Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Just launched… feeling nervous and disheartened

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    MillieAbroad
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    ::

I posted here a couple of weeks ago about our website that was set to launch soon. As of last week we have officially launched! you can view it here

The inspiration for the store came from my daughter and my enjoyment in hunting for beautiful clothing for her. I found that shopping locally I could find plenty of beautiful items, but I could find them in every store in town, and every store in every other town too (and found the same thing reflected online). I wanted something unique – something as special as my little girl. Through the store I want to be able to offer people beautiful clothing not readily available in Australia (and in some cases not available anywhere else in Australia)

Our target market is women aged 30-40 with a disposable income who are willing to pay that little bit extra for something that is unique and of exceptional quality.

We are not yet fully stocked (most stock will arrive at the end of this month) and as such we won’t start advertising until late Jan/early Feb.

However, with the help of friends, facebook and word of mouth we have had over 300 unique hits since going live, but none of them have converted to sales

The rational side of me says that’s because it’s just friends and family having a sticky beak (which I am very grateful for)- we can’t expect anything else as we haven’t yet started advertising to people who are actually looking for what we sell.

The tired mum of a one year old (who hasn’t slept for the last three nights) side of me is in full panic mode feeling like this will never be successful and that I should start waving my life savings goodbye

So my questions are:

Can you see anything on the site that might be turning people off from making a purchase?

Is there anything we can do to improve our sales?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Despite being somewhat sleep deprived I am very good at receiving constructive feedback. Promise I won’t have a melt down :)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Congratulations on launching. I sincerely wish you the best with your venture.

(a) Regarding your left hand panel, the correct grammar for ‘Lets’ is Let’s because it means ‘Let us’. There are countless examples of people using the apostrophe for plurals when they should not use one, but in this case it should be.

I have written more about the apostrophe here about it’s use if you would like to know more. http://www.unicorngraphics.com.au/blog/files/grammar-apostrophe.html

(b) Although I like your design, the brown broken style lettering can be hard to read on some screens. I understand you have used it like a ‘stamp’, so that’s just a thought for readability on screen, not for design style. Although you say your customers could be 30-40, many could be grandparents and it could cause a problem in navigation. Maybe not. But only time will tell.

(c) Until stock arrives you can’t really expect too much from sales unless you promote it some other way, because most people would expect the item delivered very soon after purchase. You don’t want to disappoint purchasers – so perhaps a gift voucher or some little incentive for pre-purchase might be worth doing?

Please don’t feel disheartened – it’s an exciting time. Another young mum began her site a few months ago and has had much success with it which is complemented by her Facebook page. She has married the two together exceptionally well; and her reasons for creating her business are also to be with her young children as well as have something worthwhile to sell. Might be worth looking at for encouragement because she seems to be doing the right things in promoting it. http://www.littlefairydoor.com.au

All the best for 2012.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Congratulations on launching. I sincerely wish you the best with your venture.

(a) Regarding your left hand panel, the correct grammar for ‘Lets’ is Let’s because it means ‘Let us’. There are countless examples of people using the apostrophe for plurals when they should not use one, but in this case it should be.

I have written more about the apostrophe here about it’s use if you would like to know more. http://www.unicorngraphics.com.au/blog/files/grammar-apostrophe.html

(b) Although I like your design, the brown broken style lettering can be hard to read on some screens. I understand you have used it like a ‘stamp’, so that’s just a thought for readability on screen, not for design style. Although you say your customers could be 30-40, many could be grandparents and it could cause a problem in navigation. Maybe not. But only time will tell.

(c) Until stock arrives you can’t really expect too much from sales unless you promote it some other way, because most people would expect the item delivered very soon after purchase. You don’t want to disappoint purchasers – so perhaps a gift voucher or some little incentive for pre-purchase might be worth doing?

Please don’t feel disheartened – it’s an exciting time. Another young mum began her site a few months ago and has had much success with it which is complemented by her Facebook page. She has married the two together exceptionally well; and her reasons for creating her business are also to be with her young children as well as have something worthwhile to sell. Might be worth looking at for encouragement because she seems to be doing the right things in promoting it. http://www.littlefairydoor.com.au

All the best for 2012.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’ll leave the website to others, but what I’m interested to know is, you mention “I found”, “I wanted” and your motivation to start the business was obviously based on your own experience.

Aiming at such a niche market, what did your market research tell you? What is your market looking for and where are they looking for it? If you didn’t do this market research before launching, maybe now would be a good time. Where do these women shop, meet for coffee, work? Go to where they are and ask them questions. Would you consider buying these clothes? How much would you be prepared to pay? Do you shop online? Straight from the horse’s mouth is always best. You may be surprised to find your real target market is actually quite different to what you believe.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’ll leave the website to others, but what I’m interested to know is, you mention “I found”, “I wanted” and your motivation to start the business was obviously based on your own experience.

Aiming at such a niche market, what did your market research tell you? What is your market looking for and where are they looking for it? If you didn’t do this market research before launching, maybe now would be a good time. Where do these women shop, meet for coffee, work? Go to where they are and ask them questions. Would you consider buying these clothes? How much would you be prepared to pay? Do you shop online? Straight from the horse’s mouth is always best. You may be surprised to find your real target market is actually quite different to what you believe.

Wendy :)

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Hi there again,

CONGRATULATIONS on your launch, that’s a huge achievement!

I can’t offer any words of wisdom on how to get sales, but I can say that when I opened my store, the wait for the first few sales was agonising.. so I feel your pain :) But like Karen said, don’t be disheartened, especially as this will be the first of many, many challenges ahead as your business evolves.

