Home – New Forums Selling online Is Facebook Sending you out of Business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ::

Are you finding Facebook useful or useless?

How are you using to build your customer base?

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

I’m finding it useful, particularly as a medium to give a few simple hints, tips or reminders to our clients, and to attract the interest of potential future customers.

The insights are certainly helpful in easily measuring the effectiveness of our efforts, which I think is important. It’s helpful to know, for example, how many people have clicked on a link we’ve shared, etc.

The targeted advertising is also pretty useful and makes it reasonably good value for money.

Al.

Emily Cooper
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I think it’s great for sharing visual content and connecting with others, but they move the goal posts so often that it’s almost impossible to keep up.
    Just when you think you have your Social Media strategy sorted with Facebook, they change their algorithms and you suddenly don’t know know where you stand anymore.

And it seems that free content is being suppressed in favour of paid posts. I don’t think enough users know about the Add To Interest Lists (http://on.fb.me/124OWW7) and Get Notifications (http://on.fb.me/YlJ6u7) features as a workaround.

All of this makes it hard to build up engagement and meaningful communication as a business page.
    Having said that, I hear that there’s a press conference in a few days about Facebook overhauling the News Feed for pages amongst other things. So I’ll just keep hanging on…!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Jenny,

For me its useless.
    How do you feel about taking a surveymonkey poll on this?

Steve

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 153838 wrote:
    Hi Jenny,

For me its useless.
    How do you feel about taking a surveymonkey poll on this?

SteveCould this be because you have not posted anything since 2011?

Facebook is not for everyone nor is it for all business types.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 153842 wrote:
    Could this be because you have not posted anything since 2011?

Facebook is not for everyone nor is it for all business types.

Your right and there is only something there becasue someone else made it for me. I think I’ll make an “Im too old to get excited about FB” page. I bet that would attract more followers or generate more thumb ups.

Steve

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Jenny

I like facebook, although struggle with it at a medium for sales.. i know its a social network, maybe i am just not social enough.. i struggle to log in, to update with relevant info and to retain the interests of others..

Honestly, its almost like i need to sit with a FB Guru to be put on the right track.. i just cant seem to get aligned well enough to make it generate what i would expect it to…

Although, this post has actually made me research it again.. maybe i need to roll it out and keep it going,,, rather than roll and not posting..
    😮

Cheers and thanks for the thought invoking query

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Emily Cooper
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 153851 wrote:
    Honestly, its almost like i need to sit with a FB Guru to be put on the right track.. i just cant seem to get aligned well enough to make it generate what i would expect it to…

Although, this post has actually made me research it again.. maybe i need to roll it out and keep it going,,, rather than roll and not posting..

Check out this webinar recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwoOxUFT3uY ;)

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Emily Cooper, post: 153836 wrote:
    I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook….
    And it seems that free content is being suppressed in favour of paid posts. I don’t think enough users know about the Add To Interest Lists (http://on.fb.me/124OWW7) and Get Notifications (http://on.fb.me/YlJ6u7) features as a workaround.

I’m with you on this one Emily. I think there are some really wonderful uses for Facebook, especially for particular industries and those that are B2C.

Unfortunately it’s not as user-friendly for B2B, since those workarounds you mention are only available on personal profiles, not business pages. Because I keep my FB interactions on my business page, between other business pages, it frustrates me no end that I can only see some of the posts from the pages I follow (yet I see every single post they “like” on the pages THEY follow – argh!).

Overall I think there’s been value and I’ve managed to elicit a number of client leads (and conversions) through my page. Even without those, I think there’s value to be had in the exposure, which all adds up to the overall “presence” of my brand.

Potential clients may not come to me directly through FB, but if they can see me there, and my site, and blog, and Twitter, etc… it offers a level of assurance that I’m not a dodgy fly-by-night operation. They can see I’ve been around a while and built a community.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 153844 wrote:
    Your right and there is only something there becasue someone else made it for me. I think I’ll make an “Im too old to get excited about FB” page. I bet that would attract more followers or generate more thumb ups.

