Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Just launched a start-up web business – YumTable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bizrunner
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Just launched a start-up web business – YumTable
    Hey all, I’m part of a new web business called YumTable.com.au that we’ve launched in Melbourne. We came up with the idea to allow restaurant owners to post last minute tables in real-time with enticing offers. Currently it’s been done for flights, tickets and hotels, but not for restaurants.

Our mission is to transform restaurant bookings and to get rid of coupons, vouchers and cards that you need to present at restaurants which is often an embarrassing experience.

Our system lets customers book directly and just rock up to a restaurant with the restaurant knowing about their booking and automatically apply the discount or deal unspoken! so it’s pretty cool.

If there are any other startups on the forum would be interested in chatting about methodologies and similar interests as a community then I’d be up for it.

cheers!
    Mark

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    bizrunner, post: 71670 wrote:
    Just launched a start-up web business – YumTable

What a great idea Mark. Hope it goes well for you. “Deal” sites are a big thing these days, but this is a new twist. I like it.

My business partner at DN Trade owns some “Voucher” sites – category killing domain names in fact. He is also doing really well.

Cheers, Ned

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Mark,

Nice idea :)

Hope it goes really well for you, and that you pick up some helpful tips from our community too.

All the best,
    Jayne

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Great concept but your biggest challenge will be getting the restaurant owners and operators to spend the time using the system at the other end (which it sounds like it’s reliant upon). Does it require that they upload excess seats each day or in real time (because capacity changes in real time pretty quickly) or is it intended to be an allocation based system like wotif? Something like http://www.dimmi.com.au/

The IT process will need to remove as much of the workload from the owner as possible because at the risk of offending restaurateurs – they are probably not the best at this type of thing (too busy during the day)

At least they are all challenges that can be overcome with a good process and technology. The fundamentals of your concept are very good. Everyone consumes meals out at venues with some regularity. There are plenty of good venues with excess capacity at any time. There are enough entreprenurial venue operators to embrace this (allthough a disturbing proportion of restaurants and cafes have very poor capabilities in business and basic marketing so selling to that crowd will be a challenge). Then in its on you to generate traffic and leads to your website. Plenty of people here that can assist but plan to spend some decent money on this.

We have some good “what you see is what you get” accounting and tax service solutions coming out in the next month and they are perfect for startups like yours. They ensure fixed costs with several different plans available (from cheap and basic to premium all inclusive).

Anyway best of luck with it.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Yeah good luck, seems like everyone is jumping into the groupon type site game now.

Can be hard to get momentum but you can do it! just dont think about making money.. give it all back to your restauranturs and maybe try going after niches like Italian food or something

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Hey Mark,

Great business idea and concept. I can just imagine checking out your site every morning for good deals for lunch that day, or a meal out at night. As you mention great for saving the hassle of having to pre-purchase the online vouchers and keep hold of coupons.

James makes some very good comments also, I can see a lot of work involved and the need to make it as quick and easy for the restaurant owners. I can envisage it being a bit difficult to maintain over a busy lunch or dinner serving.

I also wonder if restaurants are going to start getting sick of being approached by all these group discount sites.

Anyway good luck, I think it could be awesome. Keep up the work on the social media side of things also, as should work very well for this type of business.

Mike

Shane – CM Marketing
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Great idea! Hope you can expand to Sydney soon! I’ll be interested to use your site to get some great deals on meals!

Best of luck!

AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    mexham, post: 71930 wrote:
    Hey Mark,

I also wonder if restaurants are going to start getting sick of being approached by all these group discount sites.

Mike

Good point, they hate any interuptions and have so little time, It would be best to try and reach tham in some other way than calling or nocking on the door.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Love it! Great idea & best of luck with it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.