Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Is Cold Calling a Good Idea for an SEO business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    seowarlock
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone.

We are currently exploring what options to add to the marketing arsenal apart from seo, we have been on facebook for a while, gave twitter a try and also are now considering cold calling.

I personally believe that cold calling is by itself not exactly the best marketing idea for an SEO company because a lot of people don’t even know what SEO is but other members of the team seem to think it’s a good idea.

Oh by the way when I mean cold calling I mean calling number directly out of the phone book.

Can anybody give me some ideas or their thoughts on the matter of whether an SEO business should just randomly call numbers out of a phone book in order to get more clients?

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

I think sending an email first and then following up a couple days later with a call would be more polite.

Let me know how it goes for you though?

PS. how is your seo business progressing?

Josh

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I get at least one call a week from someone who “can’t find me on google” or wants to “get me on the first page of google”.

To which I answer “then you’ve used search terms I am not interested in, goodbye” or “I’m already there, goodbye”.

None, of them talk about ‘SEO’ they try and sell the benefit straight off the bat. The problem you have is that if I am getting constant calls for this then so are lots of other businesses from SEO companies taking the random calls approach.

What I would do is rather than use a shot gun (random numbers) to just find prospects to ring like everone else does; I would get a rifle and target specific businesses. I would get out the Yellow Pages, choose an industry and spend an hour or so looking at the players in that market. Who is prepared to spend $10k+ on an advert there. Then research on the internet and find the businesses that are happy to spend money in the YP but are hard to find on google. I have a gut feeling that you will find there is a relationship between big YP advertisers and poorly optimised web sites. In my industry the businesses that have their SEO sorted are the ones who have dumped YP.

Then using a report template you create for the purpose you can prepare a 2-3 page report on how their business fairs against other named businesses in their industry and how you can improve it. You could show screen dumps of google where they can clearly see their competitors results and them missing.

Then phone the company and tell them you want to send them some marketing research you have done in the ‘abc’ industry and would just like to know who the best person to send it to.

Now you have a name of some one who could genuinely use your help, send them the info and go get ’em.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    Netboost SEO, post: 70406 wrote:
    I think sending an email first and then following up a couple days later with a call would be more polite.

Let me know how it goes for you though?

PS. how is your seo business progressing?

Josh

Might have some issues with SPAM laws here.

Please don’t take this as a personal plug, but a personalised letter followed up by a call campaign has always proved very effective.

If you want some assistance with script ideas, I would be happy to offer my assistance (not charged of course, I’m not that good ;) but do have a lot of telemarketing and sales experience.

Also agree with what Steve said, don’t phone up and play the ‘I cant find you on google’ angle, cheap and nasty!!!

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I get billions (possibly an exaggeration) of impersonal emails every day from SEO companies trying to flog their wares. They are all immediately relocated to the junk folder.

I can only speak for myself, but a company that sends me spam is doing their reputation way more harm than good.

I’m not really a huge fan of cold calling by phone or in person, because I hate being the recipient of it, but it can work really well for some businesses. It may be worth giving it a shot. Why not trial it for a day or a week, and see if it brings in any quality business?

If I ran an SEO company and was as good as it as every company says they are, I’d focus my efforts and money into getting to the top of the google rankings for very highly searched keywords. Once I got to the top, the marketing would take care of itself.

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Do it.

Cold calling is absolutely fine and a very good skill to get good at…

Just remember that you’re a fellow business person just like them…you’re a part of the business community just like them.

And you’re just reaching out to let people know about what you do…that’s it.

It can be something like:

Hi, it’s Blinky The Bear here…I own an SEO Practice here in Sydney and I’m just calling around to see if there’s any way that I can help out the business community…I’m currently doing “SEO” for business owners which is a boring way of saying “I help find new customers for people”…is that something you’d be interested?

If the answers “no” then move on.

If it’s “yes” then offer them a free consult or whatever.

If it’s an “I’m not sure” then move on.

