Home – New Forums Tech talk Is it better to use Disqus or BBpress?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    richardsmith
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

Has anyone used Disqus on their website for commenting and forums?

To me, Disqus looks a lot nicer than BBpress, but I’ve been told you lose ownership of your data and it might not be as good for SEO. Is this true?

I’ve also looked at Discourse and Muut, but am not sure whether these will be too complicated to set up. Any other plugins worth considering for commenting and forums on a WordPress site?

Thanks,
    Rich

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Rich,
    Getting people to join a conversation is often not easy – most blogs for example would love to have additional comments.

So an important consideration ought to be what gives the user the best experience or is easiest to use?

shart
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi there,

A colleague of mine has been using Disqus for her wordpress site and she seemed to have no issues.

Good luck!

bobmann
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

We use disqus for our website. But unfortunately it removes all comments with links because they suspect all links as spam. Sometime this is annoying. But most of the time they are correct that’s why still using it.

lifeadventure
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

My friend uses Disqus for his blog, says he’s completely fine with it, althoug sometimes there are links problems, just as bobmann mentioned. It’s up to you to decide, for me it would be a plus, because nobody wants spammers on their blog.

JessicaJones
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    richardsmith, post: 236617, member: 72676 wrote:
    Hi guys,

To me, Disqus looks a lot nicer than BBpress, but I’ve been told you lose ownership of your data and it might not be as good for SEO. Is this true?

I’ve also looked at Discourse and Muut, but am not sure whether these will be too complicated to set up. Any other plugins worth considering for commenting and forums on a WordPress site?

Thanks,
    Rich

Disqus has worked closely with search engines, including Google, to ensure Disqus is crawlable, though ultimately, indexing is out of Disqus’ hands.

Andrew17
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    richardsmith, post: 236617, member: 72676 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Thanks,
    Rich

Disqus is great since it is multiplatform. It’s a huge community too.

pmullen
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

They’re quite different platforms aren’t they? bbPress is a forum plugin (like what you’re seeing here). Disqus is a commenting plugin, what you would see at the end of a blog post for example.

I don’t see them as comparable. Are you after a forum plugin or just a simple commenting plugin?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.