Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Is weebly a good website builder?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    ::
    bb1, post: 245293, member: 53375 wrote:
    Why are we assuming Weebly may pack up their bags and call it quits, they have 40 million users, wouldn’t that make them a reasonable chance of wanting to stay in business.

Myspace had 76 million :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 245317, member: 39536 wrote:

Yep, 2 totally different products, 2 totally different funding models. Still unsure why you believe weebly may go down the tubes,

Any business can go down the tubes, are you now saying we need to do everything ourselves.

Put some substance behind your opinion.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 245317, member: 39536 wrote:

Myspace is still going.
    I even just found my old myspace page :)

troysteele
    • Total posts: 26
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 245291, member: 39536 wrote:
    I’m just amazed at some of the responses here regarding ownership.

Anyone building out a site, and investing their time effort, money and resources on a property that they can potentially lose overnight is crazy.

• But this happens with host providers as well – it’s happened to myself.
    • Or the host has a server failure and you lose everything – it’s happened to myself.
    • Or due to the person’s lack of security they got hacked and lose everything or worse. WordPress hacks are regular and very hard for a layman to fix. I’ve had to recover more people from WordPress hacks then losing their site hosted on providers like Weebly, Shopify, Bigcommerce, WordPress.com.

Unless it’s your hardware in the data centre then you’re relying on a 3rd party still. The risk is not backing up.

Setting up 301s isn’t hard at all if it comes to that. SEO impact can be minimal.

The original poster wanted a simple web builder because not everyone has a need, budget, or knowledge to get a site setup. That’s why these services are so popular and well maintained. In a lot of situations getting something up fast to move onto more important parts of the business take priority – a lot of people don’t get past the website stage because they become overwhelmed.

MikeTye
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I think that as a base, these website builders are great. Haven’t used Weebly personally but a few people I know do. They allow you to get going, rather than spending lots of time & money getting a website that is overkill.
    Down the track it may be an idea to invest and become more self dependant but imagine leasing a small shop space to start out Vs buying a 10,000sq ft warehouse.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.