Home – New Forums Starting your journey Is it possible to register and work as a business in an apartment complex?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AdrianM
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi there members of the Flying Solo community.

First time post on here.

Does anyone know if there is a way around registering a business at a rental property in an apartment complex who’s Body Corporate rules prohibit such a thing?

I am currently renting a place (have been for last 2 years) and have decided to make the leap (lets say dip my toe at this point) into starting my own business. I have registered my ABN and business name, but did all of this without realising I had an obligation to notify my Real Estate agent and that there were Body Corporate rules which wouldn’t allow this. I have yet to commence the physical act of anything business related, so was wanting to know if there is anyway I can get around this without having to pack up everything and find a new place.

My business will be an eCommerce store selling children’s toys and the rental property will only be used to store the stock and for me to pack the orders. There will be no customers or other contractors coming to the property.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Adrian,
    Welcome to Flying Solo and thanks a lot for joining :)
    Congratulations on making the leap (or toe dip at least!) and all the best with the business.

Interesting question this one. I’m not sure what the rules are around the address under which a business is registered v an operating address??

Unfortunately it’s not one I’ve come across this sort of requirement myself, but hopefully some of the legal types can shed some light on this.

Hopefully there a way to make it all work.

Cheers
    Peter

CoolFlyers
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Adrian,

I think to start it would be a Body Corporate issue. Then the council.

I had a friend who closed her Nutritionist business to operate from home which was a town house in a small complex only to find the body corporate were not pleased and issued a letter for her to cease trading.

I can’t remember specifically what was in their rules but do check.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.