Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Is Our Website Easy to Use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Cody
    • Total posts: 117
    Up
    ::

We’ve just switched over from choppy old WordPress to the calm waters of Shopify and would appreciate some feedback.

Imagine you are the owner of a business or high-up in the ladder of a digital marketing agency. You have just been given a free article from some guy called Cody who claims he is from The Copywriters. Knowing full well that the article is suppose to get you to check out their website; you do just that. http://www.thecopywriters.com.au/

1) Is the website clear on what The Copywriters do?

2) Is it easy to navigate?

Thanks so much Flying Solo-ers,

Cody

Corporate escapee
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I’m going to be brutally honest because I think it will be helpful.

Your site looks really slick, but it isn’t a great showcase for your skills. Too much of the copy is sloppy. I have no problem with the casual style – that actually works well – but some of the writing appears amateurish.

Examples of poor copy…

“We are a bunch of close-knit Australian copywriters who are well and truly qualified to deliver your copy.” I think you mean “close-knit bunch”, but even then the “close-knit” is redundant as a bunch is close-knit by definition.

“We work best in our own environments, hence why we are able to work from any café, apartment, co-working space or home in the world.” “Hence” is ugly and formal and doesn’t work with your casual style of writing. And “Hence why” is just awful. This sentence also has a logic problem: you couldn’t work from any home in the world – some of them have bombs falling on them.

If I were you, I’d pay an experienced copy editor to review your site. The best copy writers in the world still need editors.

On a more positive note, your prices are very reasonable and you obviously understand content/helpful marketing so I’m sure you’ll do well. And yes, the site is easy to navigate and it’s clear what you do.

Cody
    Up
    Corporate escapee, post: 228761, member: 64428 wrote:
    I’m going to be brutally honest because I think it will be helpful.

That’s what this part of the forum is for. Thanks very for your feedback.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

The marketers say that you have 7.26 seconds to sell your product or people move onto the next site. Yours doesn’t tell me anything much in that 7.26 seconds, accept that you need to hire a copy writer, one example that jumps out at me – ”LET’S GET TO KNOW EACHOTHER”

Like a website builder, their website has to be 110% perfect, that is their advertisement to the world.

If you cant get your copy right, why would I hire you, I as your client I shouldn’t have to be checking that you have done a good job for me.

Cody
    Up

Thanks for the reply Bert.

It’s good to hear feedback from someone who is detached from the business.

We certainly have some improvements to make.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Hey mate, do you guys ever consider partnerships?

Cody
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 228819, member: 39536 wrote:
    Hey mate, do you guys ever consider partnerships?
    Just sent you a message [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER]
    Karen Francis
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hey Cody,

it’s a beautiful design, but again to showcase your skills… not so much.

If you are copywriters, there really should be at least some examples of copy on the front page. Even going to the specific content page doesn’t showcase your abilities.

From an SEO point of view.. how does Google know what your company does? Amongst the thousands of websites that do what you do, how are you going to stand out to a robot that reads words? I’d suggest putting your content into white space at the bottom, in either tabs or accordions to pacify the robots, and keep a clean look for your users.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Cody,
    Sorry to be so blunt. Hope this helps.

I’m with Karen, how can you sell your copywriting skills when you give us no examples of your work?

Your website is mostly pictures. Many people will interpret this as a poor reflection on your capabilities.

A good web copywriter should set viewer objectives for every page of copy they write. With a long Home page like yours, the first objective should be to encourage the visitor to scroll down the page. I don’t see “We write copy for humans” achieving this. It does not make sense, what other species reads? That heading lost this viewer.

Then I went to “What we do“. A copywriter should know that text which is all in capitals, centred and implemented in about 6 different font sizes and colours is very hard to read. Then there is the obscurity of the page’s important information. The bullet list of your services is at the bottom of the page. I suggest few will bother scrolling for it. A skilled web copywritier hits the visitor with the key info above the fold then encourages them to view more details below the fold or on other pages.

This should be your most important site page which lets people select the type of copywriting service they want and which gives them more detailed info about it/them.

