Home – New Forums Starting your journey I’ve launched a new not for profit website project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel82
    • Total posts: 69
    Up
    ::

Hi Soloists :) I’m a bit of a regular on here, i’ve even done a spotlight interview, so I thought i’d come here to let you know about a new project I’ve just launched called ThinkSmall.

Here’s the website.

I am a graphic/web designer by trade and have never attempted any kind of not for profit projects before so this is quite new to me.

ThinkSmall is a community of people who can list things they no longer need (food, furniture, bedding, anything) and others who are in need can easily search for and receive the items. It’s basically Gumtree but only for free items (donated items).

Please have a look at the site and share it any way you can, as this project won’t work unless it has enough users to keep ticking over (if no items are available, people will stop searching etc). I encourage you all to consider listing any items around your house that you think would be of more use to someone else than to you. And of course if there’s anything you need, feel free to search or post a “wanted” ad.

There’s a bit more to it though, I have also created a section of the site called SmallMarket that is a kind of directory for local markets, market stalls, organic produce growers, charities and anything else that could benefit the local community.

The goal of ThinkSmall is to create a new way of thinking, that everything we need is right here (living in the luckiest country in the world). 12% of our population still lives in poverty yet we discard perfectly good items and food on a daily basis.

Anyone who is interested in this, I encourage you to help me get the message across. You can just share the site, share the articles, write articles etc – any help is appreciated!

Please take a look around the site, any feedback is welcome.

Thanks for reading – I’ll update everyone after a month or so, to let you know the project works well, and get your tips on how to improve it.

And before anyone mentions it – yes I am familiar with Freecycle :) However, the exchange of free items is only one part of ThinkSmall, the rest is centred around living more efficiently within our community and making good use of what we have on offer.

Cheers,
    Daniel Abela

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Cool, nice job on the design. Best of luck with it!

Couple of things spring to mind immediately.

1. Auto add items from the freecycle list as they are posted. You’d be best getting their OK for this, but as a non-profit, I don’t imagine they would be against sharing information.

2. Use geolocation to show, on the homepage, the newest X listings close to a user.

3. Ability for users to set alerts for when certain types of items get listed.

I’ll try to have a more thorough look later, but just want to say, you’re off to a great start!

Cheers

Daniel82
    Up

Hi, nice suggestions, I will look into all those features. I am currently trying to contact other businesses who accept donated items, seeing if they want to use our site as a kind of online presence. Regular users are the way to go.

Thanks
    Daniel

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Hi, it’s not clear what the website is for or what think small is for. In your post you took the time to write a sentence that explained what think small is, but I only saw that after I had already visited your website. You need that defining statement on your website and it should be the first thing anyone sees! – Nice graphics. – Phil.

Daniel82
    Up

Fair point… thanks. I have a few pages on the site explaining it but I guess i should have something on the home page that also sums it up. I will add that today :) Question though, did you not notice the big “what on earth is thinksmall” box on the home page?

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    Daniel82, post: 127325 wrote:
    Fair point… thanks. I have a few pages on the site explaining it but I guess i should have something on the home page that also sums it up. I will add that today :) Question though, did you not notice the big “what on earth is thinksmall” box on the home page?

I did, but call to actions only work once the visitor is engaged. Because I was left wondering what it was all about I wasn’t engaged yet.

Daniel82
    Up

I have now added a short intro to the site, if you want to have a look and let me know if that would’ve helped on first inspection :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Nice looking site and cool concept. I do have to ask though, what’s stopping pawnbrokers / market stall sellers from loading up from sites like these!?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.