Good luck with it.

Angela

ps. the colour scheme of your buttons works much better now ;)

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Hi there again,

CONGRATULATIONS on your launch, that’s a huge achievement!

I can’t offer any words of wisdom on how to get sales, but I can say that when I opened my store, the wait for the first few sales was agonising.. so I feel your pain :) But like Karen said, don’t be disheartened, especially as this will be the first of many, many challenges ahead as your business evolves.

Good luck with it.

Angela

ps. the colour scheme of your buttons works much better now ;)

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

You and many women entrepreneurs of your age have missed a large target market. That is the internet savvy grandmother with time and money.

I can’t believe how many times on this forum I’ve seen target markets stop at 50 or 60 which is short sighted enough – but 40?? Some people are still having babies at 40.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

You and many women entrepreneurs of your age have missed a large target market. That is the internet savvy grandmother with time and money.

I can’t believe how many times on this forum I’ve seen target markets stop at 50 or 60 which is short sighted enough – but 40?? Some people are still having babies at 40.

MillieAbroad
    Up

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses.

Firstly Karen, thank you for pointing out the apostrophe issue!! I will get onto fixing that asap.

Also thank you for your feedback re: the brown font. I know exactly what you are saying. I am somewhat attached to it, but I think perhaps I have to find an alternative for the reasons you suggest.

and thanks for the encouragement :)

Thanks Angela also for the encouragement :) I am pleased the buttons have improved.

Jane – I can’t believe i didn’t mention grandparents and gift givers. They are in my business plan so I hadn’t neglected them, just forgot to mention them in this post!

and Wendy I have left you to last because I don’t have an immediate answer, but you have given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate it. I will be mulling over that today. I wish I could say that I did already have the answers, but I am the kind of person who jumps straight in and that might be my downfall… Fingers crossed it’s not though!!

MillieAbroad
    Up

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses.

Firstly Karen, thank you for pointing out the apostrophe issue!! I will get onto fixing that asap.

Also thank you for your feedback re: the brown font. I know exactly what you are saying. I am somewhat attached to it, but I think perhaps I have to find an alternative for the reasons you suggest.

and thanks for the encouragement :)

Thanks Angela also for the encouragement :) I am pleased the buttons have improved.

Jane – I can’t believe i didn’t mention grandparents and gift givers. They are in my business plan so I hadn’t neglected them, just forgot to mention them in this post!

and Wendy I have left you to last because I don’t have an immediate answer, but you have given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate it. I will be mulling over that today. I wish I could say that I did already have the answers, but I am the kind of person who jumps straight in and that might be my downfall… Fingers crossed it’s not though!!

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

props on the launch!

just a couple of comments.

i love the design. minimalist at its best. though a little too minimal :)

i would love to see a general gallery (ill even offer my kids to model for free! haha).
    i would love to see a page that conveys your passion and your message. Why are you doing this, why do you think its needed, basically what you wrote in your thread here.

to me, it just seems like “just a shop” with nothing other than products.

site wise, where are your social media buttons? the contact us should be much higher up (i had to look for it everywhere) overall the text is a little small and you have huge real estate on the right hand side on some pages (im viewing on a 1440×900 screen) so maybe bumping it up a couple of points will make it easier to read. (imagine this on 1920×1080 – almost standard these days) and you site will be TINY!

overall, i like it!

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

props on the launch!

just a couple of comments.

i love the design. minimalist at its best. though a little too minimal :)

i would love to see a general gallery (ill even offer my kids to model for free! haha).
    i would love to see a page that conveys your passion and your message. Why are you doing this, why do you think its needed, basically what you wrote in your thread here.

to me, it just seems like “just a shop” with nothing other than products.

site wise, where are your social media buttons? the contact us should be much higher up (i had to look for it everywhere) overall the text is a little small and you have huge real estate on the right hand side on some pages (im viewing on a 1440×900 screen) so maybe bumping it up a couple of points will make it easier to read. (imagine this on 1920×1080 – almost standard these days) and you site will be TINY!

overall, i like it!

MillieAbroad
    Up

Hi Gossipism,

Thanks for all of your comments. These are all the things I need to hear.

The social media buttons are on their way. My web developer is on holidays so I am patiently waiting.

I see what you mean about ‘just a shop’. I will make some changes this week to add some personality.

With the general gallery, can you give me an example? I think I understand what you mean but not sure.

Couldn’t agree more about the Contact us being higher – this was something I was aware of but hadn’t yet got to fixing. Will make changes once my web developer returns (I am doing all content myself but when it comes to adjusting items on the template I have no idea!)

Also thanks for the advice re: space on right hand side. Not something I had noticed.

Hopefully if you were to visit in a weeks time or so you will find the site improved. Hopefully I can get the personal touch across.

MillieAbroad
    Up

Hi Gossipism,

Thanks for all of your comments. These are all the things I need to hear.

The social media buttons are on their way. My web developer is on holidays so I am patiently waiting.

I see what you mean about ‘just a shop’. I will make some changes this week to add some personality.

With the general gallery, can you give me an example? I think I understand what you mean but not sure.

Couldn’t agree more about the Contact us being higher – this was something I was aware of but hadn’t yet got to fixing. Will make changes once my web developer returns (I am doing all content myself but when it comes to adjusting items on the template I have no idea!)

Also thanks for the advice re: space on right hand side. Not something I had noticed.

Hopefully if you were to visit in a weeks time or so you will find the site improved. Hopefully I can get the personal touch across.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.