Home – New Forums Tech talk Joomla? Too intimidating for the non savvy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    andy00
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I was making some enquiries in the last few days and i’ve been to told that i need to install Joomla for the type of website that i’ll need.
    I’m not in any way very savvy when it comes to computers but can manage most basics.
    The consultant from godaddy says that it’s a very intimidating program to work with but can be done if you read daily about it (his exact words).
    Any opinions? I don’t want to attempt something that i could potentially turn into rubbish!

Thanks

Tamper Evident
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Hi Andy,

I’m self-taught on a few different website tools and they are all intimidating at first.

You will find, through Google, step by step guides on nearly everything you need to do. The hard part is putting in the hours to search, try out, reset, try out again, reset and try again.

If you pick Joomla (which is wide spread and loved by many), stick with it. You’ll learn and become better with every thing you do.

Good luck!

Tamper Evident
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    andy00, post: 117506 wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    I’m not in any way very savvy when it comes to computers but can manage most basics.

A quick google turned up this site:
    http://www.joomlatutorials.com

Take a look at their install guide and see if you feel comfortable with their info and your level of understanding. Looks quite good to me
    http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla-tutorials/joomla-15x/joomla-15x-setup/install-joomla-15.html

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    andy00, post: 117506 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I was making some enquiries in the last few days and i’ve been to told that i need to install Joomla for the type of website that i’ll need.

Can I ask you to take a step back and ask why he/she recommended Joomla? What type of website are we talking about?

I’ve nothing against Joomla (I work with a couple of sites in it), but when I hear someone flat out recommend just one installation, I suspect it’s because the recommender doesn’t know any different.

andy00
    Up

John it’s predominantely for reviews and further down the track maybe the option to have a forum.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Joomla can be a pain for a newbie not used to it.

Wordpress could do both of the functions you mention. Certainly worth a look.

JohnTranter
    Up
    andy00, post: 117514 wrote:
    John it’s predominantely for reviews and further down the track maybe the option to have a forum.

Ok, well for instance I found this wordpress template pretty quickly:
    http://themeforest.net/item/swagmag-wordpress-magazinereview-theme/1576310

That allows you to do reviews and wordpress is considered easier for beginners to setup. (Don’t use that theme on my advice though, I know nothing about that particular theme)

There are heaps of similar themes for Joomla, Drupal, WordPress and gods knows what other cms I’ve missed off that short list. If you start a new thread titled “I want to start a review site on a budget” or similar you might get some more help from non-Joomla people who’ve got their own review sites.

Anyway, my point is don’t restrict yourself to one CMS for no reason.

My other point would be to consider using a web designer to set you up because it can time consuming and frustrating if you don’t know anything about setting up web sites. However, if you’re time rich and money poor, then go for it. (I would like to quickly point out that I’m not a web designer, so I have nothing to gain from this bit of advice)

andy00
    Up

John i’m time poor as well as money poor!

I’ll look into wordpress as well.
    I guess if i attempt it and am getting nowhere fast then i will definately be looking at a web developer.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I don’t know your situation, so not sure why you NEED to use Joomla, but I have always found WordPress much more user friendly.

andy00
    Up

Condor this is how the consultant at godaddy explained it,

”Wordpress is like a bicycle and Joomla is like a motorcycle”

He was implying that WordPress is mainly used for blogging.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    andy00, post: 117526 wrote:

He was implying that WordPress is mainly used for blogging.Sorry, but that is complete wrong and outdated. WordPress was created for blogging, but it’s moved into a full featured CMS .

Joomla has not been quite dynamic in recent times and fallen slightly away.

But it’s horses for courses. The argument of Joomla vs WordPress Vs Drupal will continue for a long time to come. I like WordPress, but it does not mean that Joomla can’t do it as well.

JohnTranter
    Up
    andy00, post: 117523 wrote:
    John i’m time poor as well as money poor!

Join the club! :)

andy00
    Up

I’ve just looked at the installation instructions for WordPress 😮

It seems i have no idea, i can only imagine how complicated Joomla must be!

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    andy00, post: 117526 wrote:

He was implying that WordPress is mainly used for blogging.

Agree with that Matt said. Not only is WP a complete CMS now, it is much simpler to use and nowhere near as bloated as Joomla.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I think WordPress is much better suited to your needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.