Cold calling is cool…that’d be a good t-shirt

AgentMail
    Up
    Jay-T, post: 70445 wrote:
    Hi, it’s Blinky The Bear here…

I want an appointment from Blinky the Bear!!!!

In all seriousness, that is as simple as it needs to be though – straight to the point, check if there is interest, and if not, move on. Remember, as well as making appointments etc. you are creating brand recognition with every person you speak to. So always be friendly, but don’t waste your time trying to convince people that aren’t interested :)

seowarlock
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hey Jay-T,

I was personally against cold calling because I considered it to be rude but I guess if your doing it the way you said to do it it’s perfectly polite and acceptable. I love it.

Yeah Cold Calling is cool… Would be a great t-shirt not sure if I would have the guts to wear it down the street though.

Cheers
    George

Jay-T, post: 70445 wrote:
    Do it.

Cold calling is absolutely fine and a very good skill to get good at…

Just remember that you’re a fellow business person just like them…you’re a part of the business community just like them.

And you’re just reaching out to let people know about what you do…that’s it.

It can be something like:

Hi, it’s Blinky The Bear here…I own an SEO Practice here in Sydney and I’m just calling around to see if there’s any way that I can help out the business community…I’m currently doing “SEO” for business owners which is a boring way of saying “I help find new customers for people”…is that something you’d be interested?

If the answers “no” then move on.

If it’s “yes” then offer them a free consult or whatever.

If it’s an “I’m not sure” then move on.

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

Thats an interesting theory to test out steve, maybe I should consult the yellow pages…

Jay-T
    Up
    seowarlock, post: 70463 wrote:
    Hey Jay-T,

I was personally against cold calling because I considered it to be rude but I guess if your doing it the way you said to do it it’s perfectly polite and acceptable. I love it.

Yeah Cold Calling is cool… Would be a great t-shirt not sure if I would have the guts to wear it down the street though.

Cheers
    George

I remember hearing about a guy Gary Halbert (legendary copywriter) who used to wear a “Clients Suck” cap! LOL

He’d wear it at his seminars…legend.

One of the first clients I worked with was in SEO and she used to do sales calls and I helped her win a $48k per year account by reinventing her sales process so that it was more “ergonomic” for her and her prospect…she was pretty happy :)

The first goal when cold calling is to not create more resistance than there needs to be which is the problem with traditional selling…cold calling isn’t necessarily “hard”…the approach you use determines how hard or easy it can be.

Want a hard day cold calling? Then simply do the following:

• Assume that everyone you call on needs your solution.
    • Counter every objection they come up with so they feel humiliated and dumb.
    • Use greasy “closing techniques”.
    • Don’t accept a “no” until you hear it at least 8 times.

Want an easy cold calling session? Then simply do the following:

• Acknowledge the fact that you’re solution isn’t right for everyone and only a very small handful on any given day will be interested in meeting with you.
    • If they object to anything then that probably means that they’re not qualified and not ready for your solution – try again another time.
    • Don’t use closing techniques…the prospect already knows that they interested in the first few seconds of your opening so if you’re solution is right for them then the close will happen naturally.
    • Be okay with hearing “no” and trust that at that moment in time they “think” that they don’t need it – regardless if they need it or not it’s for them to decide not you.

In short: be “user-friendly”.

Be polite and respectful and call them back at a later time to check up on them to see if their situation has changed at all.

AgentMail
    Up

Seriously great advice Jay-T, am gonna look into the T-shirt too.
    Perhaps the ‘customers suck’ cap with the ‘I Love cold calling’ tshirt ;)

Jay-T
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 70498 wrote:
    Seriously great advice Jay-T, am gonna look into the T-shirt too.
    Perhaps the ‘customers suck’ cap with the ‘I Love cold calling’ tshirt ;)

Alright you order them in and I’ll sell them! I know a few people who’d really dig the ‘clients suck’ cap and sadly enough I know a couple that would wear the cold calling t-shirt around the city with a lot of pride ;)

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

We’ve tried cold calling in the past and it has actually been quite a success. If someone is interested in the services which we offer, we’ll then send them a follow up email.

Shaun

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.