Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Just thought I’d finally say Hi!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up
    ::

I’ve made a few posts around the forums now, but I don’t think I’ve ever posted in here and thought a proper introduction might be in order.

My name’s Dave and my wife and I are starting an Asian Take-away shop. I’m Australian and she’s PR and has been here for quite some time. She’s overdue to become an Aussie herself and presses me all the time to get that ball rolling for her, there just always seems to be something more important… Like raising two young kids or trying to start a business. lol

fd6f30dcbe08d00db82e03cc914f11e5.jpg
    We’re on the NSW Central Coast in the Gosford area, and if there’s anyone here from around this way, I’d be interested to hear from you.

We’re in the throws of signing a lease in a shopping centre and it’s a very scary and daunting process (as some of my posts will and have indicated).

The hardest thing we’ve found is probably just coordinating anything. Neither of us are leaders, but we’re good do’ers, as long as we know what it is we have got to do. Sometimes though it’s just not easy working out what that is!

But we’re getting there.

One of the things I find most challenging is dealing with people’s wordings. I’m a very literate person and I take things VERY literally. If a contract says “including all risks as deemed appropriate by the landlord” then scrub that sentence and tell me what it is you deem appropriate. I had to ask the landlords agent 5 times the other day before he finally said, “Look mate, you’re the first one who’s ever asked, just do it for X, Y and Z.” My response then was, “well, put that in there then.” To which they obviously wouldn’t. I realise everyone is trying to cover their butts here, but please just be straight forward about it. These (what I call “motherhood” statements) mean nothing to me, they are unquantifiable, but hey, what do I know…. And I’ve digressed (I do that).

We’re very excited, but very scared. Neither of us have been in this position before and a lot of my stupid questions have yielded some good answers that have been very helpful, so if I don’t say it enough, thanks everyone for your contributions. It ALL gets taken on board.

I will PM my personal contact details if anyone want’s to get in touch, otherwise…

Stay healthy. Live long and prosper! (I don’t know why I said that, I’m not an ET fan! :D Yeah, yeah, yeah… I know ET and star wars are different shows :P)…

If you haven’t got it yet, I have a stupid sense of humour. I think that comes with having a 2 and a 4 year old. My mind has turned to mush. Or maybe that’ just the result of reading too many contracts. :/

Thanks for reading.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Hey Dave M! Thanks so much for the official intro – you’re right, it was about time :)

And I had to laugh at this:

“One of the things I find most challenging is dealing with people’s wordings. I’m a very literate person and I take things VERY literally.”

Because my husband is also an incredibly literal person and sweet jesus, negotiating any kind of lease or contract with him is a nightmare!

SocialStep
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Hi Dave

Good luck with everything! We’re on the Central Coast too, always good to see a local on here.

-Kevin

MichaelF
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Good luck Dave!

Are you able to express post one of your dishes over here to Perth? ;)

Agree on the leases. They love to keep it as vague and as open ended as possible just to cover themselves. Always be a hardass with them!

d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up

Thanks All!

Kelly Exeter FS Editor, post: 237090, member: 63738 wrote:
    Because my husband is also an incredibly literal person and sweet jesus, negotiating any kind of lease or contract with him is a nightmare!
    I did literally lol! I’m sure my wife feels the same way! Remind me to never introduce you two!

[USER=79983]@MichaelF[/USER] (I’m TRYING to move on, but it’s almost certainly impossible, I really can’t wait until we open the doors) you know in TWO places in the whole contract there references to 1. “Interpretation” that a contract favours each party jointly and equally, and 2. “Quiet enjoyment” that the tenant shall not be bothered unnecessarily by the landlord.

The remainder of the contract goes into great length into exactly how the landlord WILL be bothering me AND offers me none of the protections that are extended to the landlord in every other paragraph. ie, almost every paragraph either a) obliges me to do something or penalise me for not doing it, or b) indemnifies them from something.

I’m sorry, I really am in a good mood today, but someone said lease, or contract or something that rhymes with them, and my body just started shaking lol

and YES! we delivery to Perth! although for being out of area, the delivery charge can get a bit outrageous (like Sydney tolls, you have to pay for my return trip!)

And Kevin, a local. YAY! Aussie Aussie Aussie, Woy Woy Woy!

Rohan@TD
    • Total posts: 164
    Up

[USER=72747]@d3mad[/USER] Welcome to the forums. We’re about to start supporting a new venture in the hospitality industry and after a little bit of (my own) time looking into commercial real estate venues I’m certainly glad my social network extends to a few commercial real-estate professionals I can call on. Good luck to you and your wife.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.