Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Is Twitter Dead?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

Over past couple of days I have been “repairing” my Twitter account i.e. balancing out my following v following and generally giving it a spring clean.

While in the process of doing this, I got to thinking does Twitter still offer some real value to leverage off to promote a Brand or to lift new venture?

If so, how are you using Twitter to promote your business with what results?

Paul Cunningham
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Hi Steven

I found this article in Nett magazine today incase youre interested that discusses this very topic

I dont use Twitter but will be watching this thread with interest. I am a little perplexed about how this particular social networking tool is supposed to get you business. However, I know people who’s judgement I trust who swear by it and “tweet” regularly.

redford
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Arguement for Twitter:

In January 2010, nearly 75,000,000 visited Twitter. Twitter’s growth last year was 1,100%. There are also some neat case studies where companies are really starting see some strong ROI from their Twitter Optimisation strategies. For example, Dell reported in 2009 that just from one tweet account it had made over $3Million between 07 – 09 through online and offline sales by using Twitter to post promotions, discounts and offers.

Twitter has been exploding all around the world, growing its user base and total produced content every month. Were you thinking about writing Twitter off in 2010?

I think that when business get’s its head around Twitter, like my nephew has – it will serioously revolutionize how we engage with our clients.

:)

R

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I just tweeted a sales page and have had a person sign up for the course…. That doesn’t always happen of course.

Mostly I use it for meeting people, and I tweet posts that I write as well. I’ve found it’s great for being exposed to people I wouldn’t connect with any other way. They check out my profile, come to my site via that, sign up for the newsletter, rss etc.

TheWebExpert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Does Twitter still offer the same value as it once did?

And did it / does it really add value to a business??

If you are organising an event, or have a bricks and mortar store, you should take a look at both Foursquare and Gowalla – these are the next hip sites, or online social networking “tools”.

They dont replace twitter, but they certainly present more of an opportunity for businesses to market and capture local markets. Not only capture, but also let customers/clients compete to be your best customers, etc.
    A really exciting concept – worth checking it out….

V

mtpocket
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

both looks interesting

NigelBurke
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Twitter can be leveraged as a marketing tool if done correctly. I have a Twitter account and often wondered about the benefits of it. I don’t read many tweets at all. I tweet when I write a new blog post or tweet about something interesting that I am reading. I do not tweet to friends or make deals through Twitter.

My purpose for Twitter is to broadcast ideas about e-commerce and internet marketing which is in line with my blog. I think of it as being part of my social media mix. Everytime I tweet about something, I seem to get more followers. The more followers I get, the more places my messages are going.

In the larger scale of things, I use it to brand myself and my business as being at the forefront of my industry.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I’m using twitter. Haven’t really done business there yet, but find it a useful place to connect and share.

I think there are many ways to use twitter, some more valid and some more profitable than others. Some people only tweet about their services, like they’re tweeting to themselves. Others tweet for their target market. Others tweet anything and just connect.

I don’t really know what I’m doing yet… probably a mix of the last two.

JayTurn
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

I think something pivotal most traditional marketers are missing is that the way business is done online is the same way it has always been done. Word of mouth business.

Offline businesses have always credited their success to word of mouth customers. This is how Twitter can be used and why traditional marketers just don’t seem to get it.

You don’t have to use every opportunity and avenue to promote your business services. On Twitter, the opportunity lies in getting in contact with people you cannot ordinarily access and instantly helping others find what they want.

When you first meet people you don’t hand them your business card saying “Hi I’m Jason I run this business here is my card”. It is a quick way for people to avoid you and your business. However after first meeting someone, you might ask them what they do for a living and they ask you the same.

Sometimes the opportunity to hand out business cards is there, other times it isn’t.

Twitter is about interacting with people regularly and when they follow you, they learn what you are about. Then they check out your website. Just as NigelBurke so perfectly put it.

The huge opportunity for business is there with Twitter but the way social media is moving, I am presuming many marketers will be needed less. Word of mouth business works by the owners/staff interacting with as many people as possible. Marketers can help out but most of it will be natural business.

The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

I have 2 twitter accounts.
    One of them was set up as an experiment, using commonly recommended twittering techniques of following those who follow you, following people in your target market, etc. It gets thousands of tweets per day, is impossible to follow, and is effectively useless.

The other one is run according to the basic principle that people will follow me if they find my posts interesting to them, but I won’t follow them back if what they post is not interesting to me.
    If you think about it, this is perfectly logical and natural.
    This account is really useful, and I have made many great contacts.

So – I think that Twitter is very much alive. If you use it sensibly.

cheers,
    Eric G.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I promoted a Facebook cause via twitter, and had over 2,000 clicks. (Remember to track your shrunken URL to see if people ever click on them). 97% of those were from the US.

So it worked for that, but I have found it pretty useless for most business in Australia.

I think it all depends on your market, and what you are promoting.

Cheers

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

Twitter is by no means dead, depends on your market and even easier if you target the other countries.

I’d tend to say twitter is dead in some industries but generally pretty easy in the “cool/fun” market such as advertising toys, bungy jumping and other crazy things

Pross
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Twitter is a novelty, it’s just waiting for someone to put it out of its misery. When they finally get around to properly monetising it, that just may do the trick.

It’s important to realise that just about any social networking concept (hello Facebook) you can think of will always have its marketing potential strictly limited to certain industries, and will have absolutely no utility outside those industries.

JayTurn
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

That is an interesting belief Pross.

Would you be suggesting that any interaction with friends outside your industry does not bring you any business? That someone who is not in your industry has never referred someone they know to your business?

A common pattern I see is people trying something and if it doesn’t provide results after 2 months of mediocre effort, it doesn’t work. The truth is, something like Twitter won’t provide benefits to anyone claiming “Try our full proof product” to strangers.

The most people I hear saying Twitter doesn’t work are marketers. I get on Twitter everyday and interact with people via DM’s and occasionally in the public domain. I monitor what people are mentioning web design, business etc. What I find is the very people who suggest they are “expert marketers” are in fact doing the very things that shouldn’t be done.

Big spam messages about helping people get noticed online and in social websites… without even attempting to personalize their message. Of course they won’t get results.

You want to find people on Twitter, search for “What”, “Where”, “When” and “How”. Help people solve problems and build relationships. They start following you on Twitter, they visit your site, they occasionally re-tweet your posts and if you are good at what you do, they will either use your services if needed or recommend you to someone else.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    JayTurn, post: 37388 wrote:
    Help people solve problems and build relationships. They start following you on Twitter, they visit your site, they occasionally re-tweet your posts and if you are good at what you do, they will either use your services if needed or recommend you to someone else.

BINGO! I use twitter for personal and professional reasons. It is NOT dead.

I think I’ve already said this in this thread or elsewhere however in my time of need… it was my Twitter community that came to my aid. Facebook … nope.

For me Twitter is about relationship building within and without my “industry”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.