Home Forums Starting your journey Is it dangerous to sell this item.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Metal Cutter
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

[ATTACH=full]1717[/ATTACH]

Hi,
    I’ve been trying to get my 14 year old boy off the computer and interested in making some money for a while, and finally he’s taking some interest (I’m offering him all the profit after costs to whet his appetite). So we just got this finished yesterday and now we have to look into selling it.

However, a nasty thought occurred to me. It’s got metal teeth and claws, so what if a toddler decided to stick it’s hand in the mouth, etc and managed to pull the whole thing over, and hurt their hand or finger in the process. It’s just free standing so it won’t take much to pull over.
    It’s liability I’m talking about here. There won’t be much for us to celebrate if my boy gets his very first business income and then we have someone filing a lawsuit against me.

I’ve seen much worse garden sculptures for sale made of steel, with spiky points facing upwards. God forbid if someone fell on one of those, they’d simply be skewered.

Any thoughts ?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,565
    Up

Hi [USER=83149]@Metal Cutter[/USER],

Love the sculpture and the initiative with your son.
    I’m no expert in this area, but I’d be thinking about:
    1) Appropriate warnings and safety instructions.
    2) Product liability insurance. Likely a good idea, but tricky for hobby business given the cost could wipe out the profit on your first 10 sales. Maybe someone else can advise.
    3) Consider mounts or fixings or a display case to make it safer. The right display case might even allow you to fetch a more premium price.
    4) Consider blunter teeth and claws.

Keep us posted!
    Dave

Metal Cutter
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Thanks for the advise Dave.

Yes, definitely wouldn’t hurt to blunt those claws and teeth a little.

Keith

Danielroberts
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Not at all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MattH753
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I think if you accurately describe it you’ll be fine.Looks great, my kids had the slightly smaller wood version :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.