Home – New Forums Money matters Is interstate move tax deductible?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I have moved interstate and with me of course my business.
    Now I’d like to know if I can claim part of those expenses as business expenses.

Thanks in advance.

Warmest regards,
    Mel

ZoeGillard
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Mel

I do not know the answer to this however I would assume that if the move was for private purposes then the costs will not be deductible. The only costs that might be deductible are those that relate directly to the relocation of the business, so perhaps freight and cartage on the relocation of business assets.

I hope this helps but I would definitely suggest getting proper advice if you would like more accurate information.

Caticlan
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Mel,

As already stated moving expenses are generally treated as private expenses and not tax deductible. Any costs related to moving business items would be tax deductible.

If you are moving as an employee you could consider asking your employer about salary packaging your moving expenses to get the benefit of paying with pre-tax dollars.

quickbas
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I have done 6 big moves in the last 10 years including international (Canada and back) and 2 interstate. I asked my accountant each time if any costs of relocating are tax deductible, as the moves were completely work-related. Each time, the answer was “no”.

I did not have any stock or equipment to move, just personal belongings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.