meant as a ‘micro’ CRM system, especially so as not to compete with the other CRM product by Microsoft.

In my opinion I would say if you are not managing too many contacts and you really just want the very basics about them then it is all you need and it’s free which is great. Past that then you are actually starting to look into a proper CRM system.

KLM
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Thank you Bizzy!

Pauline
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hiya,

Yes, I’m also using it as a CRM, I like it because you can automatically link emails and such to the “account” (customer) and you can do history items, such as phone logs and visits and such, which is excellent. You can also link appointments to the client, and categorise as you wish, which I like, although I’d prefer more categories.

I’m actually wondering if I can link this somehow to MYOB, (I have business basics) so that I don’t have to double-enter my client details. I’m also having some hassles in that some MS features are developing compatibility issues with Business Contact Manager (such as Publisher) sometimes they work, sometimes there’s a dialogue box saying it won’t… not really an issue unless you want to use that feature.

I’m actually searching through this forum topic to see if there’s an all-in-one accounts package and CRM which is easy to use for a rank beginner like me, which is acceptable to the ATO and to accountants (when I find one)

Regards,
    Pauline

IronMaiden
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

Personally I’d avoid BCM. We’ve had no end of hassles with trying to get Outlook to read BCM files when they’ve had to be reloaded onto the computer. MS does not support it (we’ve the version that came with 2007 whereas they now make you buy it separately) and despite finding lots of comments via Google from people querying how to resolve the same issue we had, no one from MS has posted a fix.

As a non-tecchie in layman’s terms, BCM saves it’s data in two files (data & logfile) which has to sync and we’ve found that we need to get someone who understands SQL to get it to associate. The downtime we’ve experienced as a result of not having access to our data has been very costly. I’m still missing my history and notes! From Paulines comment it also has issues within the Office framework as well. We’re probably going to move to Sage ACT just to get away from another Microsoft blunder should our computer ever need to be reloaded from scratch again. (BTW the other thing we liked about ACT was that you can get an add on which will integrate with MYOB data).

JMHO.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.