Home – New Forums Tech talk Is this a good deal? help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    QSteel
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I’ve read some stuff that says that sponsoring charities is good for SEO.

Then I noticed that these guys are have a PR5 website and are offering sponsorship packages. I’m very confused about pagerank, some people say it matters and some people say it doesn’t! Everything you read about SEO contradicts everything else, it’s a wonder anybody ranks for anything ever!

http://chronicillness.org.au/index.php/sponsor-us

Is this the sort of thing I should be doing?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy QSTEEL {would insert name here although uncertain of what it is}

Although i am not an SEO expert or knowledgeable i can NOT UNDERSTAND how sponsoring a charity would increase your SEO! what relevance is there?

And not sure what relevance that link is other than to get us to look at a donation page? there is no mention of SEO other than placement on their web sites with link backs to you. Would this increase your SEO, maybe and maybe not.. guess in the overall scheme of things it might, but also paying that sort of money (instead of charity) to someone here who manages SEO may actually increase your traffic and opportunities more?

If you need people to find your website for your business to flourish, pagerank could be relevant.. if you merely use your web site as promotional material to existing clients, it may not..

Cant wait for some SEO gurus to jump on..

Also, as this is your first post may pay to jump across to the introduce yourself page and let us know a little about you.. We, FS regulars, love to get to know you and try and help if we can (collectively) and the more we know the more informed the relies can be..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Abinstock
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

A paid banner link (Which is what they’re offering) is not a good idea. Also another thing to keep in mind is, the more times a particular page links out- the less valuable (and possibly spammy) the link. This makes the PR factor irrelevant.

Another thing to consider is whether a link on this site is going to bring potential customers to your webpage? If that is the case, It may be a good idea but to get them to make it a ‘no follow’ link.

Hope that helps,
    Adam

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Sponsoring charities is good for helping people.

It has nothing to do with SEO.

Page rank is almost irrelevant. Forget about it.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

As John R infers…

A PageRank number as an SEO factor has always been irrelevant.

The number was useful as a broad guide to help SEOs evaluate certain website parameters. Without a brain behind the assessment, PR numbers are as useful as a glass door on a dunny!

Can I be more specific?

Avoid anyone who says a high PR number is important. IMHO, this suggests they have little knowledge of SEO.

There are a bunch of SEOs on FS who know what they are talking about. Any SEO pretenders get hammered and usually go away with their tails between their legs.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

QSteel,

Your only focus should be, how your services, products and the presentation of your website ranks with your new and existing customer base. Sponsoring is a great idea to get some exposure, but don’t do it for the sole purpose of ranking.

Page Rank was probably the worst idea conjured-up, and the main cause of the spammy link-building debacle.

Focus on building your brand name, be honest and give your customers a great experience they wont forget too easily.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.