Home – New Forums Starting your journey Is dotcom critical for an Aussie business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bizhound
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I am looking to fastrack the start up of my business as I have already secured a few clients now and it will look better for me to any potential word of mouth client if I have something established asap.

I have just applied for an ABN so I just have to wait for that, the .com.au domain looks to be free but the .com seems to be owned by someone but the page has long expired. Although I planned to secure both domain names I can’t secure the .com version (at this stage) unfortunately.

Given it will primarily be an Australian business I think it will be ok for the long term anyway if I don’t have the .com version. I just don’t want to risk losing business opportunities just over a few letters in a domain name. Any thoughts or experiences?

I guess I can keep periodically checking if that domain just happens to become available.

p.s. Sorry I am not stating my intended business/domain name yet. I can’t risk losing it at the moment.

Cheers

Paul Murphy
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

If your market is primarily Australian, then a .com doesn’t really add anything – you would want to market under the .com.au anyway, as I think for some an Australian business without a .com.au is viewed (very) mildly negatively.

I say this from a bit of an outsiders perspective, as I am from the UK, where a .com is seen as marginally better than a .co.uk

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I’d say definitely secure the .com.au as quick as you can. Webcity’s got 2 years at 25.90 or something crazy like that. Then, keep an eye on the .com one, but I’d avoid showing interest in it as then the owner will renew it and want money for it.

I always advise clients that having both is ideal, because you will get folks that forget the end bit, but the .com.au is essential and the .com is just gravy.

Good luck with that.

VacuumRobot.com.au
    • Total posts: 113
    Up

Aussieworker,

a .com.au is a lot better than a .com for an Australian only business, as you don’t need the .com unless your estimated traffic is high, it doesn’t matter in the end. Make 0 difference. However if your estimated traffic is high.. you would want both the .com and the .com.au

Dave

HammocksAust
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Yes, my thought are inline with the others that having a .com.au is sufficient if you plan on operating within Australia. If you can get the .com in the coming year(s) then that is a bonus and as it doesn’t cost very much probably worthwhile.

All the best with it.

Guy
    http://www.hammocksaustralia.com.au

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

It may not be critical… but is sure is helpful in making sure you capture everybody that is looking for you.

I have both – .com and .com.au and have pointed the .com domain towards the .com.au. It never ceases to amaze me just how much traffic we get from the .dot com domain name.

I have a favourite saying – “all roads lead to Budget Bitch”… hehehehehe

cheers,

B.B.

VacuumRobot.com.au
    • Total posts: 113
    Up
    B.B., post: 7918 wrote:
    I have a favourite saying – “all roads lead to Budget Bitch”… hehehehehe

Lol.. it’s a good domain.. I’ve just checked it out.. what a bitch :)

Julia Nitschke
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi – I dont think it matters. If you are dealing in the AUD market, they are used to putting a .com.au in to web pages. If you are looking at expanding beyond Australia then it may be useful later, but I dont think it is really that relevant.

I think the only benefit is if people are looking for you and accidently put in the wrong address, but then if it doesnt work people these days are usually smart enough to put the .au at the end.

Hope it helps
    Julia

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

If your business is primarily in Australia and you have no intention in the short term to market internationally then a .com.au is better, especially in regards to search engine rankings.

A .com.au will rank better in google.com.au searches, as well as if people to region specific searches.

Best of luck! Oh.. if you need to register the domain, I am a .com.au domain wholeseller for my clients and I am happy to sell you the domain at cost price! Drop me a PM if your interested.

megasuccess
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Just a little while back I had to make a decision about whether or not to use .com or .com.au for my website.
    After careful consideration I realised that .com.au would be best for my business as I only market in Australia and it lets Aussies know immediately that my business is right for them.
    Sometimes a .com address can put people off as they may think they will have to deal with a business in another country.
    If you want to market in the US or another country I would suggest going with .com only.
    Hope this helps

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I would have to agree that if you are targeting the Aussie market then .com.au is the best.

I only have a .com on my domain because I was naive or lazy cant remember too long ago, but had I registered .au I am sure my business would have brought more people to my site.

Shade
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

This is one of the key questions I was asking myself as a lot of business literature says you must have a .com in order to be truly viable in a marketing sense.

How relieved I am to see this is not the case!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.