Home – New Forums Tech talk Joomla ajax navigation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

just a question to the Joomla experts here:
    is it possible to have an ajax driven navigation instead of a page reload?

Well as far as I know it’s not, but that doesn’t mean anything and if anyone knows any workarounds/tricks I’d love you to share them :)

Thanks!
    Tina

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

No Joomla expert but I have used Ajax calls with Ruby, I would have thought the call would be in the actual page, or part there off, not actually in the navigation link, my limited understanding of Ajax is that basically you’re stooging the browser to cache the page and not hit the server again, giving the user the impression of a smooth transition rather than the jump of a reloading page.

Don’t know if this would work with Joomla but when I’ve done it using Ruby on Rails, you get what you want working in HTML first, so you have a fail safe if a user has Javascript turned off, then you add the Javascript call to get the Ajax eye candy.

Probably no solution but it might give you a clue if you have to write what you want from scratch.

RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Bitsa,

thanks for your reply. Well, with ajax you’re actually making calls to the server (on a certain event like clicking a navigation link) and put the answer somewhere on the page. Getting something from the server without a page reload wasn’t possible before the HttpRequest (the only thing the whole ajax story is about :) ).

I assume ROR is way more flexible providing a framework rather than a CMS targeted at not-quite-programmers?
    So the actual problem is to get the ajax behaviour somewhere into the navigation of Joomla. The catch seems to be that Joomla gathers all the views and spits them out in one lump instead of provinding hooks or anything (yup, I’m a Drupal person) to make it possible to control the output somehow programatically. Please, correct me here if I am wrong, that’s just what I’ve learned so far.

So at the moment it looks like one would have to hack the core itself; very ugly and probably not worth the effort…

Cheers,
    Tina

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Knew my Ajax wasn’t that flash, where I’ve used it was a partial view on a page ie the server only refreshed that partial view the balance didn’t reload, it shows up as href#, which is what I meant by stooging the browser (it was a drop down item list that changed as items were added).

Yes ROR is definitely a framework not, a CMS and it’s proving a challenge to get on top of it but I’m hoping the security and flexibility it offers will payoff, I’m actually more interested in building web apps than client pages and Ruby seems to be flavor of the month.

In Rails everything comes via a controller even Javavscript, all logic is abstracted out of the view, the view if well structured only presents HTML to the page.

You can have as many views and controllers as you like and the logic in the controller is only limited to your coding skill, or available ready to run “Gems”.

It works the other way round with databases, always through a controller no direct SQL calls, so Rails is pretty much database agnostic, handy for cloud deployment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.