Home – New Forums Tech talk Just started my 1st adwords campaign

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

I hope I’m not being rude, but, I’d be interested to know how much it costs you to pick up a customer soley via adwords.

I did a trial about 6 months back, I too switched off the content network as you just get untargetted traffic.

My estimate is around $300 or so per customer, but I have never really followed through with trying it properly as I wasn’t ready to go to market at the time.

Adwords is easy, and oh boy, if every web developer and his dog didn’t try it….our advertising lives would be much better :) Anyway, id be REALLY keen to know what it costs you per successful customer.

My observation since then has been that pretty much most web design companies on google adwords don’t keep it up. There are a few, and they fit a certain market…

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    john.sheppard, post: 28182 wrote:
    Hello there,

I hope I’m not being rude, but, I’d be interested to know how much it costs you to pick up a customer soley via adwords.

I did a trial about 6 months back, I too switched off the content network as you just get untargetted traffic.

My estimate is around $300 or so per customer, but I have never really followed through with trying it properly as I wasn’t ready to go to market at the time.

Adwords is easy, and oh boy, if every web developer and his dog didn’t try it….our advertising lives would be much better :) Anyway, id be REALLY keen to know what it costs you per successful customer.

My observation since then has been that pretty much most web design companies on google adwords don’t keep it up. There are a few, and they fit a certain market…

Hi John

Yes, you’re right. I imagine it must be pretty hard to gain ground with campaigns solely aimed at web design.

I do also feel that aside from conversions, it’s important to get that click-through rate happening to increase visibility and so that your site is seen as active (high traffic) by the search engine crawlers. The trick though is to get on the first page of the sponsored links.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 28186 wrote:
    The trick though is to get on the first page of the sponsored links.

When I trialled it for obvious keywords like “web design”, it was around $2.50 to get on the front page some of the time and about $4.00 to be on there all the time.

At the time I knew my website wasn’t good enough to convert leads into sales so I didn’t bother (it still isn’t lol). When you are paying such rates for such a fickle crowd you really gotta make sure you have the other end (aesthetics, copywriting, etc) spot on.

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

I worked with Adwords for a while. I made heaps of mistakes.

I didn’t have a landing page for my ads. I just directed them to my home page and it wasn’t designed for that. There was no compelling offer – there was nothing to collect email address.

I didn’t split test the ads and find out the best version.

I didn’t check analytics to see where the visitors went etc. I did not track conversion. When I did check I found that I was getting clicks on Adwords but those click never made it through to my website – it realised that the clicks I was paying for was my competitors using up my budget.

I was targeting keywords that I thought would be important. I found out through organic ranking what prospects were actually looking for.

I am now just concentrating on SEO. I will probably get back to paid online advertising but my approach will be different.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi All – some great POVs here.

John – nowhere near $300, at least not if you do it right! Arnold points out several things you can do to get the best out of a campaign.

Having said that…

If you have a good site you can get great results just directing visitors to your home page or other suitable page. The thing is if you are using Adwords right then you are only getting traffic that is looking for your service! So bring them to a page that shows you offer that service!

If you are bringing people looking for ‘blogging training’ or ‘blogging coaching’ to any particular page, ask yourself does that page actually promise an answer to their search? Does it clearly show you provide that very service?

Similarly with ‘web design’ or any other service really… some design companies including Magicdust have been doing that very keyword for years now :)

Be real careful with your keyword selection and what matching options you choose, you can get all sorts of unintended search traffic through there, especially if you are using the default broad match option. Keep a very careful eye on your SQRs (Search Query Reports from the reporting options of your Adwords account). Avoid the temptation to try keywords like ‘small business blogs’ as people searching like that are not likely to be looking for training on the subject.

Webmistress – not sure what you meant by a high clickthrough increasing visibility and making a site look active to other search engine crawlers? Getting Adwords clicks does not influence how search engine bots see a site?

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Aidan, post: 28242 wrote:
    John – nowhere near $300, at least not if you do it right!

Thanks Aiden, all sounds like pretty good advice to me. It’s nice to know I was too high also :)

I guess my logic was that there maybe about a billion web design companies in Austrailia, and what’s the first thing they all think of…Adwords has virtually zero cost of entry and is so much less management than a full-on sales engine…From a business sense, the drawback to low cost of entry is high competition….so I just figured aim high :)

One day, I will have my ad there also, when I have all basis covered and then I’ll know for sure :)

The other thing to consider is the demographic of people you pick up there, but maybe thats a different thread.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Thanks all – learning a lot. I’m in a hurry to get this thing off the ground but I guess that’s not the tao. I’ll take some time to fix up a landing page.