I’d suggest you revise your list of “You want people to”…

You should find that most potential customers overwhelmingly want copy that increases sales, sales leads and business enquiries. These do not rate a mention.

What you do say is:

“Stay on your website
    Share your Facebook posts
    Comment on your LinkedIn articles
    Trust your business”

You need stronger marketing purposes behind the objectives you believe potential clients want.

If you are going to “talk the talk”, you need to be able to “walk the walk”.

Where are the links to your Facebook and LinkedIn pages so we can see your own examples?

I looked up three of the site copywriters on LinkedIn and I think they only had three endorsements for copywriting between them. We all have to start somewhere but if you have so little history, you need to find other tactics to establish your capabilities.

Maybe write articles about:

• What is good marketing copywriting?
    • How to assess web page copy?
    • What’s in an effective social media plan?
    • Copywriting tactics that can improve client’s attention, comprehension, retention and conversion

PS I would immediately kill this line from your LinkedIn profile, “I am a copywriter. Do I love what I do? I don’t know – maybe.”

If you can’t be enthousiastic about your profession, I suggest no one will want your services.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cody
    Up
    Karen Francis, post: 230319, member: 72549 wrote:
    Hey Cody,

it’s a beautiful design, but again to showcase your skills… not so much.

If you are copywriters, there really should be at least some examples of copy on the front page. Even going to the specific content page doesn’t showcase your abilities.

From an SEO point of view.. how does Google know what your company does? Amongst the thousands of websites that do what you do, how are you going to stand out to a robot that reads words? I’d suggest putting your content into white space at the bottom, in either tabs or accordions to pacify the robots, and keep a clean look for your users.

Thanks for the reply Karen. I agree with you – we definitely need to spend some time collating some of our best examples and putting them on the website for people to see.

To be honest, I’m not too concerned about SEO. I’d rather optimise for design and user experience than for showing up in Google.

Cody
    Up
    JohnW, post: 230346, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi Cody,
    Sorry to be so blunt. Hope this helps.

John, thank you for the incredibly in-depth reply. I’ve dedicated a large chunk of time early next week to implement some changes.

Karen Francis
    • Total posts: 67
    Up
    Cody, post: 230372, member: 55612 wrote:
    To be honest, I’m not too concerned about SEO. I’d rather optimise for design and user experience than for showing up in Google.

With your focus being “copy for humans” I understand you saying that :)
    It all depends on what your site is being used for – a brochure, a lead magnet, a source of referrals – etc. Does it matter if it shows organically in Google search? If you are getting your business elsewhere then no it really doesn’t ;)

I’ll check in again on your site when you’ve had a chance to do more with it – I know the pressure of trying to make your own site amazing while working on client work. Good luck!

Cody
    Up
    Karen Francis, post: 230424, member: 72549 wrote:
    I’ll check in again on your site when you’ve had a chance to do more with it – I know the pressure of trying to make your own site amazing while working on client work. Good luck!

Yep that certainly is the struggle. Not to mention my lack of ability to focus on building one business at a time!

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

I think you’ve got some great advice already, I particularly enjoyed John’s response and his line about “I would immediately kill this line from your LinkedIn profile, I am a copywriter. Do I love what I do? I don’t know – maybe.”

I couldn’t agree more.

For me personally it’s just far too busy. Too many images, too many things popping out of me but none are for your call to action.

The first button on the home page goes to a 404 page – https://www.thecopywriters.com.au/pages/about-us-2

Everything seems to be black and white on the copy shop page and there aren’t any coloured buttons for add to cart until you get to the actual single product page.

I think alot of business owners get lost on the glamorous side of web sites and especially lead magnets and free blogging courses. Realistically for a new website, with little content, I would expect the conversions on signups to be very low yet you’re giving it so much priority on your site.

To click buttons like marketing / web design and then be sent to you store doesn’t make sense to me. I think what I’d prefer to see is more about what I’m getting, who have you written for so far, what’s an example of the articles you’ve written et etc.

All the best with it, hope this helps.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Run Crazy Egg over the top and determine what’s useful and what needs to go. Make decisions based upon data, not what people tell you in a forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.