Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Is Flash based website a good idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Divya R
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    ::

Hello All,

I am about to set up my fashion website and was wondering if having a flash front page is a good idea?

The reason I ask is because I have heard the non flash websites have a better SEO ranking.

What should I do?

Regards,

Divya

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You should not use Flash if you want to be seen on iPhones and iPads. Many of your prospects would have those items. Also, search engines can’t search text in Flash. So, it is recommended not to use Flash for your website.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You should not use Flash if you want to be seen on iPhones and iPads. Many of your prospects would have those items. Also, search engines can’t search text in Flash. So, it is recommended not to use Flash for your website.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

No, you should not use Flash. Flash is slowly losing relevance. Apart from the SEO and iphone / ipad issues, developing a Flash website that looks any good is very expensive.

You should also not use an intro page, Flash or HTML – they serve no purpose. The home page of your website should be the first page users land on.

Hope this helps :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

No, you should not use Flash. Flash is slowly losing relevance. Apart from the SEO and iphone / ipad issues, developing a Flash website that looks any good is very expensive.

You should also not use an intro page, Flash or HTML – they serve no purpose. The home page of your website should be the first page users land on.

Hope this helps :)

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I have to say, I was expecting to open this post and see lots of pro- and anti-flash arguments happening. ;)

I’d say definitely steer clear of Flash. Not only is it more difficult to maintain and more expensive to have designed, you’ll alienate your mobile users (iPhone, iPads can’t view Flash) which these days is usually a massive portion of your visitors. On top of that, website visitors are impatient unfortunately. Waiting for Flash to load is a pain!

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I have to say, I was expecting to open this post and see lots of pro- and anti-flash arguments happening. ;)

I’d say definitely steer clear of Flash. Not only is it more difficult to maintain and more expensive to have designed, you’ll alienate your mobile users (iPhone, iPads can’t view Flash) which these days is usually a massive portion of your visitors. On top of that, website visitors are impatient unfortunately. Waiting for Flash to load is a pain!

Divya R
    Up

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I shall keep it straight and simple :)

Divya R
    Up

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I shall keep it straight and simple :)

Trindy
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

It is possible to set up a slideshow on your front page that will showcase your designs and cataglogue.

Slideshows do not have to be done in flash. So you can still have something very pretty and stylish that showcases your work.

But, would highly recommend against developing in flash.

Best of luck with your website design!

Trindy
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

It is possible to set up a slideshow on your front page that will showcase your designs and cataglogue.

Slideshows do not have to be done in flash. So you can still have something very pretty and stylish that showcases your work.

But, would highly recommend against developing in flash.

Best of luck with your website design!

AdoriaPhotography
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Yes, I also recommend steering clear of using Flash on any new website you build.
    Our photography website has only been up for about a month so its early days for us, but according to the Google stats, 21% of people visiting the site so far have been using either an iphone or ipad. I think that is a significant number.

f.y.i. The galleries on our site were done with WordPress and Nextgen Plugin.
    While they may not be as elaborate as a typical flash site, we thought it would be better to let the images speak for themselves rather than getting too distracted by fancy transitions etc.

Cheers,
    Steve – Adoria Photography

AdoriaPhotography
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Yes, I also recommend steering clear of using Flash on any new website you build.
    Our photography website has only been up for about a month so its early days for us, but according to the Google stats, 21% of people visiting the site so far have been using either an iphone or ipad. I think that is a significant number.

f.y.i. The galleries on our site were done with WordPress and Nextgen Plugin.
    While they may not be as elaborate as a typical flash site, we thought it would be better to let the images speak for themselves rather than getting too distracted by fancy transitions etc.

Cheers,
    Steve – Adoria Photography

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.