Home Forums Money matters Job Keeper is taxable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

Just a note or a reminder that Job Keeper is an assessable income, so don’t go and spend the whole lot as we are being encouraged to, or you could be in for a nasty surprise.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Newsroom/smallbusiness/Lodging-and-paying/Have-you-received-a-government-payment-or-grant-/?sbnews20200819

JamesMillar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,675
    bb1, post: 270640, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just a note or a reminder that Job Keeper is an assessable income, so don’t go and spend the whole lot as we are being encouraged to, or you could be in for a nasty surprise.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Newsroom/smallbusiness/Lodging-and-paying/Have-you-received-a-government-payment-or-grant-/?sbnews20200819

That’s a good reminder Bert. No doubt many will forget but unfortunately the ATO won’t. Not exactly hard from them to audit given the payments came from their system.

jayen
    • Total posts: 23
    bb1, post: 270640, member: 53375 wrote:
    don’t go and spend the whole lot

If I spend it on business stuff, then the expenditure is tax deductible, right?

I live-chatted the ATO the other day (thanks ATO for SBA) and the person I chatted to expected JobKeeper to appear automatically in MyTax. That would have been nice!

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117
    jayen, post: 270721, member: 54988 wrote:
    If I spend it on business stuff, then the expenditure is tax deductible, right?

I live-chatted the ATO the other day (thanks ATO for SBA) and the person I chatted to expected JobKeeper to appear automatically in MyTax. That would have been nice!
    The funds you receive are taxable.
    Tax deduction rules apply.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.