Home – New Forums Other discussions Is leadership important?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LauraFisher
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    ::

Do you think the traits of leadership are important when you’re a micro business person?
    If yes, do you do anything to actively develop your leadership skills?

gingerbeardhs
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Hi Laura,

I think Leadership and Business go hand in hand. More-so with small business. There are a couple of reasons why I think this:

1. A good leader inspires confidence. In my line of work for example, I make my client confident that they are getting great value, they are getting the outcome they want and choosing me was the best option. If (when) I get others involved, I have to inspire the same in them – the confidence that they are working for a great employer, that they can do great work, that I am finding them great jobs that they enjoy and working for me is better than going it alone. Inspiring confidence goes a long way.

2. A leader has to make decisions and solve problems. This is one thing that I have recently come to notice about leadership. As a small business owner, the buck stops with me. I can’t go to a supervisor when I run into a problem because I am them! I had an example of this today actually repairing a washing machine:

It was a fairly old machine where the drain pump had broken down. Pretty standard sofar, so I called my part supplier to see if there was a compatible pump available (very old machines are hard to find parts for). It turned out there was. I picked the part up and I arrived to the client’s house to complete the repair.

First problem – how to get the water out of the washing machine? This was easily solved by using the drain hose as a siphon out to the back yard.

Second (and a little harder) problem – the newer pump is shorter and an interlinking hose doesn’t reach if the new pump is installed in the original position. This has now become a non-standard repair. I’m left now to devise a way to make the new pump fit so that it works well and fixes the washing machine. Using a little creativity, I was able to re-terminate the electrical connections and installed the pump so that the washing machine was functional again.

When you have someone working above you, you tend to immediately rely on their skill to get out of a sticky situation. When it’s left to you, you find you draw on resources that you wouldn’t ordinarily use.

In terms of actively developing these skills, from my personal experience, it comes to realising that you are the one people are relying on, accepting that and turning it to your advantage.

Hunter Sinclair
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Being self directed, inspiring and motivating is very important yes. Even if the only person you are leading is you.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Leadership is the first creation, management is the second.
    Management asks how to get things done, faster, better, and more efficiently.
    Leadership stands above these conciderations asking
    What is it that we need to accomplish

ivyworld
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I think that is more trial approach finding the way how to develop the leadership skills. I am reading and watching about it during the last months.
    My first step: I am trying to be less shy and not be afraid to ask questions. Also, to see the past as experience and do not blame myself that I did something in the wrong way.
    Recently I watched this speech which made me think more about my skills. [MEDIA=youtube]NVPxmz_PvUw[/MEDIA]

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Burgo, post: 245701, member: 58 wrote:
    Leadership is the first creation, management is the second.
    Management asks how to get things done, faster, better, and more efficiently.
    Leadership stands above these conciderations asking
    What is it that we need to accomplish
    And paints a picture for team around what does success look like for the team and for me individually? And what sort of behaviours are valued.
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

to answer the name of the thread, yes of course, I would more be wondering why anyone would think it wouldn’t be.

Ale
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Leadership is key when following others. As a small business owner, you end up doing everything, negotiating, attracting customers, doing the hard work and managing a team. If you don’t understand what are your strengths and weaknesses you will struggle leading others. That’s the first step! self-awareness is crucial. I’ve been working with my mentor Adrian Fadini on that in the last couple of months. Highly recommended Trained Group.

Innofy IP
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi all,

Check out Stephen Scott Johnson, who is one of Australia’s leadership gurus. I was fortunate enough to attend a workshop with Stephen only last week – and I can assure you that you will find value from his philosophy and practices no matter what size your business is.

Other worthwhile leadership scholars worthy of checking out include Adam Grant, Peter Thiel, Simon Sinek, Viktor Frankl, James Sinegal. I’m really passionate about this topic – let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to discuss!

peerless463
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

In my experience, leadership is the single most important thing in any business, whether you have 1 employee or 1000. Even a sole trader will not properly succeed without some form of self-leadership and vision in what they are doing.

No successful business has poor leadership. Much the same way that no well rounded and family has poor leadership.

Without someone to stand up and follow, your employees will get bored, restless, and become unsatisfied in their jobs. It is important to have good leaders in place to promote career advancement, and provide workplace role models. This all results in higher job satisfaction rates, which equals better productivity, and less employee turnover.

There is a balance though… leaders must lead by example, not only by instruction. They must believe in what they are doing, expect the best from their team and be willing to put their foot down when expectations are not being met. Equally it is important to not take their job too seriously and take the time to have a laugh and connect with their workers.
    Not everyone is cut out to be a leader, and they should always be chosen very carefully. Leadership is however, something that can be developed in most people if they are willing.

All of this said…
    Years ago, prior to starting my own business, the best thing I ever did was to work for a business for 5 years that had great leaders, the best way is to learn by observation, and much of this experience has stayed with me. This may not be a suitable solution for you, but do take time to see it in action elsewhere.

Yes, reading books has been quite helpful too. I have also been to a few leadership seminars over the years. It all makes a difference. Start reading books by people like Jim Rohn. He had some very good philosophies for this kind of stuff. Despite the fact that he was largely a salesman, his leadership skills within his own company were unquestionable.

At the end of the day you simply have to practice what you preach, and be the person that you want those around you to aspire to being. Even as a micro-business, the same concepts apply. If you believe in what you do and who you are, your customers will too.

kathalva
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I agree with most of the members here, leadership is the most important element for any business, that’s what the customers and employees look up to. It is also important to learn how to become an effective self-leader for those who do not have access to a personal guide or mentor.

starboy
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I always like to lead by example. I never like to shout or get mad at someone. I’ll also be calm and explain where they want wrong. A good leader needs to be respected, not feared.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.