Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Is it just me or can you see them too?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    ::

I reckon just about every time I visit a Member’s website that’s been mentioned in a post I find at least one ‘typo’ on their home page and more if I look further. And some of these’ typos’ can change the whole context and meaning of a sentence. ‘Steal’ vis. a vis. ‘steel’ for example.

The real problem is in knowing what to do when I find them? I mean, it’s not like these folk have requested a site review or anything. And I’m sure they would rather know about them but I don’t want to embarrass anyone in the process.

Interestingly, I’m not so good at spotting my own typos, but other people’s typos seem to just leap off the page. Is it just me? Cursed? Or gifted maybe? Professional ‘Typo Spotter’?

Anyway, what do you think? Is it better to say nothing or to point out Member’s (or is it Members’) website ‘typos’ on the forums?

Happy proof reading,

Lindsay

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

We’re too close to the copy, which is why we don’t see it. That’s why it’s always a good idea to get someone else to proof read over it (so says the woman who doesn’t as much as she should!)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Lindsay (aka proof reader)

If it was me, I wouldn’t be offended if you told me.. Problem is you may not have enough time to identify ALL my issues :)

It is difficult though.. I have provided some pm’s to some re this.. And it’s better than some posters that reply with “oh there are a few type on your site you may want to fix” and don’t explain.. Although I think they were in the business of editing etc.. Lol

And as Scarlett and yourself identified it’s quite easy to overlook ones own editorials as we are too close to the subject matter and also ‘think’ we have done it correctly in the first instance!

Nice post, once again.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

I wouldn’t be offended if you told me! We’re so close to our work, and quite often work on our own websites is done very late at night or in the unheard of hours in the early morning. I will blame my tired eyes for any mistakes on the current site 😮 and promptly fix them if caught out :)

I can see how some people might be offended though. But I think after the initial shock that you went to the effort to tell them, they’d appreciate having the heads up!

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

would not be offended in the slightest…happy for the heads up if anything.
    :)

Lindz
    Up

Oh Oh Craig,

Quick look at your Home Page- Web Design- “stand out ‘form’ the crowd”.

That aside, I really like the very personal approach you’ve taken on your website.;)

All the best with it,

Lindsay

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up
    Lindz, post: 189893 wrote:
    Oh Oh Craig,

Quick look at your Home Page- Web Design- “stand out ‘form’ the crowd”.

That aside, I really like the very personal approach you’ve taken on your website.;)

All the best with it,

Lindsay

LOL…thanks!!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Too close, says it all.

After 40 years in construction, I realised recently that I’d spelt it “constuction” twice in two sentences amid what was only a couple of paragraphs of copy.

That same copy had been getting edited, and the page tested for several days …

I write static HTML in a text editor, so there’s no spellchecker running. After reading this post it occurred to me I should dump the finished rendered copy into a word processor as a first pass, and see what I get in the way of spelling errors.

It’s not just spelling either, I’ve had a pro go over site copy that I thought was ok … wrong. I got quite a list came back of things that needed fixing.

I’m happy if someone let’s me know if I’ve screwed up the spelling, or anything else for that matter.

Lindz
    Up

Many years ago I had a sign writer paint the doors on my home renovations business car.

As he stood back to admire the finished work, I had tell him the bad news that it was ‘Extensions’ and not ‘Extentions’. 😮

Fortunately, the paint was still wet.:D

Lindsay

GO Creative
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I’m “cursed with the same gift” of spotting typos. I don’t think I’ve ever read through a menu at a restaurant without picking up at least one mistake. At a quick glance of a full page of text, I can point out wherever two spaces have been used instead of one. It drives me crazy always picking up these things, but attention to detail has its benefits.

Personally, I wouldn’t be offended at all if someone spotted a typo on copy that I had written or approved etc. But having pointed these things out to people myself, I can’t say that everyone is so welcoming of the constructive criticism.

As a result, I tend to avoid pointing it out unless it’s one of my own clients, in which case it’s my responsibility to do so.

gidgetmedia
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

As a copywriter, editor and proofreader, I can’t help but see typos everywhere I go. I feel it’s my responsibility to tell people, as surely they’d rather know so they can fix it asap.

GO Creative
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    gidgetmedia, post: 190123 wrote:
    as a copywriter, editor and proofreader, i can’t help but see typos everywhere i go. I feel it’s my responsibility to tell people, as surely they’d rather know so they can fix it asap.
    I was about to correct you on the “asap” being lowercase, but now I see that this forum automatically converts all-uppercase words to lowercase. :)
    The Rogue Counsellor
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

This is no ‘curse’ Lindsay and GO Creative, it’s a gift :)

And I’ll be messaging you both when I finally launch my website to beg you to pass those typo-spotting eyes over it for me. Picking up errors in your own work is so hard to do. I’m amazed that you can see inconsistenices in spacing too GO Creative, extra gold starts for that talent!

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

CheckDog periodically crawls your site looking for spelling / grammar mistakes and sends you a summary.

Problem solved :)

Lindz
    Up
    martin.firth, post: 190311 wrote:
    CheckDog periodically crawls your site looking for spelling / grammar mistakes and sends you a summary.

Problem solved :)

Well there goes my career as a Professional ‘Typo Spotter’.:D

All best,

Lindsay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.