Home – New Forums Find the help you need Is speech to text technology out there?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alex Honey: Int Design
    • Total posts: 151
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I could really use some speech to text technology in my business and have searched around to see is such a thing exists but it appears not.

Does anyone do this, use this or know anything that could help me?

Any input gladly received

:D

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I have no experience with it, but Dragon Naturally Speaking has improved substantially over the years. From what I’ve heard it’s quite good.

Cobalt
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

HI!

Dragon Naturally Speaking (or DNS) is a good product that has been improving over the years. HOwever, to get the most from it, you will need to buy the professional version. At around $730.00 it is on the expensive side, and Nuance (the company that develops and sells DNS) does not offer a trial. I used DNS a few years ago and found it quite good, but it did take a lot of training (of the software, not you) for it to be fluent. One thing I like about DNS is that it can transcribe recordings made on a digital voice recorder (specific brands/models are supported). I didn’t have much application for it back then, but now that I do, I am looking around again.

Since I’m back in the market, I have looked around at a few of the other offerings, but found that they aren’t very good. Personally, I’ll be buying DNS in the next few weeks. I have been using a wireless headset and find the freedom it gives me (I write much better when I’m wandering around) a great asset – however the quality isn’t great (so I will probably need ot buy a better headset).

If you want to try speech recognition and you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can enable it’s built-in voice recognotion through the control panel. This will let you experience basic VR without the cost.

Do be aware that VR akes some committment though; you need to train your VR application to recognise your voice (accent, pitch, tone, rate, etc…), and you will need to learn to control your computer through some special voice commands.

All in all, VR is great if you do a lot of writing, or if you can’t interface with a computer via a keyboard/mouse. A client of mine started using VR over a decade ago and actually increased his profits! By using the time he spent in the car driving around the state, to dictate notes and letters, he was able to convert that “dead time” into chargeable hours (note: he has a driver – driving and dictating is as bad/if not worse than driving and talking on a mobile phone – I definately do not recommend doing that).

I hope this helps.

Paul

Up

Hi Paul

Thanks so much for your through comments…its really appreciated. I had looked at the DNS however the cost is prohibative in relation to (as yet untested) anticipated use and charge out rates for our service using it.

I was good to get some first hand feed back from an actual user though and I’ll keep it on file in the event that we get increased demand.

I think initially Im going to opt for a simple voice recording and see if I can find an effeciant and economical typing service to whom I can email the recording.

Thanks again :)

Cobalt, post: 73253 wrote:
    HI!

Dragon Naturally Speaking (or DNS) is a good product that has been improving over the years. HOwever, to get the most from it, you will need to buy the professional version. At around $730.00 it is on the expensive side, and Nuance (the company that develops and sells DNS) does not offer a trial. I used DNS a few years ago and found it quite good, but it did take a lot of training (of the software, not you) for it to be fluent. One thing I like about DNS is that it can transcribe recordings made on a digital voice recorder (specific brands/models are supported). I didn’t have much application for it back then, but now that I do, I am looking around again.

Since I’m back in the market, I have looked around at a few of the other offerings, but found that they aren’t very good. Personally, I’ll be buying DNS in the next few weeks. I have been using a wireless headset and find the freedom it gives me (I write much better when I’m wandering around) a great asset – however the quality isn’t great (so I will probably need ot buy a better headset).

If you want to try speech recognition and you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can enable it’s built-in voice recognotion through the control panel. This will let you experience basic VR without the cost.

Do be aware that VR akes some committment though; you need to train your VR application to recognise your voice (accent, pitch, tone, rate, etc…), and you will need to learn to control your computer through some special voice commands.

All in all, VR is great if you do a lot of writing, or if you can’t interface with a computer via a keyboard/mouse. A client of mine started using VR over a decade ago and actually increased his profits! By using the time he spent in the car driving around the state, to dictate notes and letters, he was able to convert that “dead time” into chargeable hours (note: he has a driver – driving and dictating is as bad/if not worse than driving and talking on a mobile phone – I definately do not recommend doing that).

I hope this helps.

Paul

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I don’t know if Bridie does transcription, but I’ve heard good things about The Transcription Service. They have very high standards and my skills, although very good, are not high enough for them.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    Alex Honey: Int Design, post: 73331 wrote:
    I think initially Im going to opt for a simple voice recording and see if I can find an effeciant and economical typing service to whom I can email the recording.

Thanks again :)

If you have an iPhone you can download Pocket Dictate – it’s a free app and produces good quality results.

I wrote a blog post earlier in the year about dictation options which may be useful and I’d be happy to discuss transcription with you. :)

Up

Hi Bridie
    Thanks for the iphone app tip. That’s that part done.

Thank you!

Alex:)

bridiej, post: 73350 wrote:
    If you have an iPhone you can download Pocket Dictate – it’s a free app and produces good quality results.

I wrote a blog post earlier in the year about dictation options which may be useful and I’d be happy to discuss transcription with you. :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Probably won’t help you out for your needs but Google Chrome just added this technology to their browser (Chrome 11)…. so now you can tell it what to put into form fields etc haha

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Text to speech is built into windows 7 if you have that.

My experience with both Dragon Dictate (an old version going back 2005 or so) and window 7 is that it’s quicker to type :) I did find the training onerous though and possibly did not put the time into it that I needed to. I did find a high grade headphone/mic made considerable difference.

Up

Hi
    Thanks for that…So far I think Im going to go with voice recording on my iphone and then email it to an inexpensive typing service.

Im going to give it a try and see how it works…stand by1

Thanks for your imput

Cheers

JohnSheppard, post: 74168 wrote:
    Text to speech is built into windows 7 if you have that.

My experience with both Dragon Dictate (an old version going back 2005 or so) and window 7 is that it’s quicker to type :) I did find the training onerous though and possibly did not put the time into it that I needed to. I did find a high grade headphone/mic made considerable difference.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.