Steve

I’ll happily become your first fully paid up member.

I considered “removing any trace of Facebook membership” to my list of services, after doing it as a favour for friends.

John Debrincat
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 153825 wrote:
    Are you finding Facebook useful or useless?

How are you using to build your customer base?

Facebook is just another tool that you use. Some tools you like and some not so much but they are all useful when used for the right purpose. eCorner has had a Facebook page for a number of years along with Blog, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, Digg, YouTube and others.

I love my chainsaw but it is not so great for trimming the hedge but if I want to cut down a tree its my best friend. You need the right tool for the right job.

Facebook is important for us we use it to communicate with customers and promote new offers and customer sites. We get good feedback. Our Facebook page layout is not great but it works. The key thing is to communicate and provide useful content. If all you do is promote then you won’t get the results.

We have used Facebook ads and found that they do not convert as well as Google Adwords. They used to cost a lot less as well but that has changed. The ability to have paid promotion on a post works very well and for $10 or $15 you can get to 1000’s of people with targeted content. So they are a numbers game.

If you setup social media correctly then everything is connected. So the effort to maintain content and posts is simplified.

It is also not an age issue, all tools change and improve (hopefully) and that goes for Facebook. Those people who dismiss it just miss out an opportunity.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 153877 wrote:
    It is also not an age issue, all tools change and improve (hopefully) and that goes for Facebook. Those people who dismiss it just miss out an opportunity.

I shouldn’t dismiss it as a business tool … if it works fine.

It just happens to have absolutely no appeal to me as either a consumer, business, or personal user … I’ll happily stay in the minority.

But I would note that from the number of posts on how to get it right, and the associated frustration with same (and to use your tool analogy), it seems a bit like using a cheap cordless drill to batch a truck load of concrete. :)

Emily Cooper
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 153866 wrote:
    Potential clients may not come to me directly through FB, but if they can see me there, and my site, and blog, and Twitter, etc… it offers a level of assurance that I’m not a dodgy fly-by-night operation. They can see I’ve been around a while and built a community.

I agree Anna, Facebook is a good ‘front page’ of your social media presence.
    I also try to keep my business & personal pages separate too, so hopefully these rumoured changes will help!

John Debrincat, post: 153877 wrote:
    I love my chainsaw but it is not so great for trimming the hedge but if I want to cut down a tree its my best friend. You need the right tool for the right job.

Well put! :p

estim8, post: 153889 wrote:
    But I would note that from the number of posts on how to get it right, and the associated frustration with same (and to use your tool analogy), it seems a bit like using a cheap cordless drill to batch a truck load of concrete. :)

And yes, unfortunately it does make it hard to get the job done when the tool is always changing its shape!

Emily Cooper
    Up

One final thought is that Facebook is becoming more important with Google. Off-page Search Engine Optimisation through Social Media is increasing and is a good way to build incoming links to your website through content sharing. So in that case it may still be worth the hassle!

John Debrincat
    Up
    Emily Cooper, post: 153997 wrote:
    So in that case it may still be worth the hassle!

You are 100% correct Emily. I know there are a lot of people that dislike or won’t use Facebook. They carry that idea through to their business and their customers if they are advisers. What they fail to comprehend is that may not be what a potential customers/consumer buying online will do or think. This topic stream is about “selling online” so it is not about if personally you like or dislike Facebook. It is about what is best for an online business to consider.

We often have interesting discussion take place with business owners who firmly believe that they know what is best for their online store and user experience. They look at the business from their viewpoint and not their potential customers viewpoint. So they end up missing out and generally revise their ideas a few months down the track.

Social media is now very important when selling online it can mean the difference between success or failure. There is a good blog post from Dell about Social Media predictions for 2013. There are changes coming but it certainly is not going away any time soon.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.