Currently my ad reads

Small Business Websites
    A blog is a powerful voice. Learn
    to use it with pro coaching
    http://www.BecauseYouLoveIt.com

with the keywords

small business
    small business website
    small business marketing
    small business web design
    blog coaching.

So far I had 4 impressions for small business. Seems like my $40 is going to last last a while…

I much prefer the grass roots way of quality content and word of mouth but we’ll see how it goes.

Aidan
    Up

Hi Ali,

one way to keep things simple with Adwords while you are learning is to pick keywords that truly represent what you sell…

…so if you are selling Yamasonic hifi equipment you might have keywords like ‘yamasonic amplifiers’, ‘yamasonic hifi’, ‘yamasonic 120Y’, ‘yamasonic speakers’ etc

You are not really selling ‘small business’ so maybe ditch that one. If you are selling small business websites and small business marketing services the next keywords are ok and so on…

Now if you want to ensure you get just those searches and not some variations on their themes it would be best to use exact match only as the keyword matching option, not the default broad match.

I’m not saying broad match is bad, far from it, it is a great way to discover new keywords and get additional trafffic but only if you are managing your traffic very carefully with SQR’s on a very frequent basis.

If you are not in a position to do that you need to avoid broad matching.

Phrase match is a ‘half way house’ it would match your ‘blog coaching’ keyword with a search for ‘blog coaching sydney’ or ‘expert blog coaching’ etc (though it would also match with ‘lousy blog coaching’ – lol)

That point about matching is very important, if you don’t lock it down Google might show your ad to some student searching say ‘business blogs’ looking for info to help write an essay.

You don’t want useless traffic on your site spending your money…

Speaking of which are you bidding enough to get into rotation anyway?

Thats a few cents on keyword selection and match options, have you critiqued your web page to see it clearly makes the offer of blog coaching? (Personally, I’m not sure I see it!).

Hope this helps

Good Luck

ScottD
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

great advice from Aidan,

i agree that the advert should relate to the offer on the page. You could write a blog post/page about the topic you want to promote, have a specific call to action about that service and use that as a landing page for your ads. This should help increase your quality score and reduce the cost of each click.

there are some great videos on youtube google business channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleBusiness

happy bidding
    Scott

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

I agree with having a specific landing page for that ad. When they get to the home page there is lots of other distractions and it is not clear what you want them to do.

You should think about sending them to a specific landing page – the blog post is a good start – but consider a having a specific call to action.

Calls to action could include:

• Download free ebook – Blogging – becoming an expert in your field
    • Join my newsletter list
    • Become a member of memebrship site with lots more free tools and info
    • Call me now for …

People are unlikely to buy the first time they visit your site – you only have 5-8 seconds. Collecting an email address in exchange for free info enables you to continue the relationship with them.

The next few emails you send them interesting valuable information so that you can build on that trust. They will come to you when they are ready. You may have to educate them on why they have to blog.

I am a big fan of blogging – it is a very powerful and simple way of building trust, reputation and traffic.

Good luck

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Thanks Arnold, Aidan ImLazy for your great advice.

The ebooks on its way but I really should have setup a targetted page for landers.

And thanks Aidan – your right I’ve got some useless traffic from the small business keyword.

DKBlair
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

A few tips to increase your impressions and reduce your click cost.

1 keyword per addgroup.

eg 50 keywords, 50 different adds, plus phrase and exact.

Main keyword in your headline and in your add.

Failure to do this will give you a low quality score and a higher click cost.

I run adwords campaigns for some of my clients with 1000’s of keywords.

Fortunately there are automated tools to produce 1000’s of ads in seconds. I wouldnt even consider doing it manually.

By slapping all your keywords into the one ad group will lead to the “google slap”

By following the above steps I usually get a click cost way below Googles estimates for positions 1-3

Aidan
    Up
    DKBlair, post: 28796 wrote:
    Failure to do this will give you a low quality score and a higher click cost.

LOL – Don’t go frightening everyone! I have lots of adgroups running many keywords with great QS on all!

I do agree though for more advanced advertisers that having tightly related very similar keywords together in an adgroup of their own is a good idea but I don’t believe you need a single ad per every keyword. I can’t while I have some adgroups with dozens of keywords all at QS 10!

QS is influenced by the landing page and historical overall CTR too!

DKBlair
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

You are right Aiden.

You can get away with 10 keywords that are tight in one add group.

It’s just the software I use (Speed PPC) does one keyword per add group and Google prefers that, so I do it.

And gives me 10/10 on most occassions.

But in my experience I see businesses and newbie internet marketers making mistakes and paying a small fortune, is lumping all there keywords into the one add group – it just doesn’t work.

Aidan
    Up

Ahh..

Speed PPC

I must take another look at it sometime – do you use it for generating landing pages too or just adgroup building?

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.