Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Is internet killing the traditional store?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    ::

Here is an interesting article from the Sydney Morning herald on the impact of online shipping on bricks and mortar stores.

Questions for here are:

1. If you are a traditional store, is online competition hurting you?

2. Are you going online to compete?

3. Are you online and perhaps going the other way – to a real world physical store and why?

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

I have both and I would say 65-75% of my $$ are earnt online

vintagefabrics
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

We have been an online business for seven years and we’re now thinking of expanding into the brick and mortar market – so we’re doing it the other way around. We sell fabric – an item most people like to hold before they purchase – and we feel not having a walk-in store reduces our local market…

King
    Up
    miley, post: 0 wrote:
    well Yes it is affecting traditional store to some extent but it can never kill the stores at all, You see still world has so many people who just get satisfaction of shopping by moving to stores, and those can always remain the hope for stores who love to bargain … ;)

So Miley, as a business owner, what is your experience – are you online/offline or both?

Ding Duck
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

G’day all,

From what I have seen in my hobby, the internet is making severe inroads into the traditional store. It has also seen suppliers that have an online presence be thrown out of shops, as they use the shop to promote their product, and with the product, they include a web address for further sales.

The way that my business plan was set up was that the stores would promote my product on their website, so clients could come to them and purchase from the shops. A couple of people have tried to track the product down, but it is hard when the shop name and phone number are the only things on the packaging. By my doing that, I am helping to promote the shop and give the shop return business.

My figuring is that it is easier for me to get 100% for my product rather than have to chase around to get 150% for my product. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree by wanting to support other small business, but, I am only thinking of the hobby and other traders…

Ding.

Gomage
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I will not buy cloths on-line. Never! Very often I saw a thing I liked I tryed it on and understood that it did not fit me.
    As for home appliencies they will leave real live I think

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    King, post: 56655 wrote:
    So Miley, as a business owner, what is your experience – are you online/offline or both?

Sorry Matt, Miley was a spammer and is gone now.

cheers
    Jayne

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

If ever there was a subject that is so close to my business and my heart – this is the one. Thks King for posting it.

The stats say, that out of all purchases made online, travel represents the largest proportion. I think something like 30% of all money spent on the net is on travel or travel related products. So the internet has definitely made a huge impact on this industry.

But it is all about perceptions. The first thing you hear when asked if buying on the net is cheaper is yes, of course. There is no way of changing that perception. The shift to the net is also very “demographically” segmented with younger generation a lot more likely to buy on the net.

What does it all mean for us the travel agents ? We’ve thought and thought about the ways to deal with it and we’ve changed the way we “sell”. Anyone who is simply fighting the net on price might as well pack up. When pple ask me why is it so and so much on the net we just say that:
    – on the net YOU do the work
    – good luck calling an airline or whatever if the crap hits the fan

Weekend papers are always full of letters to editor with complaints that this or that wasn’t done properly but the author never mentions the fact that they booked it on the net. So it’s simple – if you book it on the net – buyer beware rule applies.

Fortunately I can happily report that the net is not killing my traditional store. We’ve learnt to deal with it in our own ways. But it sure has a huge impact on the industry.

King
    Up

Than ks for that Travelmaster. I am in the travel space too – online- and it is a killer environment out there. I suspect that maybe even tougher than for physical stores due to the monopolies of the big few.

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I think there will always be a place for the specalisted offline outfit though, someone who can provide personalised service. The problem has been that customer service by traditional retailers has been so poor in many cases that for many people they have offered no additional value and therefore we may as well buy online.

In travel for instance I can see how a specalised upper market travel agency could work really well offline, but perhaps not so well online.

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

I have a shop and also sell online, and for the first time ever the month of October our internet sales were more than our sales from the Front Door or our Shop. Online is getting really huge in Australia and we have to jump on the train as it already started its way up.
    We have been really busy with the shop, specially this time of the year: so I have found my self doing almost all my shopping online: is because really really: I don’t have time to go out and see shops and try jeans and get upset with their “offers” of buy one for $79 or two for $100…??? I do enjoy buying online, I think is part of this generation where we are at, we might as well make the best out of it!

King
    Up

WOW – thanks AnaLucia – that is really interesting to hear.

Will be interesting to see how things go over the next 12 months. Maybe this time next year the store will be more of a glorified warehouse perhaps for stock for online sales?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

There are a few very successful online stores compared to the many that die an expensive death.

As some folk have already commented, the product type has a big bearing on its online acceptance.

If you are selling books, CDs, videos, travel, insurance, or a host of other categories where you don’t need to feel the product or try it for size, then you are more vulnerable to online competition.

I believe what will create an even bigger impact on the growth of retail sales is the spread of smartphone usage.

Put a mobile “readable” sign in your shop window and you could achieve results you have never before imagined.

Want to know how this could happen? Send me a PM.

Regs,

King
    Up
    JohnW, post: 56943 wrote:
    Put a mobile “readable” sign in your shop window and you could achieve results you have never before imagined.

Want to know how this could happen? Send me a PM.

Regs,

Why not just share it with the whole community?

King
    Up

I was talking to a store owner today – well, they have several physical stores that sell furniture. He said they have been selling stock that was slow to move in the shops, on Ebay and he is selling heaps at great profit.

He is amazed: “who would have thought” he said.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.