Home – New Forums Tech talk IT help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am hoping to get a bit of free advice from the IT people on the forum. We have just moved offices, and am a bit unsure as to what I need to do to get connected! Here is the situation.

We have 2 computers and two printers, please wireless laptop. In our old office, we had just one phone line used for phone/adsl. We run a netgear modem/router, which we then connect by cable to our two printers and computers. Life was good :)

We are now in a much bigger premises, where the previous tenants had 4 phone lines, with an ISDN phone system, and various data points scattered throughout the office (over two levels).

The main phone points are on the top floor, whereas our printers are now located on the lower floor. We have reconnected 1 phone line (it is just me and the wife, so don’t need multiple lines at this point) and the internet is working.

What I cannot get my head around, is there are 4 lines at the telephone point, the one we have our phone line on, and then 3 others which are redundant, labelled 1,2 & 3. then around the top floor of the office, we have 3 dual points, each leballed with 1,2 or 3, and next to it, what I assume is a data point. Downstairs, is one single datapoint (no number).

When I connect an ethernet cable from my router into one of the numbered inlets, and then a cable from the corresponding point around the office, and into a computer, it gives us connection. But I don’t know how to get connection to the other non-numbered data points.

I am assuming that the previous tenants ran a server, but I don’t understand how that ran to the data points still. I don’t want to go all out on a server just now, and was wondering if there is something else I can do?

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks in advance

LifeIsABeach
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 123046 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am hoping to get a bit of free advice from the IT people on the forum. We have just moved offices, and am a bit unsure as to what I need to do to get connected! Here is the situation.

Thanks in advance

Suspect previous tenants were running a VOIP ATA device with several numbers.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

All the cabling is likely to be cat5e, if it was done in the last 10 years or so, which can be used for either data or phones. Generally, in a commercial premises, the cabling is done from a wall plate at the end point (in the offices), to either a wall plate or a distribution panel in a central location (the server room, or comms cupboard). These cables are dead – they don’t carry any traffic until something is plugged in to both ends.

What you need to do to get multiple computers running is:

1/ plug a computer into each of the end points you want to use
    2/ “patch” the other end of the cable into the router

Number 2 above can be achieved either directly – using a cat5 or cat6 patch lead from the wall point or distribution panel – to the router, or if you router doesn’t have enough free LAN ports on it you can buy a cheap switch.

If the cables aren’t numbered, then figuring out which is which is a bit tricky unless you have a cable tester and or sniffer. You can do it buy plugging a computer into one end and then patching the router into each of the cables until the corresponding light comes on at the router and or the ethernet port on the computer. A cheap cable tester can be had for less than $50, so that may be worthwhile.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Cheers,
    John

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Thanks for the advice guys. My problem is I cannot locate a comms box anywhere! All I have here is a Hybrex G1-824 telephone system ISDN box. Nothing to do with the data. I would have thought there had to be something else as well. There is another box, which seems to have CAT 5 cables running out of it, going to the data ports, but there are no inlet ports. I am thinking perhaps this is what the server would have been connected to. I have taken the cover off, and there are a series of different little wires, and a patch with numbers on from 1 through to 9.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 123114 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys. My problem is I cannot locate a comms box anywhere! All I have here is a Hybrex G1-824 telephone system ISDN box. Nothing to do with the data. I would have thought there had to be something else as well. There is another box, which seems to have CAT 5 cables running out of it, going to the data ports, but there are no inlet ports. I am thinking perhaps this is what the server would have been connected to. I have taken the cover off, and there are a series of different little wires, and a patch with numbers on from 1 through to 9.

Take a photo and either post here or send to me directly and I’ll see if I can tell you what it is.

The cables from the wall plates in each of the office areas do need to terminate somewhere, more than likely the box you describe above, and that is where you will need to patch to your router (or server or VOIP PABX).

Cheers,
    John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.